• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay buyer started bank dispute after receiving two gold coins

AR03

4 hours ago, Gordy said:

We should compile a hitlist thread where scammers ebay usernames can be posted and highlighted for future reference 

@ChrisSilver would this be ok to do this?

don't want to have issues with guidelines, no personal names will be used just ebay usernames for DATA PROTECTION 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

37 minutes ago, Gordy said:

@ChrisSilver would this be ok to do this?

don't want to have issues with guidelines, no personal names will be used just ebay usernames for DATA PROTECTION 

Good idea but from what I have seen scammers don’t use one account for long.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

59 minutes ago, AR03 said:

Just received an update... The dispute was found in my favour because I have provided all the required information... So glad with the outcome... Wanted to leave a feedback on the buyer's account but it says "Now the seller is inactive", guess ebay has closed their account. 

Great news 👍

hope the scammer  get what he deserve

Edited by daca

17 minutes ago, margin said:

That’s good news. What did you need to use as proof of delivery? I usually just rely on the tracking number being logged against the sale. Do they ask for more than that?

Yes, I provided Proof of delivery, tracking number, Royal mail photo and conversation with the buyer through ebay messaging.... All this tracking information is already provided when I sell, but had to send it again. Fortunately I am not out of pocket. 

I hope that ebay actually gets the money back from the scammer... Ebay shouldn't foot the bill for scammers, but anyway it's all sorted now, will be a lot more vigilant now. I do have high value items on ebay, so hopefully won't be seeing this again. 

Thank you again everyone for your support and advice, much appreciated 

On 23/05/2023 at 19:12, AR03 said:

Hi, a buyer bought a gold one ounce last week, received it and then bought another one this week, which was received yesterday. Today they open a dispute saying bank doesn't recognise the transaction, hence the funds are on hold. Funds are about £4000. I have challenged it and sent Proof of delivery, but anyone had this experience before. Can I name the buyer here so others who sell on ebay can be cautious? 

Wow what a turd. I won't use eBay for selling anything including cheap furniture. Rather give it away than deal with the Arthur Daleys. In your case Awuku-Ampofo Daley. Hope you get it sorted.

10 hours ago, AR03 said:

Just received an update... The dispute was found in my favour because I have provided all the required information... So glad with the outcome... Wanted to leave a feedback on the buyer's account but it says "Now the seller is inactive", guess ebay has closed their account. 

Missed that. Good. No doubt Lilly Awuku-Ampofo will pop up again under a complex new alias. Something like Sarah Awuku-Ampofo.

On 27/05/2023 at 07:25, AR03 said:

E-Bay did the right thing and you covered your butt 150%. What they haven’t thought of is the stress and anxiety you suffered. It just isn’t worth the risk on this selling sites for high value items. Fraud and scammers make this a professional business.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

On 27/05/2023 at 07:25, AR03 said:

Very glad to read this worked out, but as @dicker said earlier, they will be back with another ID.

My son started selling a nice watch for me after I acquired a nice used Ltd edition Blancpain privately; but after 2 days of dubious questions & offers, I decided to just gift it to my grandson instead.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

1 minute ago, Coverte said:

Very glad to read this worked out, but as @dicker said earlier, they will be back with another ID.

My son started selling a nice watch for me after I acquired a nice used Ltd edition Blancpain privately; but after 2 days of dubious questions & offers, I decided to just gift it to my grandson instead.

I had much the same experience around 10 years ago.  Odd questions, offers that  were above asking price if I could send part of the money to someone else and of course the request “do you ship to West Africa”.  Wise to keep in the family!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Unbelievable... They have reopened both the disputes again.. This time saying "The buyer hasn't received their item yet"... And again my funds are on hold... What more verification do they need?? Ebay (and their banking institution through ebay) were provided with tracking number and photos, which shows its delivered. I'm puzzled. 

1 minute ago, AR03 said:

Unbelievable... They have reopened both the disputes again.. This time saying "The buyer hasn't received their item yet"... And again my funds are on hold... What more verification do they need?? Ebay (and their banking institution through ebay) were provided with tracking number and photos, which shows its delivered. I'm puzzled. 

bastardos

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 minutes ago, AR03 said:

Offer to take it to court, they'll soon stop messing you around.

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

Just now, Upsidedown said:

Offer to take it to court, they'll soon stop messing you around.

I have Challenged again... But might have to report this person to police with the name and address shown on ebay order details. This is just too much stress. If I loose, I loose my £4000 and the 2 gold ounce coins, altogether nearing £8k😰

Just now, AR03 said:

I have Challenged again... But might have to report this person to police with the name and address shown on ebay order details. This is just too much stress. If I loose, I loose my £4000 and the 2 gold ounce coins, altogether nearing £8k😰

If I were you, I'd nip into a citizens advice, it's free and they're happy to help. The police will not care less, that much I know. Might not be open til Tuesday now though.

They can advise on what options you have, what ebay can and can't do and your rights by law.

You're definitely not hopeless in this situation, reach out, let someone help :)

This really is frustrating, How can they one minute settled in your favour and the next  open the claim again.  Is it ebay that have taken the money out of your account or is it Paypal?   I have noticed that ebay now pays your money even before item is posted. I have not sign a direct debit with ebay, so they could not get money back if they tried. Paypal, I think can.

Maybe the scammer has now gone and disputed with Paypal, thus the case has been opened again.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

5 hours ago, Spyder said:

This really is frustrating, How can they one minute settled in your favour and the next  open the claim again.  Is it ebay that have taken the money out of your account or is it Paypal?   I have noticed that ebay now pays your money even before item is posted. I have not sign a direct debit with ebay, so they could not get money back if they tried. Paypal, I think can.

Maybe the scammer has now gone and disputed with Paypal, thus the case has been opened again.

It's ebay, nothing to do with PayPal anymore

On 28/05/2023 at 17:07, Upsidedown said:

If I were you, I'd nip into a citizens advice, it's free and they're happy to help. The police will not care less, that much I know. Might not be open til Tuesday now though.

They can advise on what options you have, what ebay can and can't do and your rights by law.

You're definitely not hopeless in this situation, reach out, let someone help :)

Thank you, might consider this... But will wait for ebay's reply 

Just now, AR03 said:

Thank you, might consider this... But will wait for ebay's reply 

I wouldn't delay going, the longer it's left the fewer options you may have. It's worth getting advice ASAP so you know what your next step is before it happens, stay ahead of the game. Good luck 🤞

On 28/05/2023 at 17:04, AR03 said:

This bit does not make sense. You can not lose twice. You can only lose the two coins you posted if it goes against you. The £4000 would be what you were paid by the scammer. Now Ebay is holding the scammers money and will either pay it back to them or to you. If it goes to them you lose two ounces of gold. 

Just hope it works out for you and like has been said, the sooner you seek legal advice the better.

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret