• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Coronation Coin Range Reveal

37 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Does the RM even know these were minted 🤣? I’m still wanting one. Won’t be coming from the US though. .. well maybe a silver 🤔

The silver is within reach (though overpriced), but the gold is out of sight.  $6,295 (USD) for a 1 oz. gold?  I don't think so.  And, in the e-mail I got, GovMint had the nerve to say that they are saving you money because they showed an eBay ad of someone selling it for $6,900!

1 hour ago, Agaupl said:

Does the RM even know these were minted 🤣? I’m still wanting one. Won’t be coming from the US though. .. well maybe a silver 🤔

i asked my RM account manager about this the other day and got this reply, i think he meant to say 200 graded as opposed to 100 graded IMG_5529.thumb.JPG.e9c67d129899ebb0b7fbf16f531d6035.JPG

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

I think the silver reverse proof mintage is within that 1,000 mintage limit.  This is quite strange.  GovMint told me that the COA and the RM box they received the coin in before grading state that the coin is proof (not reverse proof) (same box and COA as the proof coin) with a mintage of 1,000.  So, it looks to me like the RM reserved a part of the mintage for reverse proofs that went to GovMint.  Certainly, I haven't seen them anywhere else.

33 minutes ago, Paul said:

i asked my RM account manager about this the other day and got this reply, i think he meant to say 200 graded as opposed to 100 graded IMG_5529.thumb.JPG.e9c67d129899ebb0b7fbf16f531d6035.JPG

4 hours ago, foinikas said:

the 1oz proof gold mintage is 685 mate

Thanks @foinikas! Not sure where I got my 300 figure from. 🙂

So now I just checked the details of the 1oz Gold proof and realized that although the max mintage was 685, the presentation was only 500.

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/ounce/the-coronation-of-his-majesty-king-charles-iii-1oz-gold-proof-coin/

What happened to the remaining 185?

Assuming a round figure of 5 or 10 or so were set aside for Trial of the Pyx type stuff, that leaves about a 100 to 150, so @JeffM and @Paul are probably right that the original mintages included the reverse proofs.

The 2oz silver on the other hand had both a max mintage and presentation of 1,000…

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/ounce/the-coronation-of-his-majesty-king-charles-iii-2023-2oz-silver-proof-coin/

… so not sure what’s going on there. I’m almost certain the Royal Mint wouldn’t have minted 1,000 silver reverse proofs though, given the reverse proofs usually have smaller mintages than the normal proofs. 

5 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Thanks @foinikas! Not sure where I got my 300 figure from. 🙂

So now I just checked the details of the 1oz Gold proof and realized that although the max mintage was 685, the presentation was only 500.

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/ounce/the-coronation-of-his-majesty-king-charles-iii-1oz-gold-proof-coin/

What happened to the remaining 185?

Assuming a round figure of 5 or 10 or so were set aside for Trial of the Pyx type stuff, that leaves about a 100 to 150, so @JeffM and @Paul are probably right that the original mintages included the reverse proofs.

The 2oz silver on the other hand had both a max mintage and presentation of 1,000…

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/charles-iii/coronation/ounce/the-coronation-of-his-majesty-king-charles-iii-2023-2oz-silver-proof-coin/

… so not sure what’s going on there. I’m almost certain the Royal Mint wouldn’t have minted 1,000 silver reverse proofs though, given the reverse proofs usually have smaller mintages than the normal proofs. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/g100p/varieties/331959/

Less than 30 sat on NGC's books currently - so the missing 185 have not been pre-graded and sold off 

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/g100p/varieties/331959/

Less than 30 sat on NGC's books currently - so the missing 185 have not been pre-graded and sold off 

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/g100p/varieties/332433/

144 have already been graded with 131 already achieving pf 70 mate

50 minutes ago, Paul said:

Thanks, Paul.  This is as I expected.  I am now even more tempted to bite the bullet on a 2 oz. RP silver, seeing how relatively rare it is.

Except for us collectors in the U.S., this really stinks.  A UK coin variant, struck in the UK, that is not available in the UK.  I don't think I've seen that here with US coins, but it wouldn't surprise me, especially when a money grab is involved.  The problem here is getting a hot issue from the US Mint.  Flippers and their bots used to clog the mint site, making it next to impossible to break through and make a purchase.  The US Mint solved that beautifully by setting up advance subscriptions for popular coins.  Now, we just leisurely sign up for a subscription to get the annual coins in the issue and then sit back and watch on release day.  It's a beautiful thing.

On 15/07/2023 at 18:06, timsk said:

. . . I've already written to the Royal Mint saying I'd like a replacement or, if there isn't one available, a full refund.

Well, the duff coin went back to the Royal Mint (RM) and I've just received its replacement. Is it perfect? No, I don't think so, but the fault really is minor (compared to the previous one) and I had to look at the coin closely before I spotted a very feint mark in the background field - on the reverse this time - just below the first N in Coronation. I've circled it in red in the pic', below. So, my question to all you good folk here is: I'm I making a mountain out of a molehill and this is just about acceptable in the broad scheme of things, or is it unacceptable and I should go back to RM and raise merry hell?

(NB: Pic' is taken with the capsule lid off.)

Corona_Piedfort.thumb.jpg.f8cf11fd070419e1ebab513ae987d1e1.jpg

Edited by timsk

11 minutes ago, timsk said:

Well, the duff coin went back to the Royal Mint (RM) and I've just received its replacement. Is it perfect? No, I don't think so, but the fault really is minor (compared to the previous one) and I had to look at the coin closely before I spotted a very feint mark in the background field - on the reverse this time - just below the first N in Coronation. I've circled it in red in the pic', below. So, my question to all you good folk here is: I'm I making a mountain out of a molehill and this is just about acceptable in the broad scheme of things, or is it unacceptable and I should go back to RM and raise merry hell?

As a proof I thought they guaranteed a pf68 level or above? 

I could be completely making this up though🤣

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

13 minutes ago, timsk said:

Unacceptable imho. Stands out like a sore thumb!

23 hours ago, JeffM said:

Thanks, Paul.  This is as I expected.  I am now even more tempted to bite the bullet on a 2 oz. RP silver, seeing how relatively rare it is.

Except for us collectors in the U.S., this really stinks.  A UK coin variant, struck in the UK, that is not available in the UK.  I don't think I've seen that here with US coins, but it wouldn't surprise me, especially when a money grab is involved.  The problem here is getting a hot issue from the US Mint.  Flippers and their bots used to clog the mint site, making it next to impossible to break through and make a purchase.  The US Mint solved that beautifully by setting up advance subscriptions for popular coins.  Now, we just leisurely sign up for a subscription to get the annual coins in the issue and then sit back and watch on release day.  It's a beautiful thing.

Is there any sign of this from other US dealers? Or just these guys? 

Aaaahhh😉

39 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Is there any sign of this from other US dealers? Or just these guys? 

From what I can see, it's just GovMint / Modern Coin Mart (same company).  This is a heavy hitter company here that gets lots of exclusives.  Since they get the exclusive, they set their prices high.  So, if you want it, you have to pay.  GovMint recently got the exclusive distributorship of The Great Kentucky Hoard coins that has made big slashes in the news recently.  (Farmer found millions of dollars in gold coins on his Kentucky farm that were buried for over 150 years.)

4 minutes ago, JeffM said:

From what I can see, it's just GovMint / Modern Coin Mart (same company).  This is a heavy hitter company here that gets lots of exclusives.  Since they get the exclusive, they set their prices high.  So, if you want it, you have to pay.  GovMint recently got the exclusive distributorship of The Great Kentucky Hoard coins that has made big slashes in the news recently.  (Farmer found millions of dollars in gold coins on his Kentucky farm that were buried for over 150 years.)

Yeah was wondering when that would be up for sale 

Aaaahhh😉

40 minutes ago, BornAgainBullion said:

I did finally receive my 2oz silver Coronation coin today. I thought the protracted delay might mean I get a nice low number... Nope. #0764. Beautiful coin though. 

I received my 2oz coronation silver today and my COA number was also in the 700s. I agree that is a beautiful coin and a good size to show off the design. Only looked at it quickly after work but looks to be in good condition. Limited mintage of just 1,000 is also good.

48 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

On the subject of the 1/4oz cipher only being availiable from BBP, does anyone know why neither Chards nor Atkinsons have the 1/4oz Clarence Bull?

BTW, that 1/4 oz. cypher is also available from gold.co.uk.

13 minutes ago, SiCole said:

Thats actually also BBP.

12 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

gold.co.uk is run by the same company as bullion by post. I think they even share the same logins.

But they often have different prices, so choose whichever is cheaper!

Thanks, fellas.  I thought their websites look very similar.  BTW, their prices for the 1/4 oz. cypher are the same.

Something seems off with the packaging and mintage.

The box and COA are of the regular 2oz silver proof.

However the COA does say 494 so there must be at least 500 of the silver reverse proofs; if not 1,000 as stated by others here (and the RM just reused the same packing and COAs).

(Images from an eBay listing).

IMG_4931.thumb.jpeg.100adb2e85faf52310f237d847404719.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg.cdcec05ac3884b026b0cadf628966410.jpeg

Edited by westminstrel