• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay buyer started bank dispute after receiving two gold coins

AR03

Hi, a buyer bought a gold one ounce last week, received it and then bought another one this week, which was received yesterday. Today they open a dispute saying bank doesn't recognise the transaction, hence the funds are on hold. Funds are about £4000. I have challenged it and sent Proof of delivery, but anyone had this experience before. Can I name the buyer here so others who sell on ebay can be cautious? 

Edited by AR03

16 minutes ago, AR03 said:

Hi, a buyer bought a gold one ounce last week, received it and then bought another one this week, which I was received yesterday. Today they open a dispute saying bank doesn't recognise the transaction, hence the funds are on hold. I have challenged it and sent Proof of delivery, but anyone had this experience before. Can I name the buyer here so others who sell on ebay can be cautious? 

Can't mind the username but this exact scenario happened to a member on here a few weeks ago. Persevere as ebay eventually sided with seller. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Can't mind the username but this exact scenario happened to a member on here a few weeks ago. Persevere as ebay eventually sided with seller. 

Thanks... Hopefully the ebay/bank takes my side... They even messaged few times regarding delivery etc, and now nothing. 

Buyer Name- Lily Awuku-Ampofo, London address

Did the name of the person on the delivery address match the name of the buyer's account? I had the same thing happen about 4 months ago. It was a low value item so I didn't mind them both not matching when I sent the item.

I sent by Royal Mail signed for delivery so I had a tracking number and proof of delivery which I had to resend to ebay for the dispute. Ebay held the funds for about 2 weeks and then sent an email stating that although the bank had found in the buyer's favour - ie the transaction was not made by them - they would honour the sale and let me keep the funds because I had proof of delivery.

Presumably the buyer's card details had been stolen and used to open a new ebay a/c or something similar.

Unfortunately your items are very high value items so your outcome may not be the same as mine which is very unfortunate. I don't like selling very high value items on ebay.

17 hours ago, johniom said:

Did the name of the person on the delivery address match the name of the buyer's account? I had the same thing happen about 4 months ago. It was a low value item so I didn't mind them both not matching when I sent the item.

I sent by Royal Mail signed for delivery so I had a tracking number and proof of delivery which I had to resend to ebay for the dispute. Ebay held the funds for about 2 weeks and then sent an email stating that although the bank had found in the buyer's favour - ie the transaction was not made by them - they would honour the sale and let me keep the funds because I had proof of delivery.

Presumably the buyer's card details had been stolen and used to open a new ebay a/c or something similar.

Unfortunately your items are very high value items so your outcome may not be the same as mine which is very unfortunate. I don't like selling very high value items on ebay.

Hmm... Very interesting, never noticed this... I always send it to the address on the ebay's account. Just double checked and the buyers name says Lily Spence but the address has Lily Awuku-Ampofo. Even if I did see, I would have thought it's a name change etc, wouldn't have doubted it but definitely wouldn't have sent to a different address. Now I'm a bit scared, can't loose 4k cash and 4k worth of gold. 

Edited by AR03

7 minutes ago, johniom said:

But if the address is correct, it would go to the actual person isn't it? In this case to Lily Spence, so how does the scammer benefit? 

I think nowadays on ebay you can elect to send items to any address. It used to be in the past that when you sold something you could see the registered ebay address as well as the name and delivery address. Now I think you can only see the registered name of the buyer and the name and address of the recipient. 

My sale was a strange one because it was a set of hair clippers bought by a double barrelled english name as the registered name of the buyer and a totally different name in Bradford as the recipient. Also the ebay account was either a brand new account or they were using ebay as a guest as the only feedback left on the buyer's account when the claim came through was mine. 

I am guessing that my scam went along the lines of the scammer acquires credit card details belonging to Mr double barrelled surname and then buys something on ebay using mr double barrelled's name and registered address but elects for the item to be sent to a totally different name and address. Scammer receives the item and 3 weeks later when Mr double barrelled receives his credit card statement he doesn't recognise the transaction.

Your sale could be a totally different situation though. As you say I would also assume it was just a change of name through marriage. Hopefully ebay sides with you at the end of it all.

1 hour ago, KleinerVogel said:

More reasons for me to never use ebay. Sorry this happened to you OP, hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Yes so many reasons for not using ebay . It's a scam selling platform in reality and ebay are part and parcel of it. What other selling platform sends you a message from nowhere saying we are holding the funds from your sales until you provide us with additional proof of who you are despite the fact you have been a member for over ten years. And it then takes a further six months to get the $4700 funds from the sale of your prized camera but only after getting 6k views on your Youtube channel forcing them to pay back the money .

1 minute ago, Midasfrog said:

Yes so many reasons for not using ebay . It's a scam selling platform in reality and ebay are part and parcel of it. What other selling platform sends you a message from nowhere saying we are holding the funds from your sales until you provide us with additional proof of who you are despite the fact you have been a member for over ten years. And it then takes a further six months to get the $4700 funds from the sale of your prized camera but only after getting 6k views on your Youtube channel forcing them to pay back the money .

I didn't know you had..

A) a camera 

B) a YouTube channel 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Wait until you get a business Paypal account and they put it on hold due to increased sales. Mind baffles!

I am assuming that when you sell on eBay and they tell you the item has been paid for then by using the eBay system to post / ship you cannot go wrong.
You select the method of shipping leaving the automated created address etc to eBay.
Using a tracked service - I assume Royal Mail Special Delivery for high value items, then as you have not entered an address or made any alterations you cannot possibly be held responsible, so eBay would provide seller protection in full. So I believe.

the same thing happened to me a few days ago for a tavex 1g bar, supplied tracking number and not heard anything yet, assume i'm covered by seller protection and they will cover cost if bank refuses...

the sale happened in January and he left it until last week to file an unidentified transaction dispute

this was from an ebay member known as lumcg7393

avoid........ 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

When you list an item on eBay you can enter the minimum amount of feedback required for anyone bidding, you can also block anyone who has cancelled x amount of orders in the past etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

They have limited it now so you can only require a buyer to have 5 positive feedback but it is better than nothing.  ITs on the same page as blocking buyers/sellers on the link I have put above

I feel sorry for the OP. When selling on ebay, you have to be like extra cautious.  Check every thing over and record packing.  One thing I noticed, they said'' buyer bought a gold one ounce last week, received it and then bought another one this week, which was received yesterday'' they sold one item to them and before the buyer left feedback to say they were happy, they then sold and posted another.  That is a massive warning, and two the different name.  The extra cost of living will make more parasites attempt scams. 

Even worse site then ebay is shpock.  I hope you get your money back.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

12 hours ago, Gordy said:

the same thing happened to me a few days ago for a tavex 1g bar, supplied tracking number and not heard anything yet, assume i'm covered by seller protection and they will cover cost if bank refuses...

the sale happened in January and he left it until last week to file an unidentified transaction dispute

this was from an ebay member known as lumcg7393

avoid........ 

Wow, that's a long time back... Can they do that after so many months? 

3 hours ago, Orpster said:

When you list an item on eBay you can enter the minimum amount of feedback required for anyone bidding, you can also block anyone who has cancelled x amount of orders in the past etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

They have limited it now so you can only require a buyer to have 5 positive feedback but it is better than nothing.  ITs on the same page as blocking buyers/sellers on the link I have put above

I usually look at their feedback and their history on ebay for high value items.... But I guess there is always a first time for everything 

2 hours ago, Spyder said:

I feel sorry for the OP. When selling on ebay, you have to be like extra cautious.  Check every thing over and record packing.  One thing I noticed, they said'' buyer bought a gold one ounce last week, received it and then bought another one this week, which was received yesterday'' they sold one item to them and before the buyer left feedback to say they were happy, they then sold and posted another.  That is a massive warning, and two the different name.  The extra cost of living will make more parasites attempt scams. 

Even worse site then ebay is shpock.  I hope you get your money back.

I have probably sold over 10000 various items for about 15 years, and only have less than 2000 feedback, so people generally don't leave feedback..... Anyways I thought repeat buyer is good, they are happy with their first buy. 

Funny thing, just now this buyer has another feedback on their ebay account - exact same scam apparently, bought coins and now disputing.. .... For some reason, it now looks like the buyer's account has been hacked and someone is buying all these coins in their name. The actual account holder is now probably contacted by their bank for this unusual activities. 

My ebay scammer got to keep my coin and I was left £800 out of pocket.

Despite the fact I had proof of delivery and the buyer left me positive feedback.

They claimed the parcel received was empty.

He must have thought of his scam after leaving positive feedback, it made no difference, ebay decided in favour of the buyer, Royal Mail didn't want to know either.

8 minutes ago, Gordy said:

We should compile a hitlist thread where scammers ebay usernames can be posted and highlighted for future reference 

I like this idea, I don't sell on there often since joining TSF and never anything of real value but worth it for others

@AR03 sorry to hear that. People suck. I'm always really nervous of selling stuff incase of getting shafted like this. Never happened to me but ive heard of it happening.

A lot of people only sell their PMs when they are desperate for cash, to then lose that cash that they depend on. Sickening.

hope you get it sorted in your favour, if not, might be worth trying to claim off royal mail and pit ebay and rm against each other until 1 folds. In reality i know its not that easy.

All the best

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32