• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Next Music Legend is David Bowie

h103efa

I bought the 2oz silver, i got the email. 

I have been checking my email every morning in January just to get it. I liked Bowie i have all his records.

I wanted the 2oz silver and thats what i got.  

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Whilst the Queen and Elton John 2ozers sell well on Coin Cabinet that is generally only if they get a 70 rating from PCGS or NGC, the 69s are not brilliant and for the time and money to invest in grading and then the commission to Coin Cabinet, it is a gamble.

Remember we are still only in the the first year/x18 months or so of these coming to market. 

• Once the flippers are gone
  • Once the buy raw to grade profiteers are gone
  • Once the buying graded to regrade/conserve are gone 

Once none are on the market, available for sale this is where true collector appeal begins to develop

Once there have been x6 or x12 auctions gone with no Bowie, Elton or Queen 2oz up the grabs.

Those PF69s will start coming into their own, and the coins TRUE value begins to be established.  With only 50-100 of each, that is not a lot to around

Given the tiny mintages of these unique 2oz coins, they will have a long collect appeal for many years to come im very certain of that 

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Remember we are still only in the the first year/x18 months or so of these coming to market. 

Once none are on the market, available for sale this is where true collector appeal begins to develop

Once there have been x6 or x12 auctions gone with no Bowie, Elton or Queen 2oz up the grabs.

Those PF69s will start coming into their own, and the coins TRUE value begins to be established.  With only 50-100 of each, that is not a lot to around

Given the tiny mintages of these unique 2oz coins, they will have a long collect appeal for many years to come im very certain of that 

Very true. These coins are really to keep for a longer period. Like anything in life ,the longer you keep ,the more investment returns you are likely to gain. 

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yeah Paul the thing is, like me i am only interested in certain coins because i also listen to a lot of music.  I might of bought a Queen coin decided against, but when the Bowie coin was announced I decided right from the start to get the 2oz silver.  

12 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

Very true. These coins are really to keep for a longer period. Like anything in life ,the longer you keep ,the more investment returns you are likely to gain. 

I also think when the dust settles there will be a long term investment for lower grades and british graded coins.  IMO music collectors who want a quality coin in their collection probably would want an ungraded coin. 

BTW I know one radio DJ who has bought a 5oz coin today (no names). 

You snooze, you lose. Missed out on the Bowie 2oz gold sneaky release because I was 1 hour into my sleep after working a night shift. Hoping for better luck with a gold 3 Graces. Well done to those of you who were successful today. Fingers crossed for problem free coins.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

https://www.cpmcoins.com/landing-pages/david-bowie-silver-bullion-coin.aspx?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uk 2020 david bowie 1oz silver bullion coin&utm_term=david bowie interest&utm_content=stack&prodsn=b&fbclid=IwAR0fmZgPVsPzV1E9elZJM29QmTvq8kzf_T-S88ADz1dTjn9yAMGJuasifIo

CPM have BOWIE - 1oz bullion coins Ltd 25,000 like the Queen & Elton bullions before him

Not a ripoff price to - £29.99 is fair enough (add £4 P&P) = £34 total 

Guaranteed junk mail forever and a day with every purchase at no extra cost !

I did have my eye on the 2oz Gold, but with the email coming in at 9.11am, then ... TOO LATE!

If the RM could do what they usually do and made it known on their home page the night before saying 'available from 9am' that would help I am sure. 

Still, I did manage to snag a 2oz and a 5oz Silver ... I checked again at 2pm and they were both sold out. 

15 hours ago, 20JMK20 said:

I did have my eye on the 2oz Gold, but with the email coming in at 9.11am, then ... TOO LATE!

If the RM could do what they usually do and made it known on their home page the night before saying 'available from 9am' that would help I am sure.  

My daughter got the email notification about that time too. With only 100 of the 2oz and 60 of the 5oz available, maybe the Mint wanted to avoid a feeding frenzy where  most customers could be stuck with a coin in their basket at the same time when the small supply couldn’t meet the instant high demand all coming in at the same time.  

Own it and Love it.

51 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

My daughter got the email notification about that time too. With only 100 of the 2oz and 60 of the 5oz available, maybe the Mint wanted to avoid a feeding frenzy where  most customers could be stuck with a coin in their basket at the same time when the small supply couldn’t meet the instant high demand all coming in at the same time.  

at least BOWIE was offered for general sale, the Queen 2oz gold didnt even make it onto Royal Mint site to have a chance at it :(  

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

at least BOWIE was offered for general sale, the Queen 2oz gold didnt even make it onto Royal Mint site to have a chance at it :(  

Thanks Paul. I didn’t know that.

Own it and Love it.

17 hours ago, 20JMK20 said:

Still, I did manage to snag a 2oz and a 5oz Silver ... I checked again at 2pm and they were both sold out. 

I was going to buy a 5oz but wasn’t sure. The Elton and queen 5oz were on sale for a good few months. Can’t believe Bowie sold out. Wish I had picked one up. 

19 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

Fair enough comment. Then maybe the RM could email everyone the night before that have registered their actual interest. Think I might just make this suggestion to them.

17 minutes ago, 20JMK20 said:

Think I might just make this suggestion to them.

Told my account manager via email Friday night. I doubt it will make any difference for the future. They do what they want. 

Account manager knew I was after a 2oz gold but no email or even call to let me know it was released. Pretty useless really. They just try to sell you their overpriced tat. Coins available from dealers for much less and in better condition 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Pretty useless really

Useless indeed!

I was up and awake so if I had known I reckon I could have bagged a 2oz Gold, which I really did want to add to my collection, not just to flip. Talking of which, I see on eBay there were 4 but now 3 (one must have sold) 2oz Silver's being flipped, currently 4 x 5oz Silver's being flipped, 1 x 2oz Gold being flipped for more than TRIPLE what the RM were selling it for (I would not pay double nor even one and a half times the original price - I'm keen but not desperate), and can you believe TWO x 5oz Gold's being flipped (there were only 60 of the buggers.)

I didn't realise you could have an account manager with the RM.

Edit: I looked at 9.45am and the 2oz Gold was long gone. 

1 hour ago, 20JMK20 said:

I didn't realise you could have an account manager with the RM.

Yes but obviously pointless. They just rank you based on what you’ve spent with them in the last year and they know who to target for other stuff they can’t sell / doesn’t sell itself. Everyone else is a free for all 

On 23/01/2021 at 15:21, Paul said:

Coincidentally I watched a few music programmes last night on the Yesterday TV channel. They were called “Sounds of the Seventies” and were originally made by the BBC. These were followed by “Sings the Beatles” where other artists did versions of Beatles songs.

There was a guitarist called David Bowie, a band called Queen and a pianist called Elton John. I found myself starting to think of coins for some strange reason. Aretha Franklin also made an appearance with 3 backing singers. I started to wonder if they were all called Grace.  

Own it and Love it.

On 22/01/2021 at 09:54, MancunianStacker said:

5oz gold sold out very quick with no marketing. I think most had gone to “mates” at the Mint. My Acc Manager there knew I wanted one. No phone call, they are a waste of time. 

Did you manage to get the 1oz gold Bowie or any silver one prior to this?

Own it and Love it.

Just now, GoodAsGold said:

Did you manage to get the 1oz gold Bowie or any silver one prior to this?

No, I was trying to get the 2oz versions. Got a 2oz silver 

29 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

No, I was trying to get the 2oz versions. Got a 2oz silver 

Hopefully that’s a nice acquisition and good consolation prize. I also wanted the 2oz gold but didn’t fancy my chances of getting one so I managed to get the 1oz gold instead. I sadly can’t trust silver anymore after my Una developed a milk spot.

Own it and Love it.

On 22/01/2021 at 10:20, AndrewSL76 said:

so I just totally went against my planning for 2021 and bought one of the 2ozers.

At least you held out for the first 3 weeks of the year before you cracked, Andrew. You won’t be the only one on Plan B either.

Own it and Love it.

7 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

At least you held out for the first 3 weeks of the year before you cracked, Andrew. You won’t be the only one on Plan B either.

It’s currently for sale on eBay. Immediate buyer remorse. Though then I figured with the £1 selling fees on EBay I should see how it does there. Not going to waste time and money grading it. Plus, I figure if it sells for over what I paid I will just invest direct into gold. Hoping for around £270 and I can just buy another 20 francs! Anything over what I paid is a bonus...

On 24/01/2021 at 15:38, AndrewSL76 said:

It’s currently for sale on eBay. Immediate buyer remorse. Though then I figured with the £1 selling fees on EBay I should see how it does there. Not going to waste time and money grading it. Plus, I figure if it sells for over what I paid I will just invest direct into gold. Hoping for around £270 and I can just buy another 20 francs! Anything over what I paid is a bonus...

Just a heads up, that ebay promotion might not apply to coins/currency. Typically how it works here in the US.

Archived