• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Full list of Sotd(s)

refero

SOTD 2021 QEII 95th Birthday: For this historic event, The Royal Mint will strike a limited number of Sovereigns – just 1,295 – on 21 April 2021, exactly 95 years on from Her Majesty’s birth. The obverse will bear the instantly recognisable portrait of The Queen, while the St George and the dragon design by Benedetto Pistrucci will appear on the reverse. For this year only, the classic design is joined by an exclusive ‘95’ crown privy mark created for this historic occasion.

Struck on 2nd June 2012 the first day of the Diamond Jubilee,
Mintage: 2,012
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated
Reverse features a modern St George designed by Paul Day

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

On 25/04/2023 at 10:53, Orpster said:

Great information thanks

@Touvex

Thank you mate!

Very useful indeed.

Does anyone have info on which ones are plain edge?

I believe it’s only from 2017 - but not sure if 2017 only had 1 inches plain edge for the 200tj sovereign anniversary? 

22 hours ago, dvl said:

Based on what we witnessed in the last 24h with price of Coronation SOTD on the secondary market do you guys think that Platinum Jubilee SOTD will also increase further given the lower MCM (1210)? 

What happened? Have they shot up in price already?

10 hours ago, Touvex said:

Thank you mate!

Very useful indeed.

Does anyone have info on which ones are plain edge?

I believe it’s only from 2017 - but not sure if 2017 only had 1 inches plain edge for the 200tj sovereign anniversary? 

As far as I know, prior to 2017, the most recent plain edge was the KG VI Sovereign set of 1937.

The QE II Pattern Proof Sovereign of 1953 and the QE II VIP Proof Sovereign of 1976 both had, I believe, reeded edges.

Worth  knowing with some of these sold way less than the mintage figures making some of these extremely low population. They only sold 485 2018 George's 5th Birth SOTD sovereigns.  

This is my favourite SOTD as its an unmilled, George and Dragon, un tattooed, proof sovereign in everything but name!

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/mintage-figures/2018-dated-uk-commemorative-coin-sales/

Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 07.55.29.png

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

On 25/04/2023 at 13:04, CaptCaveMan said:

Struck on 2nd June 2012 the first day of the Diamond Jubilee,
Mintage: 2,012
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated
Reverse features a modern St George designed by Paul Day

i always thought "SotDs" started on 2013. and that the 2012 Diamond Jubilee was not a Sotd but "just" a brilliant uncirculed

There are  some inaccuracies in the reported mintage figure for these coins, even RM sales figures don’t match the mintages in Marsh.  If you look at the 2018 George’s 5th birthday RM sales 485, Marsh only 457 minted.

Im hoping to meet Steve Hill in person and got loads of questions to ask him, this will be one of them, I presume the Marsh mintage figures are the updated one as marsh is the accepted standard we all work from. 

68E6541F-9D14-4566-8A21-C71B417DD09C.jpeg

Just thinking  out loud if RM reported sales of 485 yet marsh is 457 a difference of 28 and this could have been returns that were scrapped, and Marsh was updated to reflect this.  

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Just thinking  out loud if RM reported sales of 485 yet marsh is 457 a difference of 28 and this could have been returns that were scrapped, and Marsh was updated to reflect this.  

I’m wondering how they ended up with less than the max mintage because all these SotDs were sold out, meaning they were definitely struck.

As you suggest, does the RM scrap (melt down?) returns rather than resell them at current market prices?

Edited by westminstrel

On 27/04/2023 at 13:07, westminstrel said:

I’m wondering how they ended up with less than the max mintage because all these SotDs were sold out, meaning they were definitely struck.

As you suggest, does the RM scrap (melt down?) returns rather than resell them at current market prices?

The 2018 Sapphire Coronation (Marsh and others - I assume they use those figures - say 323, which is a very definite number, I'd love to know where that figure comes from @GoldDiggerDave!) was a strange case. It 'sold out' fairly quickly at the Mint, but not by the crazy standards we've seen since 2019. It wasn't that hard to get them from certain dealers that are not so commonly mentioned on here. The problem was the caps, all came off in transit, in some cases causing damage. Because there was no problem getting replacements from the aforementioned sources I returned a handful before I got ones I was 100% happy with, but in hindsight I was being super picky because of the capsule problem, and wish I'd kept one or two more, as I now believe this one is a 'name your price' coin (or soon will be, within reason of course - personally I'm holding long-term).

No idea what happened to all the returns, or why the stated mintage is so low. Maybe the company I dealt with sold them at discount to their employees (they were pretty clueless) and the actual mintage is higher than Marsh thinks (?).

Edited by kimchi

18 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Until 2017, all the SotDs were BU strikes.

The 2017 200th Anniversary of the Sovereign SotD was also classed as a BU, but it was quite obviously a proof strike. They just couldn’t call it that because customers would be mad that another, more limited proof 2017 Sovereign got released.

The last time I looked the Mint said that BUs are struck 3 times, and Proofs are struck up to 6 (and of course you would expect more attention to the dies, and to QC although we know that can be hit and miss to say the least). Whether that's actually the case or not I've no idea. With the 2017 I agree it's indistinguishable in quality (and the 'error' CoA didn't help! 🤣 ). So I think we can put that down to the Mint making them just like a Proof - the error Cert certainly suggests some serious internal confusion!

My 2018 Sapphire Coronations are a bit different, definitely almost proof, but a lighter strike. Slightly more subtle (less contrast) than a full proof, very elegant in a way, and that's why it's one of the favourite modern Sovs I have (most eye appeal for me) :)

I only have the 2017 and 2018 so can't really comment on any others, except that I just personally wasn't attracted to the Mattes.

Edited by kimchi

12 hours ago, kimchi said:

The 2018 Sapphire Coronation (Marsh and others - I assume they use those figures - say 323, which is a very definite number, I'd love to know where that figure comes from @GoldDiggerDave!) was a strange case. It 'sold out' fairly quickly at the Mint, but not by the crazy standards we've seen since 2019. It wasn't that hard to get them from certain dealers that are not so commonly mentioned on here. The problem was the caps, all came off in transit, in some cases causing damage. Because there was no problem getting replacements from the aforementioned sources I returned a handful before I got ones I was 100% happy with, but in hindsight I was being super picky because of the capsule problem, and wish I'd kept one or two more, as I now believe this one is a 'name your price' coin (or soon will be, within reason of course - personally I'm holding long-term).

No idea what happened to all the returns, or why the stated mintage is so low. Maybe the company I dealt with sold them at discount to their employees (they were pretty clueless) and the actual mintage is higher than Marsh thinks (?).

I have 2 of these but when I took out to list they had a lot of frosting missing and didn’t look fit enough to list so didn’t.       If I ended up with 2 like it I expect a lot of others were the same. Could be only 150 or so in perfect condition 

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

A few SOTD’s for the post, you will see the difference in the attribution from MS70DPL to MS70MATTE

IMG_9038.jpeg

IMG_9036.jpeg

IMG_9040.jpeg

Are they doing the coronation sovereign for VIP tours? Or is it the Britannia 2023 as advertised?