• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

Just as reference point for all I finally pulled the trigger on returning my 2oz silver set. It was beautifully presented and didn't have any flaws as far as I could tell. The RM did a great job on presentation and I appreciated the innovation of the rubber to stop the coins moving etc. But it was too much of a risk to keep for me although I wanted to, so as to keep my 2oz silver run going. 

Earlier today the available quantity of 2oz silver was still 1371 for info which does seem to paint it's own picture.

Finally got my order of 2Oz silver. My case is the worst probably, on cursory inspection the set looks fine, but I've ordered 2 sets and got only one. Plastic bag was left in my mailbox ripped, one set is missing :( Royal Mint should make you sign for these things, I would've never signed for this shipment. 

7 hours ago, jcbxly said:

Plastic bag was left in my mailbox ripped, one set is missing

I had the similar issue with the last shipment from RM, but the RM plastic bag was put (I think by post) into another one and both fixed with the adhesive tape, so I actually signed for it at the post office, to realize at home that one 1oz proof coin (The Rolling Stones) is stolen. Fortunately to me, the QEII Legasy set was in place. I think that's a bad practice when RM puts several order items just into a plastic bag, and not into the bigger cardboard box.

18 minutes ago, QuantumStacker said:

I really don't think this set of coins from this collection should be graded. I think people may prefer them in years to come in the original form. 

I agree. The original RM presentation is pretty unique and spectacular by itself, especially as the perspex capsule thingey seems to magnify and highlight the edge inscription.

Got my 2Oz set from @Chards the other week but waiting to return it as the obverse of both coins have marks. Shame as the coins look great and a love the rim.  Emailed them last weekend and not heard back so will have to ring them. 

20230416_142942.thumb.jpg.2c905ce61c9f176bafe545ac93f12580.jpg20230416_142811.thumb.jpg.1f8c52d727fccc1b656fa2533d857c43.jpg20230416_142722.thumb.jpg.b3645dea19ae33da71d64bb760df5de1.jpg

19 minutes ago, 272 said:

Both - definitely dust and fluff inside the capsule but also some clear marks and dings - particularly on the rims 

That’s just so sad. 🙁

Mine had some brown burn marks on one coin (everything else was okay), and the set is now on its way back to UK from Australia. 😖

5 hours ago, jcbxly said:

Has anyone tried using compressed air canisters to clear out dust on the coins and inside of the capsules? Just wondering if it is safe?

You can get little hand pumps for cleaning camera lens and they work perfect and there only a couple quid. I wouldnt use any type of air compressor to do this. 

6 hours ago, jcbxly said:

Has anyone tried using compressed air canisters to clear out dust on the coins and inside of the capsules? Just wondering if it is safe?

Don't do this - they could put small traces of oil/lubricant on the coin.

Use a hand blower.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my refund for the gold set after return due to poor quality control, the Royal Mint have ruined this series with poor quality control and long delays in sending out coins, I have decided just to keep the silvers and sell on the gold coins and not buy any others in gold from this series. 

• 1 month later...

The first graded pair of 2oz gold PF70s Petition Crown ive seen sell at auction 

Heritage auctions in America so not a unknown backstreet auction house by any means 

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-charles-iii-2-piece-gold-petition-crown-proof-set-2023-pr70-ultra-cameo-ngc-total-2-coins-/a/232324-63365.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

June 15th - Hammered @ $12,600 USD 

$12,600.00 US Dollars =  £9,834.1814 British Pounds (xe.com)

1 USD = 0.780491 GBP / 1 GBP = 1.28125 USD

RM RRP at launch was £11,610

So seller has lost -£1,776, + the incurred the costs of grading and also the auction commission if there were any in less than 3 months 

The USA buying market have not ran to bid up this new Great Engravers release in the series 

Is buying 70s in the secondary market after launch the new trend what to do ???

@westminstrel 

IMG_5504.JPG

Edited by Paul

Thanks @Paul.

I’m not sure how these auctions work, but I’m surprised the seller did not have a reserve price in place.

Was the seller a dealer or someone who got it at a price significantly below issue price? Or perhaps it was a distress sale? 🤔 

I would’ve moved hell and high water to get it at this price. The buyer got really lucky imo.

Initially I want impressed with the idea of this coin, but I had the privilege of seeing the gold 2oz in person, and I have to admit it is among the best coins the Royal Mint has struck in recent times. The finish is very sublime almost like butter, the frosting on the Portrait and the large letters of the circumscription is quite unique (similar to the original, I assume, as it is also that way on my silver 2oz and I’ve not ever seen it used on any other coin ranges before), and the edge inscription is genuinely a marvel to look at. More than a coin I would describe it as a miniature piece of art.

Meanwhile, the Royal Mint also seems to have increased the price of this set to £11,790 now. 👀 

https://www.royalmint.com/great-engravers/petition-crown/great-engravers-petition-crown-2oz-gold-proof-two-coin-set/

31 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

At 9.8k that buyer got a bargain. 😳. I can’t comment on the future profit in those sets but the design is a stunner, as has been the whole series. The wider economics are biting. 

He’s already flipped it apparently, based on his own FB post 

Re Heritage auctions. They charge a buyer and seller’s premium and consigners can negotiate based on expected sale levels. Some people will have a share of the buyers commission and no sellers commission. The price stated by Paul with the conversion rate is the *total price* paid by the buyer - so the consigner will get a lot less and has lost out a lot more if they bought at RRP. Heritage will take the majority of the premium.

How do I know? I have consigned with Heritage a bit and have had similar agreements in the past.