• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay buyer switches gold coin and returns a fake will I be protected as a seller ?

I sold a beautiful 1/4oz gold proof Krugerrand on Ebay surely nothing could go wrong it was perfect.

Then two days later without any warning Ebay inform me that the buyer wants to return the coin because it has a scratch 😔

He had uploaded a very small blurred picture and the coin or capsule had a mark on it.

I gave the go ahead for a return and paid for the return post. What will happen if the coin he returns is a fake ? What action can I take to protect myself from a scam if he returns a fake coin ? I have a feeling that this is what is going to happen.

Has anyone had a similar problem on ebay ?

Film the opening of the parcel, and if you have a sigma use it as part of that un-broken vid. Keeping the parcel and coin in shot at all times. Also have some scales to hand and weigh the coin. Hope it works out. I've had it before, not with coins but trading cards value of just under £80. The sent me a block of wood. Ebay were just a little less help than clown on coke. At least I had some fuel for the log burner.

53 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Good idea to film the opening will do that 👍 I have a bad feeling about this one , I have also blocked him .

But did you film the packing? Otherwise how can you prove you sent correct item 🤔 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

12 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Just took a picture of the coin sitting on the addressed box 😳

Hopefully that's enough. Also Hopefully the buyer is just a naive idiot who's heart was no longer in the purchase 😕 did they have decent feedback?!

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Hopefully that's enough. Also Hopefully the buyer is just a naive idiot who's heart was no longer in the purchase 😕 did they have decent feedback?!

He had 11 feedback but I haven't looked into it as I feel a bit sick about it , it was a really nice proof. Yes still some hope that he does send it back even if he puts a mark on it. 

When you receive gold of any kind you're happy. When there's a problem it's not good. Hopefully the guy is just skint and has buyer's regret but some folks on eBay are shameless as is society in general. Sounds like a pain in the tits but a good idea to have video, scales and sigma ready

Considering fees and time spent what is the margin on gold vs TSF, 5% if you're lucky? IDK maybe it's a lot higher but I've never thought about buying gold on eBay. Think of the muppets who are actually doing that, those are your customers. Maybe the Krug was bought by an idiot, "why attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence?"

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

29 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

He had 11 feedback but I haven't looked into it as I feel a bit sick about it , it was a really nice proof. Yes still some hope that he does send it back even if he puts a mark on it

Just wait for the return and see. Try not to think the worst. Probably just a fussy customer. 

15 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

I sold a beautiful 1/4oz gold proof Krugerrand on Ebay surely nothing could go wrong it was perfect.

Then two days later without any warning Ebay inform me that the buyer wants to return the coin because it has a scratch 😔

He had uploaded a very small blurred picture and the coin or capsule had a mark on it.

I gave the go ahead for a return and paid for the return post. What will happen if the coin he returns is a fake ? What action can I take to protect myself from a scam if he returns a fake coin ? I have a feeling that this is what is going to happen.

Has anyone had a similar problem on ebay ?

I've had a sort-of similar problem, except I was the buyer and the seller sent me the wrong coin and then started accusing me of being a scammer which I found really distressing.

So do what I fortunately did to cover your back - film the opening of the parcel, straight from the moment it's handed to you so there can be no doubt that what you're filming is the thing you got back. Make sure the tracking number and all your tests are included without anything going out of shot. I also had to make a similar video of me posting the exact same coin back as the seller straight out said that I was going to send a fake one back.

I got my money back, he got his coin back, and along the way he committed two criminal offences and the police paid him a visit in the end.

23 hours ago, NGMD said:

I’m not going to be very helpful- Don’t use E-Bay for anything over £30. Like James mentioned, unless you’ve videoed it going out, you’re going to have problems. You hope the idiot tries a swap and gets the year wrong or has a dodgy bullion replacement (aka Binlord).

I wish you the best but my Spidey senses tell me this is going to be a battle.

On a positive note, you have his address……

A NBS gang visit?

I'm in!😘