• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Changer

Hotdog

On 24/12/2023 at 18:54, Hotdog said:

attached photograph shows a change machine where full or half sovereigns could be entered to receive 20 or 10 shillings. Apparently they were used in large shops; though I don't know how the  Sovereigns would have been verified for fakes. 

image.jpeg

Automatically validating sovereigns was a fairly mature technology in the 19th century - they were allowed about 60mg of wear by law and then they were returned to the Bank of England, which would exchange them for new ones and send the old ones back to the mint for recycling.  By the latter part of the 19th century the banks all had machines that could automatically weigh sovereigns by their thousands and sort out underweight ones, and could do so very accurately.  I dare say they would reject most fakes as well, unless it had been done with great fidelity.  Most fake sovereigns would fail on dimensions and/or weight as this was well before the days of tungsten cores. However, I have no idea how accurate changing machines like the one depicted above really were.

Here's a 19th century engraving of the machines at the Bank of England.  I think it's worth noting that a substantial amount of R&D went into the sovereign - the technology to mint them by the million to precise specifications, and all the infrastructure that went around circulating them.  They were quite a major innovation in their day.

sovereign-weighing-machine-bank-england-12731677.jpg.webp.027970851fe9ccfbc6f05a311d59d756.webp

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if I haven't posted this before.

A good read is "The Royal Mint: Its working, Conduct, And Operations, Fully And Practically Explained" by George Fredrick Ansell, written 1869. I've attached a link to the third addition which maybe read in pdf format or downloaded. https:/archive.org/details/royalmint01anse 

Ansell mentions why the number on the shield coins was introduced. 

Also another worthwhile book by Ansell written in 1862 "A Treatise On Coining".  Available as a reprint and online. 

Screenshot_20240429-164501_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.2e718a51fa0559cec923b751304c9921.jpgAnyone watch "The Bidding Room" on the BBC?

I was watching the first episode of the new series and a late Victorian sovereign/half sovereign change machine made an appearance. It's a different type to the one listed by @Hotdog and little a little more basic. Here's the link to the episode, fast forward to 21 minutes in: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001x0vz/the-bidding-room-series-5-1-jackinthebox

Edited by Booky586