• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Does it bother you in the U.K. that the queen is on coins?

Message added by ChrisSilver

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think , from my perspective , the problem is not to have the Queen or not , it s part of British culture and I respect that.

But in almost every country in Europe , Kings are pre 1914 or pre 1850 on the back of the coins - so it looks weird to my eyes to have the queen as her power is only honorific.

Maybe that's the reason why I dislike it , - but I do not aim to insult your  Queen.  

17 minutes ago, Toshunya86 said:

I think , from my perspective , the problem is not to have the Queen or not , it s part of British culture and I respect that.

But in almost every country in Europe , Kings are pre 1914 or pre 1850 on the back of the coins - so it looks weird to my eyes to have the queen as her power is only honorific.

Maybe that's the reason why I dislike it , - but I do not aim to insult your  Queen.  

The Queen still legally has plenty of powers and rights, in fact if she chose to use them I’m sure plenty of people would complain about it! Some of them are incredibly important and others are just bizarre! 

Honorific, by definition is someone with few or no duties...I don’t believe personally that the Queens duties are few. For an old girl she does quite a lot.

2 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

I’m more than happy to have her Royal Highness on our coins. 

She has been one of the best ambassadors our country has ever had. There isn’t a politician who has come close.

Also I think our armed forces would look very different if they swore allegiance to MP’s and country instead of Queen and country.   

Wasn't it Tony Blair who wanted our armed forces and Police to swear an oath of allegiance to the serving government & country instead of Queen & country. It would  have been a conflict of interest in having those who swore an oath of allegiance to her majesty and having a new recruit swear theirs to the government alongside each other.

13 minutes ago, trp said:

The Queen still legally has plenty of powers and rights, in fact if she chose to use them I’m sure plenty of people would complain about it! Some of them are incredibly important and others are just bizarre! 

Honorific, by definition is someone with few or no duties...I don’t believe personally that the Queens duties are few. For an old girl she does quite a lot.

My english is not native so maybe I am not clear. But ... I don't think she represents the power so much. Maybe she has some influence , but it s still a parliament and a democracy - not a monarchy.

1 minute ago, Toshunya86 said:

My english is not native so maybe I am not clear. But ... I don't think she represents the power so much. Maybe she has some influence , but it s still a parliament and a democracy - not a monarchy.

It is a democracy and a Monarchy is a Government with a Monarch at the head. Without her power there would be no Parliament, there would be no Prime Minister. A Government can’t not form without her say so. We could maybe say they both need each other, and usually work well together. 

1 hour ago, MickB said:

Wasn't it Tony Blair who wanted our armed forces and Police to swear an oath of allegiance to the serving government & country instead of Queen & country. It would  have been a conflict of interest in having those who swore an oath of allegiance to her majesty and having a new recruit swear theirs to the government alongside each other.

Also I wouldn’t swear allegiance to that cunt Blair for any money!! 

1 hour ago, Toshunya86 said:

A democracy?!!

🤣

2 hours ago, trp said:

It is a democracy and a Monarchy is a Government with a Monarch at the head. Without her power there would be no Parliament, there would be no Prime Minister. A Government can’t not form without her say so. We could maybe say they both need each other, and usually work well together. 

Courtesy of our current Prime Minister we have all been reminded of a time when a Monarch tried to prorogue Parliament for an inordinate length of time.  That did not end well for the Monarch.  If the OP wants to see some English coins without the Monarch's head then he should look at some 1650s coins.  Fair warning they are dull as ditch water and very expensive.  However they may appeal to the OP since they bear the legend "God with Us".

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

What?  Princess Anne?

😂 My bad , Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the second (I think that’s right) but don’t mind Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal ether as I have worked for her too. 😉

Don't mind me I didn’t do edumacation. 😂

2 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

😂 My bad , Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the second (I think that’s right) but don’t mind Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal ether as I have worked for her too. 😉

Don't mind me I didn’t do edumacation. 😂

My favourite bit of education was to learn that it was treason to sleep with the Princess Royal!

Just book learning - no practical.

I could care less about who is on what coins.  My preferences are based on geographical recognizability and metal content.  Sure it doesn't hurt if the shiny round objects have aesthetically pleasing pictures, but for me that is a minimal consideration.

46 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

No I could care less.......: after Australia and Canada’s attempts at the queen I won’t buy coins from them.    To me it makes 50% of the coin fugly.    I hope the royal mint don’t shout themselves in the foot and go down the same route

Totally agreed. The Aussie and Canadian portraits of HM are downright terrible.

The shocking part is that Jody Clark designed the Aussie portrait. Why Australia even needed a different portrait from the lovely UK one is a head scratcher to me. How it got approved is totally beyond me. 

On 07/12/2019 at 11:48, goldmember44 said:

I think the fact that they still attract so much attention in the newspapers and media, constantly, is proof that many, if not most, people actually do care but would not admit it because they don't want to be embarrassed or something. There are fewer and fewer true British cultural icons these days, and the monarchy is probably one of the last ones in everyone's mind.

I don’t think many have ever cared about the royals in Scotland tbh.  When my mother first came here from Australia and heard the royal yacht was docking for the queen to transfer to a train to balmoral she sped down to the nearby docks.  Stopping to ask a few people where they were docking.  Most looked at her in bewilderment and not one could answer, even a harbour board employee.  None of them cared.

17 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

I’m more than happy to have her Royal Highness on our coins. 

She has been one of the best ambassadors our country has ever had. There isn’t a politician who has come close.

Also I think our armed forces would look very different if they swore allegiance to MP’s and country instead of Queen and country.   

I've heard God - King - Country when it comes to England

Is it God - Queen - Country then when it's a female put in?

Then changes back again?

23 hours ago, E23 said:

This is the new testament as well not the old testament for that matter. This is something I took the time to write (didn't write The Holy Bible parts obviously) and layout myself.

-----

The True King of Israel is Jesus Christ which is not a country on a map and Jesus Christ is The True King of the Israel of God (Galatians 6:16 - below).

Galatians 6:16 - 16Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule-to the Israel of God.

We are all one in Jesus Christ or The Christ. This is the True Israel of God (Galatians 6:16 - above) - All one through Jesus Christ The King alone of The True Israel of God (Again not on a map, but one through Jesus Christ of The Heavens alone for that matter.).

Jesus Christ is The King of Kings and the King of The True Israel of God (Galatians 6:16 - above).

I take it all the bold text is your interpretation and the actual quote is the short normal text that doesn’t say anything like you have elaborated?

Strange that you have decided to embolden your own words and not the actual bible quotations.  I’d have thought you’d do the opposite as it seems a little prideful to do the opposite to me.

Not that I could care less since there are so many contradictions, as shown above, and immoral things in the bible that even if I thought it true I wouldn’t agree with it.

As for the lion and not buying a coin with it on because it symbolises the antichrist what about Genesis 49:9 where Judah is referred to as a lion or revelation 5 where the Lion of Judah is again mentioned but in reference to Jesus supposedly when conquering and opening the seals?

38 minutes ago, E23 said:

I've heard God - King - Country when it comes to England

Is it God - Queen - Country then when it's a female put in?

Then changes back again?

Obviously but it’s a bit of an outdated phrase and you will probably be hard pushed to find many people using it.  Maybe some conservative monarchists but the phrase for queen and country was usually used in military circles.  As in being willing to serve and die for Queen and country.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Obviously but it’s a bit of an outdated phrase and you will probably be hard pushed to find many people using it.  Maybe some conservative monarchists but the phrase for queen and country was usually used in military circles.  As in being willing to serve and die for Queen and country.

God - King - Country

God - Queen - Country

Not out dated to me personally.

God - King or Queen - Country (Romans 13:1).

I go with God (The Creator) - Country (Oath to U.S. Constitution - Romans 13:1) - Leader myself. Just different to me is all.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I take it all the bold text is your interpretation and the actual quote is the short normal text that doesn’t say anything like you have elaborated?

Strange that you have decided to embolden your own words and not the actual bible quotations.  I’d have thought you’d do the opposite as it seems a little prideful to do the opposite to me.

Not that I could care less since there are so many contradictions, as shown above, and immoral things in the bible that even if I thought it true I wouldn’t agree with it.

As for the lion and not buying a coin with it on because it symbolises the antichrist what about Genesis 49:9 where Judah is referred to as a lion or revelation 5 where the Lion of Judah is again mentioned but in reference to Jesus supposedly when conquering and opening the seals?

I did that to make it easier to read and my own views (Christian Theologian - want to know most of The Holy Bible one day in-depth) on all of that alone. I left The Holy Bible quotes in their original form. Didn't want to modify them in anyway. Not sure why that's such a big deal.

Prideful for bold? Bold doesn't make anything said more true or less true. I've never heard of that if that even exists.

What in the Bible is immoral?

-----

From what I've read in the story of Una and The Lion they make the lion out to be the devil. I'm still learning myself on that subject or topic myself. Takes time.

23 minutes ago, E23 said:

From what I've read in the story of Una and The Lion they make the lion out to be the devil. I'm still learning myself on that subject or topic myself. Takes time.

Why do you say so? Do you have a source for that? I would be interested to see it, I've never seen that comparison before. 

25 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Why do you say so? Do you have a source for that? I would be interested to see it, I've never seen that comparison before. 

This alone.

https://sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/sfq/sfq09.htm

"Suddenly, out of the wood there rushed a fierce lion, who, seeing Una, sprang at her to devour her; but, when he came nearer, he was amazed at the sight of her loveliness, and all his rage turned to pity. Instead of tearing her to pieces, he kissed her weary feet and licked her lily hand as if he knew how innocent and wronged she was."

https://heritage-history.com/?c=read&author=langjean&book=queen&story=una

"Suddenly there rushed at her from out of the wood a furious lion. He was hunting for something to kill and eat, and when he saw Una he ran at her greedily, with hungry gaping jaws."

1 Peter 5:8

New International Version
"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

ERV
"Control yourselves and be careful! The devil is your enemy, and he goes around like a roaring lion looking for someone to attack and eat."

-----

----- pity isn't a real thing so it would make sense it's the devil at that point to as well. ----- Compassion - pity is the works of the devil or something like that or it doesn't exist in The Holy Bible like "compassion" does.

Collossians 3:12

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

-----

Also side note - I like this one myself. Christians / Catholics or anyone that follows through Christ are God's Chosen people. Everyone that follows through The Christ or Jesus Christ are "The Chosen People".

Colossians 3:11

“Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.”

-----

Almost like she tamed the devil or the devil couldn't get in? Her Faith or Trust would be in God and The Power of The Holy Spirit alone if she's not "paying attention" as God can do that just fine (through Faith as long as you aren't drinking or something like that, but she's viewed as "innocent" though) as well as The Holy Trinity (all three working together at that point as well).

I'm not 100% sure myself, but something like this. I'm still learning.

-----

There's more to this alone (I know I'm missing some stuff) , but I'm still trying to put it all together myself though for that matter. I need to further myself to as well in the realm of Christian Theology for that matter. Also need to learn more about the coin and it takes time to figure it out and such to me personally.

Archived