• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which mint is the best?

With all the contraversy and negativity regarding the recent RM's coins and the threads on TSF regarding the disappointment of the quality of the bullion/proofs that have been released this and in previous years I was curious to know if anyone has a preferred mint when purchasing Pm's? 

Personally I havnt purchased anything from the RM for quite some time.....My preferred mint is Ram and the Perth mint when acquiring my Pm's. 

I have been purchasing from both mints for years and have never had a problem with any gold or silver coins I have received. Regarding silver both proofs and bullion coins have never milkspotted or arrived with any scratches,dents etc.

Now that's just my experience and I know there will be people on here that will contradict that and that's fine...

I believe their diversity on themes and their quality control is excellent and I personally think in a few years they will be recognised as the Number:1  mint in the world,just my opinion.

So what are your thoughts and which mint would you say is the best? Do you only purchase from a particular mint?

Regards 

Personally, the Perth Mint for quality and coins that are attractive.

Particularly the Nuggets before they morphed into Kangaroo's. The PM was less commercial then and the coins. and stamped bars have quality and character.

Kook's continue this traction but to my mind there is an over production of various designs of other coins.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Always appreciate others opinions but when you look at the mintages of their coins don't you think that we might be overlooking something....The majority of mints around the world  produce a higher mintage production of their coins....with the exception of La casa de moneda de Mexico! In years to come don't you think these low mintage coins from the Ram and Perth mints are going to be sought after...not just because of their low mintages but their exceptional service and quality of their silver and gold..yes the premiums are higher than most mints and that does put alot of stackers and collectors off..more so stackers because of the high premiums......but with an average of 10,000,25,000 coins on their editions world wide...perhaps we are missing the fact that these bullion coins are sleepers and  when we look back in 10 years time,,we might just wish that we had purchased more??? Just my theory!

3 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

With all the contraversy and negativity regarding the recent RM's coins and the threads on TSF regarding the disappointment of the quality of the bullion/proofs that have been released this and in previous years I was curious to know if anyone has a preferred mint when purchasing Pm's? 

Personally I havnt purchased anything from the RM for quite some time.....My preferred mint is Ram and the Perth mint when acquiring my Pm's. 

I have been purchasing from both mints for years and have never had a problem with any gold or silver coins I have received. Regarding silver both proofs and bullion coins have never milkspotted or arrived with any scratches,dents etc.

Now that's just my experience and I know there will be people on here that will contradict that and that's fine...

I believe their diversity on themes and their quality control is excellent and I personally think in a few years they will be recognised as the Number:1  mint in the world,just my opinion.

So what are your thoughts and which mint would you say is the best? Do you only purchase from a particular mint?

Regards 

I quite like Bendicks Bittermints, and would definitely avoid After Eights. 😎

Chards

2 hours ago, dicker said:

Personally, the Perth Mint for quality and coins that are attractive.

Particularly the Nuggets before they morphed into Kangaroo's. The PM was less commercial then and the coins. and stamped bars have quality and character.

Kook's continue this traction but to my mind there is an over production of various designs of other coins.

Best

Dicker

Perth for me as well, and love the Swan series, though this year is a bit disappointed😅

12 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

I agree I wasn't that impressed with the 2021 Swan...the neck looks wrong🙄... but the 2021 Brumby I think is the best one so far..

The 2020 Brumby was sold out very quickly in last year, and premium is very high now, so I didn't get 1.  And that's why I am undecided whether to buy the 2021 Brumby.

14 minutes ago, Bruce06 said:

The 2020 Brumby was sold out very quickly in last year, and premium is very high now, so I didn't get 1.  And that's why I am undecided whether to buy the 2021 Brumby.

I know...the premiums are always high because of the low mintages. But I don't mind paying if I really like the design and theme...and I believe these coins are sleepers which in the future will increase in value...alot of people are put off because of the high premiums on these types of coins from the Perth mint, even though they really like them..!

To name a best mint is a pretty tough decision. Quality, design, price, innovation... 

The most innovative mint, with some of the greatest modern coindesigns, also great quality, is B.H.Mayer/Munich. They mint the smartminting coins of CIT (also exclusives for numiscollect, powercoin, a.o.). They lead imo for decades, not just since smartminting, by far and all other mints are following. For me the latest topcoins are The Steampunk I & II,  Mechanical Bee, the most realistic coin The Black Panther (Hunters at night series), the 1 OZ Trapped Series, can't wait to see the 3 OZ Silver Burst, the ancient greek coin restrike series (Aegina Tortoise and Athenian Owl) and the Ruanda Nautical HR Issues in 1 and 3 OZ (Mayflower and Seedov), Tiffany Art.... Also Powercoins Mosaic and Puzzle Art coins are a good example for impossible details. I'm not a fan of the coin itself, but really impressed for what is possible in modern minting. Just watch the Puzzle and Mosaic copys by the Mint of Poland side by side with the originals and you will see, what i mean. That's what coin fairs are also about, you don't have to buy them. The only bullion i know Mayer mints are the Ruanda African Ounce, Natical and Lunar Series. Retail issue prices  for the smartminting coins recently went up like crazy, around 50%. Not sure, if i still have to get every coin i like from them. For example the Tortoise was like 90, the Owl around 140€. The Steampunk I 300, Jetpack / Steampunk II 450€. Black Panther / Hunters at night I 250, Eagle Owl / Hunters at night II, 450€. And so on with every series by them. But all these are less coins, than art minted on coins. And it's a small mint, so if it comes to big players i would say China Mint and Perth Mint. Some of the latest Perth Mint designs are questionable, but always great quality. China Mint is just great. Have you seen for example last years 2 Kilo Silver Forbidden City? Unbelieveable minting, here you can see a picture on germanys silver forum.

https://forum.silber.de/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15977&hilit=Kilo+verbotene+stadt&start=6240

There are to many coins to mention, but i think every coin collector knows great coins from China for long time. 

Edited by dikefalos

The Royal Canadian Mint is probably the best government mint, at least the most innovative. They have some serious metallurgy and research going on there. The MintShield thing to reduce silver milk spots, the multi-ply nickel and copper plating on their steel circulation coins, their 99999 fine gold products, etc.

They also have good security features on their standard silver and gold coins. As an American, I'm embarrassed by the US Mint by comparison. They don't do anything. They never innovate. No security features. No 9999 silver. No 99999 gold. Not even a 9999 gold coin that isn't awfully ugly. Nothing for milk spots. Wasting precious copper and nickel on circulation coins decades after the rest of the world smartly moved to steel with thin nickel plating.

The British Royal Mint is pretty good, much better than the US Mint in terms of security features and purity (and in circulation coins). They compete with the RCM to win smaller countries' business to mint their circulation coins. That business-like competitive context probably helps drive those mints to innovate more overall.

Ultimately I prefer private mints as a matter of principle and ethics, but government mints have crowded them out such that there isn't as much money or innovation in private mints. Government mints have the advantage of being unaccountable to owners, shareholders, or investors, and enjoy a significant critical mass from their circulation coin operations. For example, the US Mint's annual revenue is over $3 billion, and the RCM has about $1 billion. The Royal Mint sees about £1 billion. I don't know how much is from their circulation coin monopolies, but whatever the amount is it's free critical mass. That's thousands of employees, lots of buildings, equipment, and labs that can be leveraged for precious metals products. Private mints have none of that advantage.

The Swiss are still pretty good though. I like the holographic gold Kinebars by UBS bank and Argor Heraeus. It's brilliant. And PAMP Suisse is outstanding as well, and they developed an anti-counterfeit feature for their bars that leverages optical scanners and smartphones.

I don't think government mints should exist unless there are explicit constitutional prohibitions against a government currency monopoly. It might make sense to allow a government currency if we thought it would be profitable enough to contribute significantly to a government's budget. But it could never be a coercive monopoly, and said government would have to compete with private currencies, and would have to accept any popular currency as payment. It will be interesting to see what people come up with in the future in more open competitive environments. In many jurisdictions, government mints also enjoy unfair tax exemptions not granted to privately minted bullion – I'd be sure to fully exempt all bullion and currencies from taxes in any new country. There's still a lot of room for innovation if the bullion market were to grow.

Kinebar3.jpg

Edited by Bimetallic

• 1 month later...

Still say the Perth mint is the BEST!!! But just my opinion.......The Royal Mint is way down the list with their milkspots, scratches,capsules unfitted and the general concensus of inferior products that are dispatched with quality control **** ups....if you can tell me more I.E Perfect proof coins with no problems I'd love to know?????

2 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I used to like the offerings from the PM and the RAM but both seem to have lost their way.

The RM generally produces the best designs but as we all know, the quality is cucking frap

I spoke to the RM today to pay for my 2oz Beast today and said to the customer services dont sent me any tat, as i said I was TSF member and there was lot going back, so I am waiting with baited breath to see what turn ups

28 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I spoke to the RM today to pay for my 2oz Beast today and said to the customer services dont sent me any tat, as i said I was TSF member and there was lot going back, so I am waiting with baited breath to see what turn ups

Well as I see it there are no mints that can gaurentee sending you the coins you expect when you purchase.  ...bullion or proof! But I would trust the Perth mint or the RAM to dispatch their coins in much finer condition, packaging than our Royal mint has and have done in the past!!!!!

But, that my opinion, others will disagree....

4 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Well as I see it there are no mints that can gaurentee sending you the coins you expect when you purchase.  ...bullion or proof! But I would trust the Perth mint or the RAM to dispatch their coins in much finer condition, packaging than our Royal mint has and have done in the past!!!!!

But, that my opinion, others will disagree....

Well When I said to the bloke on the phone about this he said all are QC'd, which worried me who was doing the QC? Stevie wonder?