• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1964 Gold Sovereign has big scratches, should I return and ask for a replacement? advice needed

AliAhmed

Hello guys,

I just received my first best value gold sovereign from HGM and there are a few big scratches, please see picture below

They look deliberate and not from wear and tear, should I be concerned about the scratches? 

Would I be able to return and request for the sovereign to be replaced?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

IMG_4519.jpg

You should definitely ask. But I doubt they'll accept exchange because it's best value and therefore traded as bullion. In this case a coin-looking nugget.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Ouch.  That is nasty!  

Why did you buy it?  Just for weight, for the coin to look at?  You need to realise even (old) bullion will have dents, dings etc. best value will be a level below that.

I think you might be onto plums as they are best value, not even bullion.  But you can always ask, as if you dont ask you dont get... 

Can not see them replacing it, as was best value.  If did, which I doubt, you would lose on postage. 

That is another reason to pay a little more and buy from here. Sometime, it the same price and only the postage is extra. 

To be honest, you have been a little unlucky. To this day, I have never received one as bad as that scratched from HGM. I guess others have as have seen a few scratched up sovereigns also offered on the forum, at least you have a choice to buy or not from a photo.

I would that is a shame as apart from the scratches that effigy side looked a keeper pre scatches

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

Depends - if you are stacking it shouldn’t be a big deal. You paid a bit less and you will get a bit less when you sell it compared to one without the scratches. 

Comments above are on the money - pay a little bit more and get a better coin. This goes for nickel and diming when it comes to dealers - saving a quid or two might not make you happy in the long run.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Just now, AaaGee said:

Is there any way of getting the scratches removed/reduced with the sacrifice of losing the smallest amount of metal?

Unfortunately not! You would be removing the original luster on the coin, whilst hypothetically you could infact remove the scratches with a high grit polishing paste, the coin would always look polished then which creates another problem. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Unfortunately not! You would be removing the original luster on the coin, whilst hypothetically you could infact remove the scratches with a high grit polishing paste, the coin would always look polished then which creates another problem. 

Which one is the lesser of two evils?

Personal opinion and taste i guess. Not forgetting resale value.

Taught me a lesson not to buy best value.

HGM customer service is usually top notch, so worth the price of a phone call
Their best value description will include saying it may have dents, scratches or dings though - they always do
Try weighing the coin, I don't think the scratches will have impacted the coin's weight but I have returned a couple of coins (much older than this one) to another dealer as they were under-weight, which is a legitimate reason for a return on any listing that specifies the weight

Edited by Orpster

I'd say this is bad enough to ask for a replacement, even for Best Value. Some light scratches would be fair enough, but two significant deliberate scratches could impact future selling value. Some dealers would likely only buy that at scrap value. 

Edited by MBTPSilver

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AliAhmed said:

Hello,

Thank you all for your advice much appreciated.

Excellent customer service from HGM, they replaced the sovereign with a 2015 one.

I have to say that I don't like the newer sovereigns, they look like copper - I much prefer the older ones that actually look like Gold !

Being a new stacker I was a bit reluctant buying from the forum as I don't know how to actually test a sovereign, but I am sure there are many trustworthy sellers in this forum.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Thank you

⤵️🤔⤵️? Actually, quite a few people on here (I prefer just to be buying at the moment) All the names mentioned are great😮

Hi Ali - that’s great to hear, and glad you got a better coin.

Its good to know which dealers are flexible and sensible.

It is definitely worth looking on the Sale section here as there there are some really good quality coins sold for good prices.

All the best to you

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

HGM and Chards have a grade C class which is a class below the best value sovereign for scratched, ex jewellery, etc and that is usually a couple of pounds cheaper than the best value sovereigns. The original coin that HGM sent you looked more like a grade C. Good to hear they gave you a refund.

I have used HGM best value quite a lot but if you don't like the more modern sovereigns then you will be better off buying from the forum so you know what you are getting. 

When he lists them, @Sh97if has some of the best bullion sovereigns on here and is very easy to deal with. They are around the same price as HGM and he has a wide range of dates.