• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint British Monarchs Collection

harrygill111

6 minutes ago, JTerry3 said:

Gives the impression that while the whole rest of the world is about 100x more technologically advanced compared to 300 years ago, the Royal Mint has somehow managed to devolve in that time!

Devil's advocate, but aren't these supposed to be modern representations of old portraits? This is what the strike on a lot of modern coins looks like.

15 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

Devil's advocate, but aren't these supposed to be modern representations of old portraits? This is what the strike on a lot of modern coins looks like.

Hmm dunno if they’re meant to be modern representations or replicas. 

21 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

When the time comes, I wonder if the RM will be able to do better than this?

GeorgeV.jpg

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Hmm dunno if they’re meant to be modern representations or replicas. 

I suppose I meant that however they're described, they're inevitably going to reflect modern practice.

Just now, Zhorro said:

When the time comes, I wonder if the RM will be able to do better than this?

GeorgeV.jpg

That's a beauty!

@Shinus73

An interesting bit off the RM website: 

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/british-monarchs/george-i/behind-the-design/

The aim is not to modernise but sympathise with the original. So, we would remove scratches or dents that were made during the lifecycle of the coin but not remove the character of the original minting process, such as fishtailed lettering, irregular beading, slight doubling from the striking. There is a real balance to create the best version of the coin that could have been made at the time, whilst using modern minting processes.

Job done. Got placed 200 odd in the queue, grabbed my 1oz silver and back to waiting for the next one now. 

Edited by Ashes

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I did something stupid. I bought the 2 Oz silver even though I don’t have the first two in 2 Oz silver. 🫤

Edit: I guess now I’m in the market for the 2 Oz silvers of Henry VII and James I 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I'm kind of in the same boat but in reverse so maybe we could come to an arrangement hehe? I'm not sure I can carry on collecting these in 2oz so thinking of swapping my 2oz Henry for a 1oz. I don't have any of the James' but now have (pending successful delivery) both a 1oz & 2oz George!

7 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I did something stupid. I bought the 2 Oz silver even though I don’t have the first two in 2 Oz silver. 🫤

Edit: I guess now I’m in the market for the 2 Oz silvers of Henry VII and James I 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Does it seem so stupid now that it's sold out already? 😀

1 minute ago, JTerry3 said:

I'm kind of in the same boat but in reverse so maybe we could come to an arrangement hehe? I'm not sure I can carry on collecting these in 2oz so thinking of swapping my 2oz Henry for a 1oz. I don't have any of the James' but now have (pending successful delivery) both a 1oz & 2oz George!

I’m even worse. I got a 1oz gold Henry .. no way I’m keeping that up. Also got 2oz silver  Henry so  Need a 2oz James to keep the set going 

Aaaahhh😉

13 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

mintage up a little on the 1oz

Yeah.. what was it before? I seem to remember £90 too, or was that wishful thinking?

Aaaahhh😉