• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£3000 in stock market?

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Pipers said:

reading this thread i am of the view some of you guys buy and sell far to quickly.  Fees soon add up. 

There's no fees of Etoro or Freetrade for buying/selling stocks other than stamp duty on LSE

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

42 minutes ago, Pipers said:

reading this thread i am of the view some of you guys buy and sell far to quickly.  Fees soon add up. 

Depends on the brokers.

Value Investing; Interactive Brokers

Swing; Capital Markets Elite Group

Day; TradeZero

16 hours ago, Pipers said:

I have my "play" money on trading 212. A friend introduced me to it a while ago and it is genuinely no fees at all. They do a referal where if you sign up through someone's referal link you both get a free share. I got National Grid worth about £10 at the time but they reckon it can be a share upto £100 in value.

18 hours ago, Kman said:

There's no fees of Etoro or Freetrade for buying/selling stocks other than stamp duty on LSE

I agree with Pipers.

People buying and selling within a matter of months are not investing, they're just speculating. 

Even if you have zero commission there is bid/ask spread and stamp dury to consider. The research all shows that those who do best in stocks buy and hold for between 1-5 years or longer. Zero commission doesn't prevent you from engaging in suboptimal behaviour; in fact it magnifies it.

10 minutes ago, vand said:

The research all shows that those who do best in stocks buy and hold for between 1-5 years or longer.

Research regarding what? normal market conditions?

We are in a (hopefully) once in a lifetime event with corona, this isn't something I think you could compare to any event in history

We don't know if there will be another lockdown

We don't know how long social distances will last and how that will effect businesses

We don't know if what's going on in the US will calm down or escalate more

If you made 30% on a stock since March and want to cash out now then great, how long does it usually take to get a 30% return?

There's always exceptions but now seems more the time for trading shares and holding gold/silver/bitcoin than long term investing

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

12 minutes ago, Kman said:

Research regarding what? normal market conditions?

We are in a (hopefully) once in a lifetime event with corona, this isn't something I think you could compare to any event in history

We don't know if there will be another lockdown

We don't know how long social distances will last and how that will effect businesses

We don't know if what's going on in the US will calm down or escalate more

If you made 30% on a stock since March and want to cash out now then great, how long does it usually take to get a 30% return?

There's always exceptions but now seems more the time for trading shares and holding gold/silver/bitcoin than long term investing

We could be at the start of a medium term new cyclical bull within an long term secular bull. 

Selling too soon off a quick 30% bounce is how you end up on the sidelines and missing out on the 300% moves. This is why I emplore with people to keep hold of their precious metals as we reach new highs, and the same applies to stocks. Don't bag the quick profit and miss out on the life-changing moves that take years to unfold.

6 hours ago, vand said:

I agree with Pipers.

People buying and selling within a matter of months are not investing, they're just speculating. 

Even if you have zero commission there is bid/ask spread and stamp dury to consider. The research all shows that those who do best in stocks buy and hold for between 1-5 years or longer. Zero commission doesn't prevent you from engaging in suboptimal behaviour; in fact it magnifies it.

I’m sort of agreeing with you, my best performing stock I’ve held for 5 years, so far it’s around 23x my original purchases (excluding dividends) but I also think contradicting myself here, now is not the time to fall in love with any particular share. Gains can be had as some bargains are still there from the March meltdown, that for whatever reason have not gone back to previous levels. These I’d consider trading opportunities, knowing full well they could be hit again in another market setback.

My current rule is gain 50% scalp 10%, double take at least half off the table. I’d like to think It’s balancing greed with common sense there may be bumps that wipe out gains.

It's a well known fact that over trading results in loses.  If you guys want to be a trader then fine become a trader, it's not easy most people lose money though they tell everyone they make money.  How many on here were shorting stocks/ markets 12 months ago?  I know of some who were and must of made a bit!  

Myself I do not have any shorts on atm I believe we are in a short term bull for a few months untill August- November time.  So I may look again in mid July but not before, if I miss that's my choice I have not lost and I will have a tank for investment again ready!  

On 01/06/2020 at 20:18, Kman said:

So they make there money on the spread!  So clients are encouraged to trade then!! 

5 hours ago, Pipers said:

It's a well known fact that over trading results in loses.

I don't like these cookie cutter rule of thumb stuff for the current situation

Trading since March you would have done great with almost anything, it would have been harder to do badly 

It's been pretty much throw a dart at the board and you hit a winner

I've been watching a lot of technical analysis videos, it seems pretty much like reading tea leaves

However, using a simple formula using indicators I have prepared some predictions. These are for  the next  4 weeks before the July's Q2 results start coming in (which should be interesting)

These predictions are assuming nothing interesting happens in the next 4 weeks 

Where I've put sideways/up or down it's where I think they will pretty much go sideways but maybe a little more inclined up or down

Up will  be +5% | sideways 0-5% either way | down -5%

• Lukoil (LKOD) - Up
  • Enterprise Product Partners LP (EPD) - Up
  • BP - Up
  • Silver - Sideways/Up
  • Exxon Sideways/Up
  • Abbot - Sideways/Up
  • Chevron - Sideways 
  • Canadian Solar Inc (CSIQ) - Sideways/Down
  • Shell -  Sideways/Down
  • Gold - Down
  • Roche - Down

I don't know anything of course, I wouldn't bet on my predictions, we will see how badly wrong I am in July

11 minutes ago, Kman said:

...These predictions are assuming nothing interesting happens in the next 4 weeks 

The great flaw in all technical analysis, events.  It is tea leaves, though i enjoy it and when you see the patterns work, especially confluence of two or more, its becomes compelling.  Really the best use is to give guidance on entry and exit price targets. 

Talking of stuff happening..

I've been learning about Tesla recently and their growth, if they sell as many cars as they expect in the next few years they're going to need a lot more nickel for their electric batteries

Will the push for electric cars increase nickel demand and prices in future?

https://www.proactiveinvestors.com.au/companies/news/910319/nickel-demand-set-to-rise-in-2020-along-with-growth-in-electric-vehicle-sales-910319.html#:~:text=This has increased the price,the highest price since 2014.

In 2018 the second largest producer of nickel was Norilsk Nickel (NILSY/mnodl.ru on Etoro) from Russia

News today:

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-declares-state-of-emergency-after-major-arctic-circle-oil-spill-12000221

"Russian president Vladimir Putin has declared a state of emergency after 20,000 tonnes of diesel fuel spilled into a river within the Arctic Circle from a power plant.

The city is built around Norilsk Nickel, the world's leading nickel and palladium producer."

I'm not sure if Norilsk were involved in this incident but their share price dropped 10% today

Ok it's not a very nice thing to think about taking advantage of an environmental disaster but maybe it's an interesting opportunity in nickel if demand/price in future is on the up and up 

I dont know much about the stock market, have bought and sold some in the past - but the current price action and the way the markets have rebounded seems crazy for the current state the world is in. I was going to pick some up but not now. Will hold off for the moment. I still think we are going to get another covid wave and the markets will fall again. also looks like year reports will be grim for some time? 

Easyjet was a low as £4.10 and is over £9.00 this morning..

4 hours ago, Madstacks said:

I dont know much about the stock market, have bought and sold some in the past - but the current price action and the way the markets have rebounded seems crazy for the current state the world is in. I was going to pick some up but not now. Will hold off for the moment. I still think we are going to get another covid wave and the markets will fall again. also looks like year reports will be grim for some time? 

I don't know if it's

• The market is super optimistic about a quick and total recovery 
  • just government money
  • investors are confident the government money is indefinitely going to keep flowing and inflating things 

Probably a mixture of the last two? Q2 results in July should be sobering but  maybe the real world and accounts play no role in what's moving the markets up

Airlines and cruises and travel stuff are up big in the premarket, Delta and Carnival +10%, it's crazy

3 hours ago, Kman said:

I don't know if it's

• The market is super optimistic about a quick and total recovery 
  • just government money
  • investors are confident the government money is indefinitely going to keep flowing and inflating things 

Probably a mixture of the last two? Q2 results in July should be sobering but  maybe the real world and accounts play no role in what's moving the markets up

Airlines and cruises and travel stuff are up big in the premarket, Delta and Carnival +10%, it's crazy

Carnival is a big short waiting to happen, meantime jobs figures out and everything is coming up roses. Only got until November to keep this prop going 🙄

Meantime, the momentum is firmly with the long plays as the Dow is showing today.

At the risk of pointing out the obviousesness of the maths, the more something falls the exponentially greater the total gains it will rack up on its way back up. A stock that as fallen 50% gets back to breakeven following a 100% increase. A 80% fall needs a 500% increase, and a 90% fall needs a 1000% increase. Given how much these stocks have fallen, you should not at all be surprised the large percentage increases that they putting in during the recovery. 

12 hours ago, Madstacks said:

I agree I have nothing in stocks overnight at present!! You just don’t know what could happen in Asia on a Monday as we are fast asleep. 😴 

I did ok on Aston Martin today though. Made a few % 👍🏻 then ran!

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

1 hour ago, vand said:

At the risk of pointing out the obviousesness of the maths, the more something falls the exponentially greater the total gains it will rack up on its way back up. A stock that as fallen 50% gets back to breakeven following a 100% increase. A 80% fall needs a 500% increase, and a 90% fall needs a 1000% increase. Given how much these stocks have fallen, you should not at all be surprised the large percentage increases that they putting in during the recovery. 

I understand that they can recover, but why are they recovering so strongly right now? whats happened that's so positive for their outlook this month/today?

6 minutes ago, Kman said:

I understand that they can recover, but why are they recovering so strongly right now? whats happened that's so positive for their outlook this month/today?

Some are making redundancies. Stock market always likes that although it’s sick 🤢 Also, BA’S parent company are launching a quarantine legal battle against quarantine. Rolls Royce are dirt cheap historically it’s hard to go wrong even after the bad news. By brother made 100% on Aston Martin Lagonda on his first SIPP investment in about a month. 2nd wave we could be back where we started??? I’m to 🐓 to invest right now. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Archived