• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Speculation on 2020 and 2021 Great Engravers Designs

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mintage for Silver: 5000 - £225.00.

Mintage for Gold: 400 - £4,850.00.

Limited to one per household. Chaos on launch day as the site crashes, people have one in their basket and at point of payment their basket is empty.........the usual. Sad times.

11 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Mintage for Silver: 5000 - £225.00.

Mintage for Gold: 400 - £4,850.00.

Limited to one per household. Chaos on launch day as the site crashes, people have one in their basket and at point of payment their basket is empty.........the usual. Sad times.

If yesterday is anything to go by, 99.5% of people will not even make it to the buy page!

Yesterday the gold annual set (95 sets released at £7,100 a set) was put on sale.  At 9am there was no queue to get on the Royal Mint's web site, however, when you tried to go to the page for the gold set you were simply redirected back to the main page - so it was impossible to even place an order never mind get to the payment page!  After all the speculation about the next Great Engravers coin, I fear a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

I notice the royal mint have "Sign up to get this Annual Set each year." option on the annual sets, including the gold sets and sovereigns.

So assume a large number will be presold and hence they sellout quick, going forward I assume they will increase the mintages if they get a lot of people taking the sign up option on the coins.

2 minutes ago, blindedbythelight said:

I notice the royal mint have "Sign up to get this Annual Set each year." option on the annual sets, including the gold sets and sovereigns.

So assume a large number will be presold and hence they sellout quick, going forward I assume they will increase the mintages if they get a lot of people taking the sign up option on the coins.

The mint do not presell in this way. The sign up is just to get notifications and alerts etc. when the items go on sale or further information is released. 

47 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

The mint do not presell in this way. The sign up is just to get notifications and alerts etc. when the items go on sale or further information is released. 

You sure? From their website for the gold set:  https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/annual-sets/2021-annual-coin-sets/the-2021-united-kingdom-gold-proof-commemorative-coin-set/? see part:

"Sign up to get this Annual Set each year. Be first in line to receive your new Annual set each year - Opt in is available in your shopping basket once your product has been added. Please note: Upon signing up to the Annual Set you will be charged for future Annual Sets products 10 days before their despatch date in future years. The product of your choice will be despatched within 10 days of the launch date. "

The 2oz Queen release showed they most definitely do presell though from my understanding that is done via account managers and not from an email link. I've speculated before that most if not all of the next gold Great Engravers coins will be sold this way and I'd be surprised if the annual sets yesterday weren't snapped up this way. Makes sense from The Mint's perspective though rather shafts everyone else without account managers. Most of us will be lucky if we can get a silver. I agree completely that the launch is going to be a proper sh*t show.

My mistake. This is however only applicable to certain series and certain issues (always clear too) but was NOT an option for the great engravers series.

If you have funds to buy the gold annual set, I would suggest you contact the mint via the online ‘request a call’ pages for mint marque - you will be allocated an account manager as long as you spend at least 3k GBP a year. They will speak with you about your interests and offer you sets like the 2021 gold set, if interested. These sets can be available if you make the mint aware of such desires and you are viewed as being a valuable customer.

On 05/01/2021 at 17:04, blindedbythelight said:

100% there is option to opt in now, does seem to be only available on items that are still in stock - cant see way to opt in for future releases on items that have sold out already though online.

image.thumb.png.8557d502685cf7aaf057384f3cf5e5a0.png

Interesting to see they have reduced the prices. My same set was £1015 - I had to return it due to all 3 coins being impaired.

43 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

It's only coming in February I believe. 

Just in time for pay day! A good strategy from the Royal Mint, they're obviously going for a new world record for the speed of a mintage being sold out, you're going to need the car out of Back to the Future to get hold of one of these 😀

18 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

Just in time for pay day! A good strategy from the Royal Mint, they're obviously going for a new world record for the speed of a mintage being sold out, you're going to need the car out of Back to the Future to get hold of one of these 😀

The fastest sellout I've seen at Royal Mint so far was about 2 minutes, in 2019 with the Prince Albert strike on the day sovereign. 

2 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

The fastest sellout I've seen at Royal Mint so far was about 2 minutes, in 2019 with the Prince Albert strike on the day sovereign. 

Just ordering in two mins is good going alone when the site starts freezing up

I certainly wouldn't be best pleased if I thought I'd got one and the Royal Mint cancelled the order the following day because of a web site malfunction.

I suspect the best strategy would be to enlist some help and try and hit as many different dealers as you can, surely a few extra coins wouldn't be a bad thing!

On 04/01/2021 at 14:15, GoldStatue said:

It's going to be an absolute buying frenzy for the next great engravers coin.

It can also be a real hassle if I’m sleeping between working 2 night shifts. Setting my alarm for 8.55 and then not getting back to sleep until 9.02 is a killer!

2 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

It can also be a real hassle if I’m sleeping between working 2 night shifts. Setting my alarm for 8.55 and then not getting back to sleep until 9.02 is a killer!

Does the Royal Mint only release coins at 9am on a Monday morning?

The Great Engravers suspense is killing me!

5 hours ago, SovCollector said:

Normally yes but I think there was a very recent coin that was issued on it’s exact anniversary which didn’t fall on a Monday. I can’t remember which coin it was though.

That wasn’t always the case. I remember when I first starting collecting I could order new releases at 1am (presumably midnight releases) but people complained that some releases were sold out by daytime so the Mint switched to 9am releases. Not so good for a Night Owl / shift worker like me.

And just to be “consistently inconsistent” the Mint has released the celebrate Decimal Day coin in early January when Decimal Day was 15 February 1971. That was only 50 years ago so not quite pensioner status just yet. But in true pensioner delight it pushes in to get in front of the eagerly awaited 2nd Great Engravers release which is now 1 year and almost 2 months since the first release. The Mint is truly somewhat erratic in my opinion.   

7 hours ago, SovCollector said:

1 hour ago, GoodAsGold said:

Normally yes but I think there was a very recent coin that was issued on it’s exact anniversary which didn’t fall on a Monday. I can’t remember which coin it was though. 

Just checked with my daughter. The recent exception was the latest Snowman coin which was released on TUESDAY 1st December the month of Christmas.

Spotted on a facebook group - looks like what was great about the Great Engravers series will be spoilt in coming weeks, pre-gradings of 70s and variations and different sizes added to the mix to look forward to :( 

Of course added +££ premium to an already premium product for the privledge 

graces.jpg

Archived