• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice please..

lst65

Good morning - recently joined. I’ve started to purchase silver bullion bars - différent weights and  4 10oz Britannia bars so far. . I’d like to buy some each month (10oz). Where is best to buy please? And which mints/suppliers - RMR, Pamp, etc?

Thank you. 🙏

Edited by lst65
Just the wording.

5 minutes ago, lst65 said:

Good morning - recently joined. I’ve started to purchase silver bullion bars - a 1 kg and 4 10oz Britannia bars. I’d like to buy some each month (10oz). Where is best to buy please? And which mints/suppliers - RMR, Pamp, etc?

Thank you. 🙏

This forum is def the best place to buy. Secondary but also from most dealers.... Most dealers are also active on this forum. 

And always buy what you like. Don't buy what others like. 

Edited by Jvw

Get it here - privately so no VAT, although dealers are still competitive :) 
You can always ask for certain items with a reasonable price target also. 

Why no gold? a SOV a month adds up after a while depending on your reasons for buying? :) 
Much easier to store and a better store of 
value. Does not degrade also. 

Edited by Stacktastic

If you are in for long term it may be worth stacking CGT free bullion like Britannia's, CGT allowance is only about 12k per year. Worth considering depending on time scale, ultimate stack size.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

I'd always look on here 1st if you are stacking and the best deals go quick so get yourself a membership as you get to see them immediately and it pays for itself after a few purchases anyway, and don't forget CGT is only relevant if you are planning to sell and that 12k is your allowance so it only refers profits on what you are selling, not total sales. 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

6 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

Get it here - privately so no VAT, although dealers are still competitive :) 
You can always ask for certain items with a reasonable price target also. 

Why no gold? a SOV a month adds up after a while depending on your reasons for buying? :) 
Much easier to store and a better store of 
value. Does not degrade also. 

Thank you - yes spreading the love with some Gold too but obviously at a much higher price point so looking at options there. Do bars come up for sale much on here? And yes - I’m not liking shelling out VAT every silver purchase so privately would be good. 

5 hours ago, Gordy said:

I'd always look on here 1st if you are stacking and the best deals go quick so get yourself a membership as you get to see them immediately and it pays for itself after a few purchases anyway, and don't forget CGT is only relevant if you are planning to sell and that 12k is your allowance so it only refers profits on what you are selling, not total sales. 

Thank you 😊🙏

7 hours ago, Jvw said:

This forum is def the best place to buy. Secondary but also from most dealers.... Most dealers are also active on this forum. 

And always buy what you like. Don't buy what others like. 

Thank you. 🙏

20 minutes ago, lst65 said:

Thank you - yes spreading the love with some Gold too but obviously at a much higher price point so looking at options there. Do bars come up for sale much on here? And yes - I’m not liking shelling out VAT every silver purchase so privately would be good. 

Silver bars do come up fairly often on the forum. i notice you are not a premium member. The problem with not being a premium member is you will not see the items that other members put up for sale straightaway. If you go to the for sale section. https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/13-united-kingdom-ungraded/ you will see you cannot see everything on the page. The better buys often go quickly but means the non-premium members generally miss out. It depends whether you think it is worth it - i have been a silver member for a few years now - this is the lowest priced membership and is enough to see all the selling section.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 hours ago, sixgun said:

Silver bars do come up fairly often on the forum. i notice you are not a premium member. The problem with not being a premium member is you will not see the items that other members put up for sale straightaway. If you go to the for sale section. https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/13-united-kingdom-ungraded/ you will see you cannot see everything on the page. The better buys often go quickly but means the non-premium members generally miss out. It depends whether you think it is worth it - i have been a silver member for a few years now - this is the lowest priced membership and is enough to see all the selling section.

This is great advice. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

18 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

Out of interest, as many people focus on coins, you are into bars? Are you stacking for volume?

Hi Kevin - I’m not ruling coins out but would like a mix of bars at this point if I’m honest. Build a fair volume before I consider diversifying to coins maybe. One of the major reasons of joining this forum is to learn and build my knowledge. So I’m open to ideas. What do you think ?

13 minutes ago, lst65 said:

Hi Kevin - I’m not ruling coins out but would like a mix of bars at this point if I’m honest. Build a fair volume before I consider diversifying to coins maybe. One of the major reasons of joining this forum is to learn and build my knowledge. So I’m open to ideas. What do you think ?

If I may add my two penny's worth,I've been in your position (bought for shear weight to keep oz average down) but then especially on here currently buy coins as they work out the same per oz as bars and are far easier to liquidate if needs be.

1 minute ago, James32 said:

If I may add my two penny's worth,I've been in your position (bought for shear weight to keep oz average down) but then especially on here currently buy coins as they work out the same per oz as bars and are far easier to liquidate if needs be.

Thank you James…. As I learn more I will look further afield. 

10 minutes ago, lst65 said:

Thank you James…. As I learn more I will look 

Buy what ever makes you happy (you and only you have to look at it lol) but just try and keep an open mind to all eventualities.

If I may ask,what did you're last 10oz bar cost you?

12 hours ago, Gordy said:

If you get the next Great Engravers in gold you will likely exceed the limit for the year on one sale!

1 hour ago, James32 said:

Buy what ever makes you happy (you and only you have to look at it lol) but just try and keep an open mind to all eventualities.

If I may ask,what did you're last 10oz bar cost you?

Too much James 🤣 I purchased from a main dealer nut aware I’m now paying a lot of VAT on top of course..

Just now, lst65 said:

Too much James 🤣 I purchased from a main dealer nut aware I’m now paying a lot of VAT on top of course..

Yes been there done that 😁 it's just a 10oz bar off the top of my head will cost around 240 - 260 on here when they appear and deffs £260+ at a dealer.

Whereas the same 10 ounces in single coins can be had on average for 230-240 unless special collectables which will be understandably more...I'm not trying to put you off bars by any means infact there is a guy on here selling 100gram bars for 70 each (just type 100grams Into search engine) so say if you bought three of those bars which is nearly 10oz for £210 then that's cheaper than anywhere in the UK....basically enjoy your journey and remember there's more that one way to skin a cat lol.

5 hours ago, lst65 said:

@James32 said it very well already 😉

Best advice before you buy is to know what you're stacking for, be that speculation, wealth preservation, desaster preparedness, other. Then know how you'll want to sell, aka having an exit strategy. Then buy what you can sell best in that scenario.

Coins are more popular, but go through the trade areas and the Today I received thread and get your own impression.

3 hours ago, KevinFlynn said:

@James32 said it very well already 😉

Best advice before you buy is to know what you're stacking for, be that speculation, wealth preservation, desaster preparedness, other. Then know how you'll want to sell, aka having an exit strategy. Then buy what you can sell best in that scenario.

Coins are more popular, but go through the trade areas and the Today I received thread and get your own impression.

Thanks so much Kevin. 

Also a newbie here and I thought this seemed like a sensible place to ask rather than start a new thread - if one is buying bars to stack as an investment, what difference if any does the manufacturer have on resale value / ease of liquidation?

Because if I look on Bleyers for example, a Metalor 1oz gold bar is £33 more than a Baird's 1oz gold bar, and a Pamp one is somewhere in between.  I'm using gold as the example but it's the same with silver from what I can see. Aren't all ounces created equal? 

8 minutes ago, sjhdesmond said:

Also a newbie here and I thought this seemed like a sensible place to ask rather than start a new thread - if one is buying bars to stack as an investment, what difference if any does the manufacturer have on resale value / ease of liquidation?

Because if I look on Bleyers for example, a Metalor 1oz gold bar is £33 more than a Baird's 1oz gold bar, and a Pamp one is somewhere in between.  I'm using gold as the example but it's the same with silver from what I can see. Aren't all ounces created equal? 

The heavier the wieght of said bar the cheaper it is on premium. 

4 minutes ago, sjhdesmond said:

Some buyers might be willing to pay a little more for a certain design but a dealer will most likely offer you the same for each. Personally if I'm buying something - 1 oz gold for eg. I might pay 10 even 20 quid more than the cheapest bullion britania for something a bit fancy if I like the design but if a krugerrand was 20 quid cheaper than the brit I'd take that. 

Dealers prices will be different depending where you buy and the quantity you're buying. If you just want 1 oz gold bar check a couple. It might be that dealer A is cheaper for 1 but dealer B is cheaper if buying múltiples