• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Speculation on 2020 and 2021 Great Engravers Designs

I know there have been posts on and off about this, so I figured I’d start a topic as I’m also keeping an eye on the gazette.

I have also been thinking about upcoming Royal anniversaries, and of course next year is HM’s 95th birthday.

Which means the RM can potentially do a design by another engraver this year and revisit William Wyon next year (as I suppose they wouldn’t want to do the same engraver two years in a row).

So I suggested to the mint that they do Wyon’s “gothic crown” design for 2021 using QE II’s portrait as part of celebrating her 95th birthday.

That leaves possibly Benedetto Pistrucci for this year, seeing as he’s the other famous engraver, although they may go for a lesser known one too.

Anyone has any thoughts? Or inside information? 😏

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

So I suggested to the mint that they do Wyon’s “gothic crown” design for 2021 using QE II’s portrait as part of celebrating her 95th birthday.

I think is great idea.

Some great thinking and ideas!

I just posted on another topic that I want to see Jean Baptiste Merlen’s 1821 reverse that was used on the six pence and shilling etc. That for 2021 and the Pistrucci classic for 2020 would be my thinking.

I love the idea of the Gothic Crown for the 95th.

I think anything Pistrucci is too obvious and they did do his original G&D in 2017. Maybe the reverse from his waterloo medal?

The shield reverses of the sovereigns of later George IV and William by Merlen, but most likely to be the ubiquitous shield reverse of early Victoria.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The focus of this series is on the engavers not the design. Therefore, the next issue will not be anything by William Wyon. Pick another engraver and one of his or her classic pieces. I would also assume the RM are going to significantly raise the issue price to capture some of the significant secondary market profit.

7 minutes ago, Oldun said:

The focus of this series is on the engavers not the design. Therefore, the next issue will not be anything by William Wyon. Pick another engraver and one of his or her classic pieces. I would also assume the RM are going to significantly raise the issue price to capture some of the significant secondary market profit.

I doubt they'll raise the price other than due to gold spot changes. However, I expect that the mintage limit will be increased to 350-400. Perhaps more.

8 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I think anything Pistrucci is too obvious and they did do his original G&D in 2017. Maybe the reverse from his waterloo medal?

I always found it a missed opportunity that the RM didn’t do the 1817 shield reverse for the 2017 Half Sovereign, as 2017 was also the 200th anniversary of the modern Half Sovereign.

The Waterloo medal is amazing indeed. 

Added 0 minutes later...
8 hours ago, trozau said:

William Wyon’s Three Graces would be great...

6AAEF1CC-61CC-4AE4-AEAC-A335D75E5C4A.thumb.jpeg.69210ec5bb8e8cca26e565385a8d7575.jpeg

I’m always discovering something new - off to google and see what this one’s all about. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

6 hours ago, Oldun said:

I would also assume the RM are going to significantly raise the issue price to capture some of the significant secondary market profit.

Oh I hope they don’t.  The original was already out of reach of most people.  But at least the original price was something to aspire to.  If they increase it any more, it’ll just in the category of those unattainable coins. 😞

Added 0 minutes later...
6 hours ago, BrumChris said:

I doubt they'll raise the price other than due to gold spot changes. However, I expect that the mintage limit will be increased to 350-400. Perhaps more.

I do hope they don’t go overboard with the mintages or the number of versions just to corner the market. 

• 6 months later...
On 02/05/2020 at 09:01, AndrewSL76 said:

You might also be interested in our extensive write-up on The Three Graces here:
https://britanniacoincompany.com/blog/the-three-graces-william-wyon/

bcc-ss.png.5b54df4f871fae1c7da2bbefe9ef70a9.png

The Britannia Coin Company of Royal Wootton Bassett
143 High Street, Royal Wootton Bassett, SN4 7AB
w. 
https://britanniacoincompany.com  t. 01793 205 007

I'm thinking the British Trade Dollar / Florin design by de Saulles are potential candidates as well. 🤔 Obvs not as glorious as the Una, but since we're speculating with different engravers...

1905-uk-florin-reverse2c-edward-vii-28bc29.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 7.28.57 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 02/05/2020 at 09:54, BrumChris said:

What’s the bet these will be all pre graded and then sold at ramped up prices ? I do but I hope not.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, h103efa said:

Looks like Wyon again...

Threee Graces or Gothic Crown?

https://www.royalmint.com/register-interest/greatengravers/

I'd bet on Three Graces. 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, h103efa said:

Looks like Wyon again...

Threee Graces or Gothic Crown?

https://www.royalmint.com/register-interest/greatengravers/

Blimey. You’re quick off the mark. Yet another scoop from @h103efa. Thanks buddy.

I was all psyched up for this last Monday. You can imagine how disappointed I was to discover Piglet was the new coin release instead.

Archived