• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

If you were to start stacking again from scratch, what would be your first purchase?

Estron

Hello all,

I'm new to this stacking malarkey and am looking to make my first purchase soon after doing some research on different pieces. My question to you though is if you had to start from scratch, knowing what you know about silver stacking now, what would be your first purchase and why? Would you buy in a big bulk or make small purchases of a few coins here and there? Which dealers would you use or would you use forums or eBay? Would you pick certain brands or designs over others or is silver just silver to you? etc.

Thanks for any help,

Estron

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think i would get a sovereign or half sovereign. i have stacked a good deal of silver - i think if i had my time over i would concentrate on buying bullion sovereigns.  You can always find a buyer for sovereigns. Over the time i have been here there has been a lot more action with graded coins - i would not bother with these, i would go for weight of gold in sovereigns. You are getting gold in a small coin at the price of a larger coin

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Id most likely buy whatever is the most recently released 1/4oz gold bullion queens beast.

With sovs you see either a quick drop or rise. If you have just started and see an instant loss it will probably put you off. 

However if you had got one of the starting qb quarter ounces i think it would have encouraged you to stack more as you see it can make a little money. 

36 minutes ago, FoolzGold said:

I can't help but notice that so far all the advice about stacking silver on the silver forum of "The Silver Forum" pages has been to buy gold.

Time to re-name the website perhaps? :)

That's because people have fallen out of love with silver due to its stupid premiums, logistical nightmare to sell quickly and the unfulfilled promise of $50 silver price just around the corner. 

Silver stackers seem to come in two types. The "Collector/Flipper", and "The world's going to end and I need to buy toilet roll with a silver coin guy"

If you don't think you fall into either of those categories, I don't think silver is the place for your money. But that's just my humble opinion. :)

If starting again from scratch with a predisposition of precious metals preference, one should purchase with regards to that bias. 

if starting again from scratch with no attachment to precious metals preference. A balance value purchase of both gold & silver is a good start. 

“ There are three reasons why people change:

(1) They have learned a lot

(2) They have suffered a lot

(3) They got tired of always the same thing”

I started stacking, for retirement/hedge, in Dec.18, and have 600+ oz of Maples, ASE, krugerrands, Phils, and brits. 

But now i´m more in to gold, stacking wise. 

I still buy silver, but it´s become more of a hobby, which is why, i go for Queens Beasts, oriental border Brits, rect.dragon bars, and the like..

The premium on silver, is much to high, to hopefully make a profit, (ATM), but i cant help my self.. I cought the bug..;-)

I am and will be buying silver! People have seem to not be bullish on silver right now and that is why I am buying. Some great deals out there right now. This last weekend silver rounds at a show here were selling at 40 cents over spot. I prefer maple leafs and other govt. .999 fine silver coins over rounds but a deal is hard to turn down. Do not forget 90% silver coins. In the UK I think more people lean towards gold due to the taxes but here no taxes on gold or silver. Do not forget platinum, I think its cheap right now. Also check what sell well in your area no use buying something now that will be hard to sell later on. Over here in my area  sovereigns do not sell well in in other areas they sell just fine. Stack all 3 metals and in time you will do fine.  Jim

I would stick to what I have done earlier this year, monster boxes of QBs Unicorns and the Kangaroo. I chose them because they are 999.9 silver. As far as I know this fineness is needed for industrial usage. So, should I ever sell while there is a high industrial demand, it wouldn't need to be refined further. I have dismissed the Maple Leaf (I have one tube though) which is also 999.9 silver because of its well known spotting and the new mint shield technology that prevents it basically just adds a very thin layer of some chemicals on top of it that you would need to get rid off to keep the purity at 999.9. However I don't think that's really a big issue. The whole 999.9 instead of 999 silver thing seams silly to some and maybe they are right but it doesn't do any harm either.

I have discussed this in this forum before I purchased them. The Unicorns were not part of the plan, originally but I had myself convinced that living in the UK justified the slightly higher premium as the taxation gives you a potential advantage with UK legal tender coins. This also makes it easier to sell in the UK.

The biggest piece of silver I have is 2oz. I bought it from the European Mint and think many here agree it's the best option. However because of the postage if you order as individual, small purchases form there make little sense - but with a few monster boxes, it does pay off. There are also loads of German dealers with cheaper shipping costs but slightly higher prices than the European mint. Additionally, there are the group orders from the European Mint which personally I would not use because I don't want to deal with the guy running it. However -  in all fairness - most people here have no issues with his services.

All this being said, my first piece of precious metal was a Half Sovereign and with the amount of silver I have, gold is my focus now - and within gold my long term focus are - Bullion (Half) Sovereigns and only the odd tube or coin of silver very occassionally, from a German dealer or the forum.

If you're in a country with no sales taxes on any of the PMs, today I would buy 20% in Gold, 40% in Silver and 40% in Platinum.  1oz coins rather than bars.

In the UK I would put the vast majority into physical gold coins, either bullion sovereigns or 1oz Britannias with some current-release QBs and the Royal Arms coin for a bit of variety.  I would buy a 10oz UK silver coin and a 10oz Britannia silver bar for a bit of shiny physical silver to enjoy for pleasure.

If you're happy stacking virtually rather than physically I'd do the similar 20/40/40 split as above but use Exchange Traded Funds.

I know exactly what I would buy start to purchase PMs from scratch.

Silver ARES God Of War Gods 2 Oz Silver Coin 2$ Niue 2017 time of release £450

https://www.powercoin.it/en/mennica-polska-poland-mint/2492-ares-god-of-war-gods-2-oz-silver-coin-2-niue-2017.html

Gold 1 oz gold RWANDA NAUTICAL 2017 SANTA MARIA time of release £1400

https://goldsilver.be/en/1-oz-30gr-gold/1354-1-oz-gold-rwanda-nautical-2017-santa-maria.html

Regardless of spot price movement the premium on these coins more than doubled their release price. But you can say that about anything in hindsight. Currently at this moment in time hard to say what PMs to buy. I was lucky when I started buy PM spot Gold $1200 and Silver $14 Queens Beasts series had not gained that much of a premium to back date the series in bulk. Sometimes lucky enough to start PM journey when spot price is low and bought into a series with a growing premium appreciation you can break even.

That is why lot of people in hindsight would have purchased Gold as they could be closer to break even if they had to liquidate their stack right now.

10 oz. Royal Mint Silver Valiant. In general you can't go wrong with anything by the Royal Mint. I would also look into anything by the Perth Mint. Honestly they're my favorite.

Another option would be the 2018 1 oz Silver Korean Tiger. Very cool coin and it's the inaugural in a series so it coincides nicely with your entry into precious metals.

I stack low premium govt BU and would not have done too much differently. You don't know when you will need insurance. Hindsight is always 20/20 but you can only base your decisions at the time on the evidence at hand. I've always understood that precious metals are first and foremost a hedge against the fragilities of the current monetary system; a system which has not imploded, ergo the hedge has not (yet) come into play. 

Holding physical PMs ensures your financial foundations are rock solid come what may, but should be just one part of an overall wealth accumulation strategy.

Knowing what I know now if I could start again but back in 2002 (ish) when I bought my first coins - I'd buy as much gold as possible. 

My first purchases weren't terrible though mostly centring around old Canadian silver content Voyageur dollars since that was (and still is) the coin I like the most. No regrets over buying those.

90% gold of the country you live in (in OP’s case, sovs are best)10% silver of the country you live in for bullion (OP’s case, Britannias).

Numismatics, knock yourself out...totally different game but do a lot of research first as numismatics are very illiquid. Stay away from modern silver proofs and commemoratives if starting out as most are losers.

VERY important is to actually go and sell a coin as soon as you get one to find out what happens if you need to sell and how you can get burned if you get it wrong (spot price change, shipping cost, local dealer price offered, ebay fees etc, there are many variables and it is a very very good early lesson).

Archived