• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Does it bother you in the U.K. that the queen is on coins?

Message added by ChrisSilver

Thanks for the explanation. It's not enough evidence for me that that particular lion is supposedly the devil. There is no evidence of that. Just because the devil's actions have been compared to that of a lion, doesn't make all fierce lions the devil. Of course not. In fact Jesus is also compared to a lion -- he is the Lion of Judah. The lion is a majestic animal created by God, so wonderfully made that Jesus is called a lion. That's good enough for me. :) Nothing wrong with lions!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, E23 said:

This alone.

https://sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/sfq/sfq09.htm

"Suddenly, out of the wood there rushed a fierce lion, who, seeing Una, sprang at her to devour her; but, when he came nearer, he was amazed at the sight of her loveliness, and all his rage turned to pity. Instead of tearing her to pieces, he kissed her weary feet and licked her lily hand as if he knew how innocent and wronged she was."

https://heritage-history.com/?c=read&author=langjean&book=queen&story=una

"Suddenly there rushed at her from out of the wood a furious lion. He was hunting for something to kill and eat, and when he saw Una he ran at her greedily, with hungry gaping jaws."

1 Peter 5:8

New International Version
"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

ERV
"Control yourselves and be careful! The devil is your enemy, and he goes around like a roaring lion looking for someone to attack and eat."

-----

----- pity isn't a real thing so it would make sense it's the devil at that point to as well. ----- Compassion - pity is the works of the devil or something like that or it doesn't exist in The Holy Bible like "compassion" does.

Collossians 3:12

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

-----

Also side note - I like this one myself. Christians / Catholics or anyone that follows through Christ are God's Chosen people. Everyone that follows through The Christ or Jesus Christ are "The Chosen People".

Colossians 3:11

“Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.”

-----

Almost like she tamed the devil or the devil couldn't get in? Her Faith or Trust would be in God and The Power of The Holy Spirit alone if she's not "paying attention" as God can do that just fine (through Faith as long as you aren't drinking or something like that, but she's viewed as "innocent" though) as well as The Holy Trinity (all three working together at that point as well).

I'm not 100% sure myself, but something like this. I'm still learning.

-----

There's more to this alone (I know I'm missing some stuff) , but I'm still trying to put it all together myself though for that matter. I need to further myself to as well in the realm of Christian Theology for that matter. Also need to learn more about the coin and it takes time to figure it out and such to me personally.

A very intersting literal take. I read each of those passages as metaphorical -"like a lion" specifically, the fearsome element of its nature. Another non Christian example of the concept - "the truth is like a lion, set it free and it will defend itself". The truth has charecteristics of a lion. The truth is not a lion. The devil shares charecteristics of a lion. The devil is not a lion. Ect. 

I read the Bible in this way. Every passage has metaphorical meaning that requires interpritation, they are a vehicle to explain an idea or concept, describe a state of being, demonstrate the non material outcome of action, ect. In English especially, the most nuanced language on earth, it is difficult for me not to read the book this way, though I have only read parts of the king James version. Perhaps the older versions are more literal. Perhaps there are different meanings to different people, evidenced by the large variety of Christian churches.

24 minutes ago, Melon said:

If you think Lions are bad, you should take a look at Tigers. They are the really evil ones! 

Source: 

1320688147_JungleBook.jpg.75e9b82c417609406fdcf9d2a66c83f6.jpg 

I hear that Shere Khan is a proper bad egg. 

8 hours ago, westminstrel said:

1. I’m a Christian.

2. This thread is scaring me.

Not a personal attack - but being Christian can mean so many things unfortunately .

If you are Protestant for example ; more than half of Christianity would reject your cult purely on theological basis and call you non-christian 

2 minutes ago, Toshunya86 said:

Not a personal attack - but being Christian can mean so many things unfortunately .

If you are Protestant for example ; more than half of Christianity would reject your cult purely on theological basis and call you non-christian 

I'm a Pastafarianist and therefore unfortunately have to reject all forms of Christianity. I do like the Amazon series Preacher though. 

46 minutes ago, Melon said:

I'm a Pastafarianist and therefore unfortunately have to reject all forms of Christianity. I do like the Amazon series Preacher though. 

Followers of pasta heresy should burn like the Amazon. If only it wasn't so difficult to burn pasta. 

3 hours ago, Toshunya86 said:

This must be the worst post yet in this thread. 

3 hours ago, Toshunya86 said:

No offence taken.

Personally, I’m not too fussed about denominations. I’m rather liberal.

To me, a Christian is a follower of Christ, and there is just one yard stick by which I measure how Christian someone is - do they love others unconditionally (regardless of religion, belief, sexual orientation, race, gender, etc.)?

I know that’s easier said than done. But at least if you can’t love someone, don’t hate them or make them feel like they’re somehow lesser human beings.

Christ didn’t come for the holier-than-thou crowd. He came for everyone. It’s the simple truth which Christians fail to see when they get mired down in picking apart the Scriptures and quoting passages which suit their personal beliefs.

People who purport to call themselves Christian but believe or preach divisive and hateful rhetoric are, IMO, no better than fanatics of any other sort.

And... now that my sermon is complete, I am leaving the pulpit... I mean, this thread 😆

1 minute ago, Toshunya86 said:

Why do you think so?

Because it's incredibly ignorant. But sadly ignorance on this topic is widespread, so I'm not even going to begin discussing it. It's not a discussion for this forum. I think I'll stick to coins from here on. 

34 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

No offence taken.

Personally, I’m not too fussed about denominations. I’m rather liberal.

To me, a Christian is a follower of Christ, and there is just one yard stick by which I measure how Christian someone is - do they love others unconditionally (regardless of religion, belief, sexual orientation, race, gender, etc.)?

I know that’s easier said than done. But at least if you can’t love someone, don’t hate them or make them feel like they’re somehow lesser human beings.

Christ didn’t come for the holier-than-thou crowd. He came for everyone. It’s the simple truth which Christians fail to see when they get mired down in picking apart the Scriptures and quoting passages which suit their personal beliefs.

People who purport to call themselves Christian but believe or preach divisive and hateful rhetoric are, IMO, no better than fanatics of any other sort.

And... now that my sermon is complete, I am leaving the pulpit... I mean, this thread 😆

I think you are the prime example of the believer with good intentions  , not understanding that ecumenism leads to the own destruction of the Christian values. And I am talking about ecumenism inside the Christian family.  I know you want to leave this topic  - so I am not going to write a long message - but your vision of Christianity is more "naive optimism" than Christianity. 

So if someone does not like another religion , belief , race , gender , sexual orientation , then he is not christian ? That what stems from your message. I just want to be sure to understand it right.

38 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Because it's incredibly ignorant. But sadly ignorance on this topic is widespread, so I'm not even going to begin discussing it. It's not a discussion for this forum. I think I'll stick to coins from here on. 

Calling others ignorant and not wanting to hear their argumentation is a bit condescending. But you may be right. This is not a discussion for this forum. I had no time to express my thoughts clearly  , and I am sorry that you took it as a personal offence. I know a lot of protestant people who are good people and try to be good christians - the problem is not this - the problem is Protestantism at the theological level - it is for most Catholics and even Orthodox a false cult. I can try to express my views later on , and yes , i do not claim to know the Truth. 

54 minutes ago, Toshunya86 said:

Calling others ignorant and not wanting to hear their argumentation is a bit condescending. But you may be right. This is not a discussion for this forum. I had no time to express my thoughts clearly  , and I am sorry that you took it as a personal offence. I know a lot of protestant people who are good people and try to be good christians - the problem is not this - the problem is Protestantism at the theological level - it is for most Catholics and even Orthodox a false cult. I can try to express my views later on , and yes , i do not claim to know the Truth. 

Have you got a Pot in your house at all? Could you pop it next to the Kettle and just introduce them quickly for me? 😄

Only Pastafarianism delivers true enlightenment. There is no uncertainty or complex theology, just tender, juicy, succulent truths. 

2 hours ago, Toshunya86 said:

So if someone does not like another religion , belief , race , gender , sexual orientation , then he is not christian ? That what stems from your message. I just want to be sure to understand it right.

I bolded a part of your message as I am addressing it below...

”Does not like” is completely different from “hate”.

One does not have to like or approve of other people’s religions, lifestyles, etc. to show them compassion and love.

I admit I am not as educated as others may be on the Bible, even though I grew up as a Roman Catholic in a pretty conservative family, and I am okay that I may come across as naïve; but I don’t think anyone needs to study scripture to be a decent human being.

I respect the fact that a couple people in this thread have their own views and think they have a better understanding of the Bible than myself and others, but I am sorry, using scripture to put other people down, judge them, and assume a “holier than thou” position simply rubs me the wrong way.

Probably some reflection on two things Jesus said might be in orderLove one another as I have loved you” and ”Let he who has not sinned cast the fist stone”.

Also, since this topic on coin collecting has crossed into the realm of Christian theology, the following additional scripture comes to mind...

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

16 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

Thanks for the explanation. It's not enough evidence for me that that particular lion is supposedly the devil. There is no evidence of that. Just because the devil's actions have been compared to that of a lion, doesn't make all fierce lions the devil. Of course not. In fact Jesus is also compared to a lion -- he is the Lion of Judah. The lion is a majestic animal created by God, so wonderfully made that Jesus is called a lion. That's good enough for me. :) Nothing wrong with lions!

I agree with you on this.  And the text used the word "like a lion", and by that it doesn't meant that the lion is the devil, it is more like using the lion to describe how the devil tends to behave.  Therefore it is not enough evidence to truly associate the lion as the devil.

Coming from a former commonwealth country, growing not knowing much about the monarch, other than what I have learned in history class. 

This topic does gives me a very good insights into how people from the commonwealth and non commonwealth view the British monarchy.

Unconditional love or tolerance is destructive, it is arguably a fanatical view in its own right. I can't work out whether it is an outdated view from when Christianity held homogeny or a modern push, either way it's not going to end well. 

58 minutes ago, KDave said:

Unconditional love or tolerance is destructive, it is arguably a fanatical view in its own right. I can't work out whether it is an outdated view from when Christianity held homogeny or a modern push, either way it's not going to end well. 

Unconditional love and tolerance does not, and should not, imply weakness.

Coming from a country where Christians are persecuted even in 2019 (churches burned, grottos demolished, nuns raped, freedoms revoked), I speak from experience, and I shake my head when I see formerly Christian countries being forced to give in under pressure to be “more accepting” and “more liberal”.

When I was in the US I wasn’t able to say Happy Christmas lest I offend someone, but it was perfectly acceptable to say Happy Diwali and Eid Mubarak.

Related to the topic of coins, since FIDEI DEFENSOR will be familiar to us here, apparently a couple years back Prince Charles on becoming King said he would consider changing the phrase “Defender of the Faith” (meaning Christianity) to either “Defender of All Faiths” or “Defender of Faiths” (to include those who have no faith).

Ummm no. You can’t defend Christianity when you’re under, for example, Sharia Law, or a no-faith Communist-type regime. You’ll probably just be defending yourself from being dragged out and killed.

Thank God he seems to have changed his mind.

Tolerance is too close to apathy in meaning, this is how many act it out, as an excuse for cowardice. It means weakness and apathy pretending to be a virtue.

I see it in the same light as political correctness telling us to shut up and take it, then on the other side we have Christianity telling us to love or at least be tolerant of evil. The message is to the church and it's followers own demise, long term it will be the end of it. 

8 minutes ago, KDave said:

Christianity telling us to love or at least be tolerant of evil.

The Bible teaches love one another not tolerance of evil. The Bible clearly states God is a vengeful god but that justice belongs to Him and not to us. So yes, we need to punish wrong doing - but the Bible teaches to do it in a fair and uncorrupt way, the way a loving parent disciplines a child. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

Archived