• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Next Music Legend is David Bowie

h103efa

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, goldhunter said:

Wonder what happened to the Gold 2oz version?

Perhaps the RM has retained them to be graded and sold at Auction, thats my theory.

Gold and Silver 2oz is being released in January 

So let me take a guess here. They have sent them all away for grading and either (at least) 50 will be pre-graded at PF70 and the rest at PF69 cracked open or not slabbed or sold pre-graded at PF69. Then it’s a lottery to get your own PF70 / harder to find.

Oh well!

My advice would be not to buy pre graded from RM 😉 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

So let me take a guess here. They have sent them all away for grading and either (at least) 50 will be pre-graded at PF70 and the rest at PF69 cracked open or not slabbed or sold pre-graded at PF69. Then it’s a lottery to get your own PF70 / harder to find.

Oh well!

My advice would be not to buy pre graded from RM 😉 

I would think they'd send, say, 100 of the best (if anyone at the Mint is fit to judge!) or all of them on small mintages, and they get graded until they reach 50 slabbed PF70, with the others set aside, then they are all returned.

It's a can of worms that has only just been opened and not one I'm comfortable with. One of a number of reasons why I no longer buy from the Mint.

Unless they raise their general quality (yet to be seen) due to issues they encounter with NGC I would fear that 50 PF70s being set aside from a mintage of 400 would lessen the potential pool of perfect raw coins, just as you say.

On the other hand as a 70 has 'no post-Mint imperfections' (I may be paraphrasing here) then by definition I would imagine that, direct from the Mint, imperfections will/must be given an 'easier ride' than from individual submissions. For example, we will never know, but a classic example has to be the Hawking 50p - how many of the huge number of 69s would have got 70s? At least some some I'm sure.

Hope that the Mint has raised its game and this is a quality release for all lucky buyers :)

1 hour ago, JamFirstCreamOnTop said:

I have ordered the 1oz silver proof, by the time I had a moment to look on the website yesterday morning at 1030am, the 1oz gold proof had already sold out.

It’s was gone a lot quicker than that mate. Have a look at some earlier posts.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

The 300 wanting the 2oz ending up buying the 1oz instead perhaps??? I wasn’t playing on this release anyway but I wouldn’t have taken the bait on that one. 😉 

RM getting trixy!!!

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 hours ago, Stu said:

It’s was gone a lot quicker than that mate. Have a look at some earlier posts.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

1st post here mentioned sell-out 5mins after launch (09.05)

I'm not surprised they were sold out minutes after launch, but I was hopeful even at 1030 when I finally got an opportunity to have a look. I ordered the silver one there and then from my work computer just in case they sold out quickly, which incidentally have sold out when I checked earlier this afternoon.

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

The 300 wanting the 2oz ending up buying the 1oz instead perhaps??? I wasn’t playing on this release anyway but I wouldn’t have taken the bait on that one. 😉 

RM getting trixy!!!

did you read my mind ???

Mintage figures for upcoming Bowie proof coins in January :

• David Bowie UK 2020 2oz Silver Proof Coin – 550 available
  • David Bowie UK 2020 5oz Silver Proof Coin – 500 available
  • David Bowie UK 2020 2oz Gold Proof Coin – 100 available
  • David Bowie UK 2020 5oz Gold Proof Coin – 60 available
  • David Bowie UK 2020 Gold Proof Kilo Coin – 11 available

Hello all, the coin design is awful. Cooked dinner for a friend tonight and showed him the image. His response...looks nothing like Bowie. I bought the queen and Elton both in 1oz and quarter. Still have them cos I think they are and will be iconic. To  me in the 70s Bowie was a hero .... the royal mint  has not done him  justice. 

On 08/12/2020 at 21:00, MancunianStacker said:

RM getting trixy!!!

Yes, that’s a fair assumption. I took the bait because I thought there was a lot less chance of landing the 2oz when it’s released. Plus I wasn’t going to dither. A case of clicking on the first thing I saw to get it in the basket and paid for before they sold out minutes later. Not counting my chickens yet though.

On 09/12/2020 at 00:48, Marlowe said:

Hello all, the coin design is awful. Cooked dinner for a friend tonight and showed him the image. His response...looks nothing like Bowie. I bought the queen and Elton both in 1oz and quarter. Still have them cos I think they are and will be iconic. To  me in the 70s Bowie was a hero .... the royal mint  has not done him  justice. 

Therein lies the irony. The Bowie coin design uses his facial image. The less criticised Queen and Elton design releases just use instruments or props. I agree the RM have not done Bowie justice. 

Archived