• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

Agreed the forum trade activity is severely subdued.

I happen to follow a certain large US auction house from time to time and they seem to have no difficulty selling all sorts of coins like there's no tomorrow. E.g., around Coinex I was attempting to sell here an 1957 MS64 NGC for a reasonable(ish)? GBP430 and received not a single inquiry. On Monday this week someone paid $900 (GBP745) for the same grade in the US (not my coin).

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 7.57.08 PM.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

30 minutes ago, Roy said:

It's almost like folk are embarrassed to be asking such a price!

'£1650 for a Brit? They'll never pay that!'

Look at what the dealers are asking, and work from there 👍

I don’t quite understand how dealers are weathering this ‘storm’.

If gold isn’t selling at spot on here.

How are they selling gold plus 3-4%+ spot?

Edited by Foster88

Here's the monthly chart.  Find me a bigger candle from open to close.  If this closes out at the end of the month, at or above where we are now, it will be the single biggest monthly candle in years.  It would be extremely bullish.  But it may all collapse prior to the end of the month, such a large candle is uncommon to say the least.

image.png.649e88f3331c5a79def0b5b837c99414.png

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

11 hours ago, Earthmetal said:

I don't get the argument that WHEN gold & silver increases in price no-one will buy it. Also that only small coins will sell not large ones. It's just cobblers. It's already way more expensive than it was say five years ago but people still buy it.

If we accept it roughly follows inflation, and that wages & prices roughly follow inflation, then when a 1oz coin becomes 'worth' £2,000 it will seem (again) roughly the same as it did at £1500. Likewise a £480 Sovereign will appear a similar pro-rata value as it does now.

Agreed.

They said no one would buy sovereigns once gold passed £1000 per oz mark.

If you've been around long enough not only do you see patterns, but also new "can't go beyond this" points. It's all relative.

4 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I think one thing that I haven’t seen discussed recently is that in recent years, only five years ago for example, in 2018 the gold price was circa £900 - £1,000 an oz.

Sovereigns were £230 ish.

Half Sovereigns were £110 ish.

Give or take a few pounds.

Yes, that was 2018.

The gold price has slowly risen, dropped slightly, risen again, dropped slightly again. You get the picture. The charts will show it.

The point I’m trying to make is that it’s a new, new price. I see comments on here about ATH prices but it doesn’t really mean anything, because it will usually drop again slightly, before gaining again before dropping. So the new ‘normal’ price is always going up and everyone has to get used to it.

People who are waiting for sub £1,200 or even sub £1,400 have a long wait. I maybe wrong but I don’t think we’re going back there anytime soon.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. My concern with buying gold at the moment is the answer to the following question:

Are the gains in gold since 2018 natural growth or are we in a gold bubble?

Before anyone throws conflicts etc at me as examples of pressures on gold. There's been conflicts all through the late 20th century, so they come, they go. The question is, are we in the 1970s/2000s phase where gold is heading north, or are we in 1980-81, about to stare at a repeat of 1982-1999?

My gut instinct is telling me we are in bubble territory. I expect it will go higher, maybe quite a bit, but I don't expect the gains to hold. I expect a crash followed by a loss in confidence.

Much like people feel about silver.

I know, I'm bearish on gold in the long term.

Edited by SidS

I think there is some thought of a bubble here, if you look at the price of gold throughout the beginnings of the Ukraine war. However, given the subsequent collapse of several big banks and another escalating war tied to countries supplying vast quantities of oil to America, this may not follow the same trend.

Look at the trench between 2012 and 2016 - I remember the sentiments about gold then, I think we are heading for a spike, a trench of a few years and then up again.

You can see the bubbles on the graphs: 2011-2012 and 2020.

It's the slow persistent growth you want to see: 2016-2018 for example.

1 minute ago, flyingveepixie said:

Indeed. There are peaks and troughs.  There always will be, but the inevitable and constant movement over the long term is up.  Consider it from the point of view of currency devaluation if you prefer.   All fiat currencies eventually return to their intrinsic value, which is zero, and as the buying power of a currency falls, the price of gold rises accordingly.   In truth, the price of gold never really changes but rather it is the purchasing power of the £ or $ in your pocket which reduces.

Agreed.

Long term (10 years plus) the trend is upwards.

It's when the gold price is flat that you want to be buying, not when it's rising. Now is a good time to either hold or sell imho.

America/the west are always starting wars and always have. However, more recently America are starting wars without finishing their last one. Add the fact that America are happy to be at war with potentially 5 or 6 countries at the same time if necessary AND so much being held up by the US dollar/petro-dollar, it’s all a house of cards ready to fall. Joe Biden is poking the house of cards in fact

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

Gold just his 2000 on the comex price 1990 Spot. This could be head bump or a break through point now...

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454