• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ten Coronation of KCIII 1oz silver coins with struck-through errors! What would you do?

I just received a tube of 25 of these coins, and ten of them (all consecutive in the middle of the tube) have a struck-through error caused by a retained piece of metal on the reverse die. 

I find this kind of thing interesting when you have it on multiple coins because you can see the evolution of the struck-through object as it gradually changes shape and form between strikes. You can also see it moving across the surface of the die. More importantly, it also gives the error some pedigree, as it is demonstrably a struck-through object causing this rather than post mint damage (i.e. it's not a dent).

So here's some photos of all ten strike throughs for anyone else who's interested. You can see the object as it drifts and changes shape.

Also, what do you think I should do with these? Is the strike through significant enough to grade as an NGC error? Are they more valuable as a set that shows the drifting struck through object? Should I just post pics on here and return them? :D 

image.thumb.png.d5677fcb39ffd49d43ccb5c7762f258a.png

image.thumb.png.94b60f793c69390e0b2c0b8183bb2a1f.png

image.png.ddcefa38ff36082d6ebb5f9d1e410d1c.png

image.png.49cd58145d176a30f2e28333769415b8.png

image.thumb.png.020e68c72fc1e6852ff18a27be2a656d.png

image.png.8359b9119a88624ffc235a3402a9eed8.png

image.png.00827ec067a23f2839cfd330863f004a.png

image.png.bf19c08ac65bb5604c4399e5c7a8d580.png

image.png.d850b880b81137461f45adfb1ef708a7.png

image.png.7fabb2158719dde2b942a5119e1dada6.png

image.png.fa2817ec87f34386a6e36ad10c726e87.png

image.png.3e25e0d7b97d71b5413ffa8595714cd2.png

Just now, Agaupl said:

Be interesting if anyone rise has similar 

I wouldn't be surprised if these are the only ones struck through by this particular object, as the dies are cleaned every 10 or so strikes and they were all sequential in the middle of the tube, sandwiched between good coins at each end.

Just now, paulmerton said:

I wouldn't be surprised if these are the only ones struck through by this particular object, as the dies are cleaned every 10 or so strikes and they were all sequential in the middle of the tube, sandwiched between good coins at each end.

I always thought the bullions just were fired out into a belt/hopper. Obvs not these if you got so many with it obviously moving.  Maybe it’s just the Brit’s. 

Aaaahhh😉

3 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I always thought the bullions just were fired out into a belt/hopper. Obvs not these if you got so many with it obviously moving.  Maybe it’s just the Brit’s. 

It could of course just have been chance that all ten were in a row in the middle of the same tube, but even if some did end up in other tubes I think the total number of other coins would be very limited (probably zero) due to the die cleaning. It's not like a rotation error or die clash that is persistent until the dies are changed/adjusted.

Perhaps either keep the entire tube as a curiosity element of your collection, or send the entire tube back for a replacement if they accepted that.

Personally I'd send them back and get them replaced, but I can see how they are interesting as a collective group.  I think a grading company would just mark them down, even though the damage was caused at-mint rather than post-mint.

3 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Perhaps either keep the entire tube as a curiosity element of your collection, or send the entire tube back for a replacement if they accepted that.

Personally I'd send them back and get them replaced, but I can see how they are interesting as a collective group.  I think a grading company would just mark them down, even though the damage was caused at-mint rather than post-mint.

The numerical grade wouldn't be as important to me as the MINT ERROR designation. I'm just not sure what the thresholds are for that sort of thing with NGC.

9 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Not so much a MINT ERROR as a MINT QUALITY PROBLEM,

those I believe, are less rare.

All mint errors are mint quality problems, and strike throughs are definitely classed as mint errors when it's not just an insignificant speck of pickup.

Does anyone know NGC's thresholds on these?

What you have is technically termed 'a divot caused by a piece of cr*p stuck to the die' - i doubt that would fit on an NGC label though.  I have a couple of Queens Beasts Lions with the same issue - the divot found its way to the middle of the G of England on both coins. I look at it as an example of poor manufacturing.

The term strike-through brings to mind a coin struck through a foreign object rather than a bit of manufacturing swarf. It would be interesting to find out what NGC would make of it and if they would give it a designation.....

Even without the error, the finish on these is pretty rough, I've seen quite a few milky ones already as well.

Shame as it's meant to be a nice reminder of a one-off occasion, as opposed to something like a Brit that looks the same for years on end.

They should have asked Perth mint to produce them! 😄   Would probably have added a nice frosted background to make the design pop too! 

On 20/07/2023 at 18:57, paulmerton said:

The numerical grade wouldn't be as important to me as the MINT ERROR designation. I'm just not sure what the thresholds are for that sort of thing with NGC.

I'm your man for these.  I have recent got bullion silvers with pedigrees stating these "struck thru" attributions

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I'm your man for these.  I have recent got bullion silvers with pedigrees stating these "struck thru" attributions

Would these particular coins get that grade? What did yours look like in comparison?

Hmm, I'm rather shocked and disappointed that the well known dealer is refusing to replace these ten coins because "they are of bullion standard".

The strike throughs clearly do affect the value of the coins (they say they don't), and the coins would be returnable in this state had they come directly from the Royal Mint, who says that their bullion coins are struck to a similar standard as BU coins.

I have been offered a refund, but only if I pay for the special delivery myself and they will not reimburse it.

What would you do now?

Unless the price of the coins has moved dramatically, I'd probably cough up for the special delivery and reorder them, ideally through a different dealer who may offer returns, for a similar price.

Otherwise I'd probably just grudgingly accept them as bullion coins with imperfections.

I have a single one of these in 1oz gold and sadly for me it isn't as perfect in the same area as your coins as I would like it to be, but I wouldn't expect to be offered an exchange or refund on it.  The well known dealer would just say it was bullion and in that condition when they received it from the RM.

14 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Unless the price of the coins has moved dramatically, I'd probably cough up for the special delivery and reorder them, ideally through a different dealer who may offer returns, for a similar price.

Otherwise I'd probably just grudgingly accept them as bullion coins with imperfections.

I have a single one of these in 1oz gold and sadly for me it isn't as perfect in the same area as your coins as I would like it to be, but I wouldn't expect to be offered an exchange or refund on it.  The well known dealer would just say it was bullion and in that condition when they received it from the RM.

There's no way I'm paying for the return postage when the coins have defects this large. The Royal Mint (if bought directly from them) accepts zero-cost replacements on these because they don't meet standard (you wouldn't put up with this kind of defect on a "similar standard" Brilliant Uncirculated coin). I would therefore not expect to have to pay a lazy dealer to return them when the defects are clearly not caused by handling and should have been spotted by them prior to dispatch.

I'll see how it pans out. Principles over wealth 🤣

I had a similar issue but with the gold version of these coins. Sent it back to Atkinsons after a phone call with them and they happily exchanged it for a much nicer condition one. It's your money and your investment. Whether or not it is bullion - I would expect any reputable dealer to have a open approach with any issues like this. Some don't and that's why I've stopped dealing with a few.

I've been pondering about grabbing a tube of each silver coronation coin but from the feedback I've heard and the comments on TSF - the quality is poor so I'll just a grab 2-3 of each for the stack. Shame RM can't match the quality of Perth Mint silver coins as they are really really nice.

On these particular coins most dealers should be accepting returns as these are outside of the typical bullion issues, if they don't like that they shouldn't be selling them. When a dealer says it doesn't affect value that is entirely true, if you're selling to them, they'll pay the same either way, but with these coins clearly being sold as a more collectible coin most people won't be selling back to a dealer and the value would therefore be impacted by an issue like this.