• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any experience in selling to the Britannia Coin Company, Royal Wootton Bassett, UK

ChrisUKproofs

Greetings Team

I hope this isn't a controversial topic. Due to Covid, work has decreased dramatically and bills still need paying.

The appeal to me, of a company like Britannia, is that I can take several gold proofs and sets to them, they'll examine them and offer cash or bank transfer within an hour.

Much easier than trying to take detailed photos (with dust specs on capsules etc) and describing in detail each coin on an auction site, then posting and waiting to learn if the buyer is happy. Certainly better than risking Ebay, where an idiot buyer can open a capsule, handle the coin, put it back then demand his money back.

The drawback of selling to a dealer of course, is that I won't be offered as much as if I sold each item privately.

I've not used Britannia before. I rang them for a quote on a 2018 five-coin Sovereign set today. They'd pay £2,834.00. They'll pay up to £8,000 in cash on any one deal. Anything above would be via bank transfer to prevent money-laundering. I've always preferred dealing in cash when possible. 

Not sure I'm yet eligible to offer an item for sale on here yet?

All views, as always, very gratefully received. Has anyone dealt with Britannia or a similar company?

Wishing you all, far too late, a very Happy New Year of collecting.

The BCC have a stand at the Midland Coin Fair every month. I have bought several coins from them and found them to be pukka. I have not sold anything to them but I did enquire if they would take a bullion Britannia if I needed the cash and they were agreeable. If you can get the price you want I don’t see any problem dealing with them. By the way, I have no connection with the company other than as a customer.

I can find one for sale now at a dealer for £4495 which obviously includes a nice mark up.

so let's play devil's advocate and assume dealer makes £1k profit, that still leaves £661 on the table??

Might be worthwhile to you for handiness but personally I'd reach out to the big sovereign guys on here and seek advice first.

A few names that come to mind that are always dealing with sovereigns are @GoldDiggerDave @AndrewSL76 @matt1r @BackyardBullion

@Colnago sorry if I left any big sovereign collectors out 🙂

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Thanks @James32. I would probably suggest @1stsovereign who I have huge respect and time for as well as @TheGoldSovereign who has more knowledge than you could hope for.

Other than that, selling on here is good and you can build a reputation. Trust goes both ways, remember! The buyers have to be open and honest too!!

I would be more than happy to help facilitate a sale of these - have done so many times for new members. 

Dealers will get whatever price they can for a quick sale, they take the risk of holding the stock for a long time. 

The offer you got does not seem a great price compared with taking the time yourself to find the right buyer. 

Time is money, they are basically charging you for their time to find a buyer. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Just now, kimchi said:

I think you'd be absolutely bonkers to sell for that if they are good condition :wacko:

Had a feeling  ( although have no experience with sovereigns until this year) there was more on the table.

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Had a feeling  ( although have no experience with sovereigns until this year) there was more on the table.

Sapphire Coronation privy. Add up the amount of gold, and they've offered a flat rate over the phone without even seeing them (of course they have)!

It's not an untypical offer from a dealer so no criticism there but...blimey!

I bet poor OP's inbox is overflowing!

They are offering +3.25% over spot

Do yourself a favour and at least try and sell them privately- quickest way would be to split the set- and try for at the very least +10% on the individual coins.

Big difference cash wise and at +10% they would still be a bargain at around £345 per Sovereign and you’ll easily get bigger premiums for the half/ Quarter and you could sell the presentation case separately on eBay- must be worth £50 minimum.

Jeez- there were only 748 of these 5 coin sets issued.

EA48C0C1-5E96-4894-B8BA-DB6512737650.thumb.png.6457d7b71b19d6061ab3211db2ff4e34.png39F16932-3238-4DD1-A5FF-C9476D7C3C2B.thumb.png.8134b362493420df1f39e1c87bdf3159.png
8A2BCBF5-029C-409E-8B6B-5C02B225AE3A.thumb.png.035289cd1917d3f8d8f2f079d438f8b2.png

Edited by richatthecroft

9 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

They are offering +3.25% over spot

Do yourself a favour and at least try and sell them privately- quickest way would be to split the set- and try for at least +10% on the individual coins.

Big difference cash wise and at +10% they would still be a bargain at around £345 per Sovereign and you’ll easily get bigger premiums for the half/ Quarter and you could sell the presentation case separately on eBay- must be worth £50 minimum.

Jeez- there were only 748 of these 5 coin sets issued.

EA48C0C1-5E96-4894-B8BA-DB6512737650.thumb.png.6457d7b71b19d6061ab3211db2ff4e34.png39F16932-3238-4DD1-A5FF-C9476D7C3C2B.thumb.png.8134b362493420df1f39e1c87bdf3159.png
8A2BCBF5-029C-409E-8B6B-5C02B225AE3A.thumb.png.035289cd1917d3f8d8f2f079d438f8b2.png

I kept trying to tag you too sir above but kept getting random names lol