• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£3000 in stock market?

So why does no one talk about the London Stock Exchange Group? (LSE)

They're up over 1000% since 2009

There's not much value there at current prices, but should there be a crash it seems like a safe bet

Interesting one I need to look into more 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sold Roche this morning, it's just going sideways (same as the market on the whole) and the positive news of antibody approval by nations seemed to be priced in

Put the money in ishares gold producers etf (SPGP) instead

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

23 minutes ago, HGr said:

What do people think about the S&P Spdr UK dividend ETF? I was looking for good value and noticed it hasn't recovered as well as other funds recently. Its a 0.3% fee 

Maybe as the big companies are not paying dividends this year 😂

Thanks. I understand why it's lower now, I was wondering if it might have decent growth potential later on compared to more recovered stocks now. 

These are still very down compared to pre-virus, whereas FTSE seems not too far off where it was before. 

Dont remember if anyone backed Carnival or not, they are about to be dropped from the FTSE100.  This means they'll be sold by trackers so likely dip further, though this is possibly the bottom for them.  I saw some positive earnings from HP so the market recovery might not be pure hubris.

This is also an chance to highlight the core benefit of backing the market through the top market cap indexes.  They lose falling companies and introduce new successful ones, so keep inline or ahead of the wider economy over time. 

35 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Dont remember if anyone backed Carnival or not, they are about to be dropped from the FTSE100.  This means they'll be sold by trackers so likely dip further, though this is possibly the bottom for them.  I saw some positive earnings from HP so the market recovery might not be pure hubris.

This is also an chance to highlight the core benefit of backing the market through the top market cap indexes.  They lose falling companies and introduce new successful ones, so keep inline or ahead of the wider economy over time. 

Carnival has been one of the most obvious short candidates since Covid-19 came into the west. If not for a sovereign oil fund rescue package, it would probably be at £5 now. Second wave of the virus and more cruise shop passengers unfortunately affected, whenever they recommence cruises, it will tank again.

Remember the U.S listing will dictate the price, not the FTSE.

49 minutes ago, Martlet said:

I am reading the future for investors and data claims the original s&p 500 companies (plus offshoot companies) considerably outperformed the tracker, which has had nearly 1000 companies over the 50 year period. I wonder if it's the same for the other markets.

Rising market value - falling returns?

22 minutes ago, Kman said:

if you knew what you're doing trading wise you could have made so much money with the cruise shares, up and down 10% like no ones business 

Yep I shorted in 07/08 and it was an obvious one to freefall soon as the cruise industry started getting headlines. I’ve left alone the swings the last few weeks, partly as the easy money has been made, mostly because once the Saudi’s lined up alongside and then the fed created funds out of thin air for bond holders, you just knew the prop was in.

It will fluctuate now, but just wait and see if winter cruises are cancelled, for all the billions injected the burn rate is something that is well above a billion a month. These bond holders are secured against $28 billion or so in value of the fleet, which if the cruise industry goes pear shaped, makes the valuations la, la land.

Sat on the sidelines now, just watching this space, it could go horribly wrong.

I watched a video the other day talking about the 1929 stock market crash and they included a quote that made me think (might of been that one you posted above @MancunianStacker can't remember 😛 ) 

"When the shoeshine boy is giving you stock tips, it’s time to sell”

Apparently there have been record numbers of new retail accounts being opened - https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-turmoil-free-trades-draw-newbies-into-stock-market-11588158001

Meanwhile you hear often about Warren Buffet just sitting on cash and hedge funds doing the same - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-05/whoever-is-behind-the-stock-market-rally-it-s-not-hedge-funds

Makes you wonder 

I keep hearing this kind of stuff as well, two indicators from two different commentators, one comparing the history of bull traps and the other related to the spiking of gold to silver ratio just before the great depression.

Interesting that consumer confidence is currently far above what it was in 2008, people are expecting things to return to normal, perhaps a sign that they won't. 

The positives for the stock market is the appropriate levels of printing planned and taking place. 

As much as it’s not enough to save it, consumer confidence is a key factor, most markets are built on confidence.

I guess it’s been so sharp and sudden that people expect things to return to normal as sharp and suddenly. The reality will gradually hit as this year goes on. What that actually means for the markets i have no clue!

7 hours ago, Kman said:

I watched a video the other day talking about the 1929 stock market crash and they included a quote that made me think (might of been that one you posted above @MancunianStacker can't remember 😛 ) 

"When the shoeshine boy is giving you stock tips, it’s time to sell”

Apparently there have been record numbers of new retail accounts being opened - https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-turmoil-free-trades-draw-newbies-into-stock-market-11588158001

Meanwhile you hear often about Warren Buffet just sitting on cash and hedge funds doing the same - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-05/whoever-is-behind-the-stock-market-rally-it-s-not-hedge-funds

Makes you wonder 

It wan’t me but I like that one!! I watched the same video as you I think. My brothers started buying Pharma stocks. I’m sat on cash. Still waiting....

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

My favourite quote is apparently Mark Twain’s that goes something like “Be more concerned about the return of your capital than the return on your capital”.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Micheal Marcus said “when in doubt, get out and sleep on it”.

Personally I think if the market isn’t moving against you and you’re conviction on a particular stock is still high, you can always stay invested but maybe scale back a position; that way you get the upside if you’re right and cover some downside if you’re wrong to reinvest further down the line.

There still feels a number of undervalued situations to me, so I’m still trading positions.

29 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

https://apple.news/AhfCVsDkZSTa2_06dFhdB8Q

I know this is in the Sun, but jeeeesus! This guy had some serious balls to gamble £350k on this, i think it’s down to luck not judgement it’s turned into 2 mil, if i was him I’d cash out at least a mil before it turns to dust

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. 

1 hour ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

https://apple.news/AhfCVsDkZSTa2_06dFhdB8Q

I know this is in the Sun, but jeeeesus! This guy had some serious balls to gamble £350k on this, i think it’s down to luck not judgement it’s turned into 2 mil, if i was him I’d cash out at least a mil before it turns to dust

There’s a lot of Covid plays having their day in the Sun (bad pun), this followed on from the hype that was NYCT, look at the rise there too. I’d had AVCT flagged to me, I bought at 39p and sold at 70p as a pure momentum trade being hyped 🙄 

No way would I invest £350k though. 

Archived