• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£3000 in stock market?

39 minutes ago, Bigcheesy123 said:

Hi I used to do my research on trading 212 but can't get the app no more on my Samsung anyone no a easy to understand training app for research?

I've been using Stockopedia with a free 14 day trial

Also yahoo finance, msn money, zachs

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen the title of this post and after a quick scan through the thread I can't see any mention or recommendation for a Stocks and Shares ISA if only £3k is being invested. 

As a complete beginner, I done some research and decided that a Fully Managed S&S ISA with Nutmeg with no fees for the first year was a good choice. I've not found any advice anywhere that suggests I should invest in individual companies as a novice with only a few grand to play with. I've set my risk at medium/high and I'm up 7.6% since March 24th. 

16 minutes ago, 649tom said:

Just seen the title of this post and after a quick scan through the thread I can't see any mention or recommendation for a Stocks and Shares ISA if only £3k is being invested. 

As a complete beginner, I done some research and decided that a Fully Managed S&S ISA with Nutmeg with no fees for the first year was a good choice. I've not found any advice anywhere that suggests I should invest in individual companies as a novice with only a few grand to play with. I've set my risk at medium/high and I'm up 7.6% since March 24th.

I'm a noob as well

From what I've learned recently, historically for someone new, long term (talking decades), the best option would probably be a US index ETF by vanguard, not sure if full US index or s&p 500 is better 

Not sure either now moving forward it would be better going with an emerging markets ETF or China 

If you did go for an ETF index fees would be negligible, you could put it into a stocks ISA on Freetrade.io for £3 p/m, you would pay no tax on anything gained and you could take your money out whenever you want

Managed ISAs do worse than the markets generally and you're paying for the luxury and I think you might pay fees for getting your money back early? 

Since March 24th the S&P 500 is up 17.7%

S&P would be considered a safe bet

So a safe bet is beating apparently knowledge medium/high risk investors who have only managed to get you back 7.6%

Search "Warren Buffet 1 million dollar bet" and learn more about how you're probably better off with a good index ETF 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Not heard of Nutmeg before but 1% a year for managed ETF's is about right (0.75% platform fee + 0.25% fund fees?). I know someone investing this way with moneyfarm, same idea, same costs I think, the more you put in, the less percent in fees (standard across most platforms). 

I manage my SIPP but there is not a lot in it cost wise, the platform I use is HL, 0.45% a year then I buy index funds costing between 0.02% - 0.07% a year, spread is the same 0.06-0.07%. Is my time worth 0.42%? Probably not but I prefer to be in control then when I hit 57 I will only have myself to blame. I also don't have as much money as my mate using money farm and every penny counts :D

I've got a stocks and shares ISA with Vanguard. Their fees are the cheapest as far as I know. The selection of index funds and ETF's isn't the best but I'm happy with it.

I like the fact that I've never seen them advertised yet they are the biggest in the world so they don't have to waste your money on marketing. 

For £3000 id say its a good place to start.

EDIT: just to add Vanguards platform fee is 0.15% and their fund fees vary from 0.1 up to 1% mostly at the lower end.

2 minutes ago, freefall said:

I've got a stocks and shares ISA with Vanguard. Their fees are the cheapest as far as I know. The selection of index funds and ETF's isn't the best but I'm happy with it.

I like the fact that I've never seen them advertised yet they are the biggest in the world so they don't have to waste your money on marketing. 

For £3000 id say its a good place to start.

Just had a look at Vanguard and they are a lot cheaper. 👍

0.15% annual fee. FTSE All share fund is 0.06%, FTSE 100 - 0.06%, S&P500 - 0.07%

Even the active stuff is cheap. 

2 minutes ago, KDave said:

Just had a look at Vanguard and they are a lot cheaper. 👍

0.15% annual fee. FTSE All share fund is 0.06%, FTSE 100 - 0.06%, S&P500 - 0.07%

Even the active stuff is cheap. 

They're awesome. The only let down is the selection of funds available but our cousins across the pond have more to choose from. Their accounts have only been available to UK investors for the last 2 or 3 years I'm sure.

Founded by Jack Bogle (sadly passed away) whos one of my investing hero's. Check him out on youtube.  

1 minute ago, freefall said:

They're awesome. The only let down is the selection of funds available but our cousins across the pond have more to choose from. Their accounts have only been available to UK investors for the last 2 or 3 years I'm sure.

Founded by Jack Bogle (sadly passed away) whos one of my investing hero's. Check him out on youtube.  

I just finished a little book of common sense investing recently. Good read and convincing arguments in there for lowering fees as much as possible. 

Bit of a shame the structure of the company isn't the same in the UK as the USA. In the US, Vanguard is owned by the investors. Bogle could have made a lot more money running it as a normal company, but seemed to genuinly want to give people a fair deal. 

I sold shell yesterday morning, I only have Roche shares now for the time being (expecting a crash that seems like it could/should come but who knows)

On the topic of Roche

"Public Health England (PHE) has given approval to Swiss drugmaker Roche Holding AG’s coronavirus antibody test kit, The Telegraph reported late on Wednesday, making it the first such kit approved by Britain’s public health agency."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-roche-hldg/uks-health-agency-approves-roches-antibody-test-the-telegraph-idUKKBN22P362

Be interested to see if that does anything to the share price tomorrow 😒

10 hours ago, Kman said:

I'm a noob as well

From what I've learned recently, historically for someone new, long term (talking decades), the best option would probably be a US index ETF by vanguard, not sure if full US index or s&p 500 is better 

Not sure either now moving forward it would be better going with an emerging markets ETF or China 

If you did go for an ETF index fees would be negligible, you could put it into a stocks ISA on Freetrade.io for £3 p/m, you would pay no tax on anything gained and you could take your money out whenever you want

Managed ISAs do worse than the markets generally and you're paying for the luxury and I think you might pay fees for getting your money back early? 

Since March 24th the S&P 500 is up 17.7%

S&P would be considered a safe bet

So a safe bet is beating apparently knowledge medium/high risk investors who have only managed to get you back 7.6%

Search "Warren Buffet 1 million dollar bet" and learn more about how you're probably better off with a good index ETF 

The Nutmeg S&S Fully Managed ISA is comparable to the Vanguard Life Strategy ISA I believe. I've signed up with Nutmeg as the first year is fee free with a fund cost of 0.19% and there UI is really good for a newbie I've found. 

Their ETFs cover the S&P and FTSE but and are globally diversified and not limited unlike Vaguard. Their return history is good and looks stable and investing this way whilst I'm still learning is a no brainer imo.

If I was to start buying individually stocks I feel I'd be gambling more than intelligently investing with my limited knowledge. I doubt I'd be able to build a diversified portfolio to mitigate risk and get 7% returns yet. 

I do plan on using a platform like Etoro to have some fun with in the near future though. Just use my beer money instead.

10 hours ago, 649tom said:

The Nutmeg S&S Fully Managed ISA is comparable to the Vanguard Life Strategy ISA I believe. I've signed up with Nutmeg as the first year is fee free with a fund cost of 0.19% and there UI is really good for a newbie I've found. 

Their ETFs cover the S&P and FTSE but and are globally diversified and not limited unlike Vaguard. Their return history is good and looks stable and investing this way whilst I'm still learning is a no brainer imo.

There's lots of index etfs you can get yourself not just vanguard, though some of them have ridiculous fees so always have to check that first 

I was just looking through some and this one peaked my interest especially , US Tech Sector IITU

186% up in 5 years 😳 not bad going hey lol and insignificant fees , will have to look into it more

IMG_3334.thumb.PNG.3272d89503b71a34085f26e35e799aab.PNG

On 01/05/2020 at 16:37, ZigZag said:

This week I bought Orph at 8.2 and EVG at 9.4 today. Expect to keep the trades for a week or two. You can ridicule me next week if I’m wrong.

Guess I was right Orph’s Cathal Friel gave a very incisive Proactive presentation on how they are playing the Covid trials ramp up and I can see a takeout before long.

EVG stock has been ridiculously tight last few days and now they’ve had to let the cat out the bag, they too are looking for support funding to begin a Covid trial; both had nice spikes today.

For disclosure, I still hold for the time being, though traded in half of both, having nearly doubled in each.

2 hours ago, Kman said:

Everything going up 5% today like it's nothing, airlines and cruises 10%, recovering all last weeks losses 

What goes up, probably will come down. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

are there any resources or podcasts discussing current market trends, investment sectors and opportunities?

Depends. I'm generally against up-to-the-minute commentary because the stock market is essentially random from day to day.

A couple of podcasts that I listen to are Moneyweek, Animal Spirits - can't hurt to give them a try

Archived