• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

I certainly don’t blame collectors who want the coin for themselves for not sharing their secrets. These folks would buy just the one coin and I don’t begrudge them their luck or skill to use backdoors. 

But I guess the awareness that flippers must also be doing this to purchase multiple coins simply to immediately sell them off at a premium on the secondary market makes this hobby feel like a (losing) battle.

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I certainly don’t blame collectors who want the coin for themselves for not sharing their secrets. These folks would buy just the one coin and I don’t begrudge them their luck or skill to use backdoors. 

But I guess the awareness that flippers must also be doing this to purchase multiple coins simply to immediately sell them off at a premium on the secondary market makes this hobby feel like a (losing) battle.

I think there are a few "levels" to this, and I think everyone sells coins to one level or another.

1) collectors using backdooŕs to give themselves a chance.

2) collectors who might sell more often than others, perhaps quite quickly 

3) scalpers who are in it purely to sell immediately 

4) potentially scalpers who do it at scale.

The more time goes on, the more ambivolent I am to what peoples motives are. With the exception of perhaps number 4, if indeed anyone is doing it at scale.

The only conclusion I have came to, is do what it is you need to in order to get what you need. Ultimately for me, that means if there is a backdoor find it!

Agreed @NewCoins. People’s motives are their own, and as I’m learning more about all this, I’m beginning to get perspective and not get so mired down by losing out that I also lose my joy of collecting. In the end they’re just coins. There will always be something new (or old!) to collect. And there’s life beyond collecting. 🙂

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Agreed @NewCoins. People’s motives are their own, and as I’m learning more about all this, I’m beginning to get perspective and not get so mired down by losing out that I also lose my joy of collecting. In the end they’re just coins. There will always be something new (or old!) to collect. And there’s life beyond collecting. 🙂

It's certainly made me appreciate new bullion a bit more.

Half the price, no issue limits, no chance of missing out, usually arrives within a day or two.

Something weird regarding the potrait, I was repeated told, but I just can't bring myself to believe it it seems,that there might not even be a general release for the coin as everyone who has the previous coin even the ones who did not buy the continuation option will have first refusal for the potrait. Which is a great news for people who has the first coin, but it seems a lot of people might miss out if that is truly the case?

3 minutes ago, Jeremyzed said:

Something weird regarding the potrait, I was repeated told, but I just can't bring myself to believe it it seems,that there might not even be a general release for the coin as everyone who has the previous coin even the ones who did not buy the continuation option will have first refusal for the potrait. Which is a great news for people who has the first coin, but it seems a lot of people might miss out if that is truly the case?

I sincerely hope that's true or I'm likely to end up with the same two halves of a set 🤣

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 minutes ago, James32 said:

I sincerely hope that's true or I'm likely to end up with the same two halves of a set 🤣

I think that is right thing for the mint to do as well. People who just got on board might be out of luck though, but giving them a chance means increasing the mintage for the second coin and having some non complete half of a set out there? It's a true delimma...

Edited by Jeremyzed
typo...again

Just now, Jeremyzed said:

I think that is right thing for the mint to do as well. People who are just got on board might be out of luck though, but giving them a chance meaning increasing the mintage for the second coin and having some non complete half of a set out there? It's a true delimma...

Yeah it's going to be a confusing one.

Either way I expect a lot of trades going to complete sets after release. 

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

I have the silver quarter arms, but a sinister thought, with the bombarment of the amount of recent royal mint relase someone might reject the option of having the 2oz gold potrait, then people on the waiting list might fair a tiny chance of getting one.

1 minute ago, Jeremyzed said:

I have the silver quarter arms, but a sinister thought, with the bombarment of the amount of recent royal mint relase someone might reject the option of having the 2oz gold potrait, then people on the waiting list might fair a tiny chance of getting one.

Yes that definitely seems plausible.....has the date been confirmed yet? Feb or march

15 minutes ago, Jeremyzed said:

Selfishly I would love that to be the case.

I have repeatedly said they should have either done all as a continuation or none.

If its true its being released a week on Monday, they better get moving if that's the case.

I suspect they have a fair few thousand people to call. I will be surprised if they do, but you never know.

Whats your source for this?

1 minute ago, Jeremyzed said:

I really like the first coin but I'm not that excited about the second coin to be honest, so having the "complete pair" doesn't really matter to me. I wonder if anyone else is thinking the same, as that could be another reason for the second coin having a slower uptake.  I still have the 10oz silver on continuity for now, though, as I'm not entirely decided!

3 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I have repeatedly said they should have either done all as a continuation or none.

If its true its being released a week on Monday, they better get moving if that's the case.

I suspect they have a fair few thousand people to call. I will be surprised if they do, but you never know.

Just got the email it's true 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

1 minute ago, NewCoins said:

Secrect squirrel club😉, in all seriousness I will pm you. But the release day, was 7th of Feb confirmed or was it actually just a date that @paulmertonmade up? I was told it is next month instead of march as well, seemingly it will be very soon as the mint seemed to have briefed everyone on the release already.

5 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I really like the first coin but I'm not that excited about the second coin to be honest, so having the "complete pair" doesn't really matter to me. I wonder if anyone else is thinking the same, as that could be another reason for the second coin having a slower uptake.  I still have the 10oz silver on continuity for now, though, as I'm not entirely decided!

We need more people thinking like you with the gold coins, than I would have a chance at getting a 2oz gold set lol!!