• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Does it bother you in the U.K. that the queen is on coins?

Message added by ChrisSilver

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an American I might have a somewhat unusual take. I believe that contemporary Europe would be much better off with monarchs than democracy. It's clear the long term decline of Europe truly began after the First World War when the monarchies were largely destroyed. Obviously monarchy isn't perfect but I think the UK, France, Germany, Holland etc. would all be better off today with an enlightened despot than some left wing or false conservative body that cares nothing about history or real culture.

I absolutely love collecting coins with the monarch on the coin. It ties the coin down to a specific time frame and in my opinion makes it more collectible. 

On 16/12/2019 at 22:19, Booky586 said:

The sovereigns head appears on our postage stamps too. I think it looks beautiful, without it a coin becomes a token.

Am I right in saying your profile picture stamps are over 30 years old, I had some of them as a lad collecting stamps.😁

Please Find me on Instagram  HERE            

30 years old is pretty close! My profile picture is of a stamp design celebrating the 150th anniversary of the postage stamp, the penny black, first issued in 1840. I'll let you all do the maths......

• 5 months later...

What a wild ride this thread was.

No, it doesn't bother me that the Queen's head is on British coins. As other people have mentioned, there's historical and symbolic reasons for it, and it helps recognisability as legal tender (which I believe is required to have the monarch's profile by law). Additionally, it provides a guarantee that the PM content is backed by the issuing government (UK or Commonwealth). If the Royal Mint were to secretly debase their coins, then I feel like that would be the least of UK stackers' worries...

Archived