• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Speechless again !! This time its Queens Beasts 1oz Gold Completer Fakes

Midasfrog

9 hours ago, Tn21 said:

Is it just a silver coin gold plated?

Any chance of the link 

There was only the one blurred picture , the listing says a reproduction Queens Beasts completer . Must be a steel core or cheap alloy that has been plated. It was for ten coins starting at £47 the listing ended without any bids. ebay item no.114916464752 I doubt if the item will show up now as its ended without bids.

I wonder what beasts will be next 😲

13 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

There was only the one blurred picture , the listing says a reproduction Queens Beasts completer . Must be a steel core or cheap alloy that has been plated. It was for ten coins starting at £47 the listing ended without any bids. ebay item no.114916464752 I doubt if the item will show up now as its ended without bids.

I wonder what beasts will be next 😲

23 hours ago, Tn21 said:

Is it just a silver coin gold plated?

Any chance of the link 

You can find the item listing if you select "completed" items.

The legend does show "100 POUNDS",  so it is not a gold-plated silver version.

It will be base metal, either brass or gold-plated, and almost certainly made in China.

You can probably find them on AliBaba for about £1 to £2 each, but I have not looked.

Speechless? Don't be, this is ebay!

Chards

Unfortunately whilst there are good guys on ebay, there are many more out to rob you.

I have bought silver off ebay, but I am pretty confident I can determine if a 1oz silver coin is genuine or fake. Even then I'll only buy single coins from a trader until I've determined they're trustworthy - and know where they live!

I still haven't bit the bullet and bought any gold (thanks for the advice guys in my other thread) but absolutely when I do it's coming from a UK dealer - spotting a fake gold coin from a real one is not a skill I have or know anything about!

Unfortunately it's not down to the RM..Its Ebays responsibility to monitor what gets sold on their site. Back in the day Ebay was very vigilant about any kind of fake merchandise being sold on their website....these days the power of money has take over from monitoring and responsibility....I had a quick look on a site called "Wish" and Alibaba....I was quite shocked but not surprised at the amount of fake Gold and Silver coins from every mint you can think of,every design you can Purchase for £1-2 and the Gold bars...Pamp,credit suisseRoyal mint you name it..singles or carded and alot look completely genuine. I say to everyone "Do not purchase any form of precious metals from Ebay" unless you are 100 % confident of the seller and have purchased and then tested the PM's you receive....There are alot of established Bullion dealers who sell on Ebay...hunt them out and purchase from them...At the end of the day stick to the well known dealers..Chards,Bullion by post,Etc..or direct from the mints.

Moreover from the TSF...You won't go wrong.

Regards.

On 07/08/2021 at 14:17, Midasfrog said:

These have just been relisted on ebay with the same blurred picture and a lower start bid . Surprised that the Royal Mint dont get this type of listing removed 🤔

Has ended early with no bids but was "no longer available".

Wow, that was quick! I would have imagined that it would take some time for people to fake these coins. Specially with the detailed design of this coin. 

Oh no.....there are the type 2 ASE's already on the fake market!!! not to mention some of the Queen's beasts....2017,2018,2019,2020,2021 - Maples,Pamp gold bars..carded that look totally genuine,credit suisse etc......Sovreigns from all years the list is endless... China is flooding Ebay with c**p..in my 20+ years of being on Ebay...I have never seen anything like it...that's why I can't stress enough.....DO NOT BUY ANY PM's from Ebay unless you are 110% sure you are getting the genuine coins from genuine bullion dealers....... Imo Ebay isn't the site it used to be...they are letting anyone and anything on their site...especially fake c**p because they are making money from all this Chinese S#@T...

Beware  and be confident from who you are buying from..otherwise...you will get SCREWED OVER..with this fake S@%T........Your choice....

Not just the USA...UK n Europe are in being bombarded with this fake merchandise as well..trouble is,  its not regulated by anyone..so they can ship their S@#T all over the world...our Politicians can't and don't have the least bit interest in this......it comes down to economics, politics  and ass licking as well as money from other more important trade agreements....goes higher than anyone of us knows...fake coins etc is at the bottom of Politicians agenda....it is what it is....

16 hours ago, Jvw said:

Wow, that was quick! I would have imagined that it would take some time for people to fake these coins. Specially with the detailed design of this coin. 

Yeah probably take at least a day from the original release 

There's a we buy gold type shop I went in and he had a tray of fake coins in his display cabinet. If you've ever had a sov there's no way you couldn't tell just by looking at them that the sovs weren't real, designs looked spot on in all kinds of years and heads but thickness and sound and just look of the coins wasn't right. If I put 1 in 100 real sovs and mixed them up I could fish it out in seconds but buying from a blurry photo you probably wouldn't tell

Just now, modofantasma said:

There's a we buy gold type shop I went in and he had a tray of fake coins in his display cabinet. If you've ever had a sov there's no way you couldn't tell just by looking at them that the sovs weren't real, designs looked spot on in all kinds of years and heads but thickness and sound and just look of the coins wasn't right. If I put 1 in 100 real sovs and mixed them up I could fish it out in seconds but buying from a blurry photo you probably wouldn't tell

Not to say there aren't better fakes but I mean without even any testing equipment many fakes can be ruled out. Some bullion dealers will test for you. I've only bought a handful of gold coins from here the rest is from main dealers and had all tested just for piece of mind. Sigma and XRF machine on top of simply weighing and measuring and magnet testing 

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/08/2021 at 23:15, Midasfrog said:

Well it had to happen at some point in the Queens Beasts series 🙈 the fakes are on Ebay now .

This is the first time I have seen any Queens Beasts fakes 

On 06/08/2021 at 08:48, cylinder99 said:

The 1oz gold completer "copy" in the photo looks quite high relief in contrast to the genuine completer?  🤨

Well, I decided to buy one in order to see how good it was.

My first impression was that it was not a bad attempt.  However on closer inspection:

- as @cylinder99 said, it is high relief (especially the Queen's head),

- when compared to a 1oz gold Britannia, the fake is larger and has a sort of greenish tint when compared to the yellow of the genuine coin,

- even though it is larger, it is underweight.  The genuine Completer should be 31.21 grams but the fake was 25.92 grams in its capsule!  But I am not sure how accurate my scales are, as they are new, but it is certainly underweight.

So, superficially, it is not a bad attempt, but it should not deceive someone with even a little knowledge.

CompleterFake1.jpg

CompleterFake2.jpg

CompleterFake3.jpg

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

Well, I decided to buy one in order to see how good it was.

My first impression was that it was not a bad attempt.  However on closer inspection:

- as @cylinder99 said, it is high relief (especially the Queen's head),

- when compared to a 1oz gold Britannia, the fake is larger and has a sort of greenish tint when compared to the yellow of the genuine coin,

- even though it is larger, it is underweight.  The genuine Completer should be 31.21 grams but the fake was 25.92 grams in its capsule!  But I am not sure how accurate my scales are, as they are new, but it is certainly underweight.

So, superficially, it is not a bad attempt, but it should not deceive someone with even a little knowledge.

CompleterFake1.jpg

CompleterFake2.jpg

CompleterFake3.jpg

It's good of you to do this.

How much did you pay?

Are going to complain / report to ebay / get a refund?

Chards

Hi @Zhorro

Many thanks for posting the photos and metrics.  

The old Chinese sweat shops just have been going like the clappers to knock them out so fast.  But perhaps that’s the point - copy a coin that is not well recognised?

They copy looks “busy” compared to the real thing, but some folk would no doubt be taken in by the high relief nature of the coin.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

29 minutes ago, dicker said:

The old Chinese sweat shops just have been going like the clappers to knock them out so fast.  

Old chinise Proverbs

Man with hole in pocket always feel cocky, 

Man who walk sideways in airport turnstile is going Bangkok.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Not sure if it's just me but i quite like the high relief on the counterfeit coin.....😁

I bought a joblot of fake Victoria sovereigns from Ali Express (for educational purposes) and was shocked at the quality of them - they would have fooled me if they hadn't been twice as thick as real ones and still underweight. Any casual buyer could easily be fooled..

IMG_4274.JPG

IMG_4275.JPG