• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 sov or 1 oz 2023 Britannia bullion

GrayMan

Hi, If you had the option of buying the current 1 oz 2023 Britannia gold bullion coin with QE2 on it or buying a few 2022 sovs, which option would you go for for the long term? 

When it comes to both these coins, will the Royal Mint stop producing them on 31 Dec? and are they likely to be still available in the new year from other gold dealers from your experience from past years? 

Thanks

48 minutes ago, GrayMan said:

Hi, If you had the option of buying the current 1 oz 2023 Britannia gold bullion coin with QE2 on it or buying a few 2022 sovs, which option would you go for for the long term? 

When it comes to both these coins, will the Royal Mint stop producing them on 31 Dec? and are they likely to be still available in the new year from other gold dealers from your experience from past years? 

Thanks

Both bullion coins, so I'd go for what works out cheapest over spot. Which normally would be a 1oz Gold Britannia.

Using Chards prices right now:

• 1oz Gold Britannia (2023 QE2) = £1,554 (with shipping) = 5.7% over spot
  • 4x2022 Sovs = £1,498 (with shipping) = 8.2% over spot

Despite what some people think, I don't think mass produced bullion coins will ever get numismatic value just for being the first of King Charles' reign, or the last of Queen Lizzie's. At least not in our lifetime. But there are a lot of stupid people on eBay...

Edited by SheepStacker

Buy high. Sell low.

2 hours ago, GrayMan said:

Thanks

Go with the sovs. 

You have just sliced your liquidity into 4. If you need a little cash in future, just sell one or as many sovs as you need!

With the 1oz you have to sell the whole coin, yes you will still get the cash you need but there's a strong possibility you will squander the rest.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Don't put all your golden eggs into one basket. Its better to have a diverse portfolio of gold holdings, so buy everything you can get your hands on. Start with Sovereigns, preferably Golden Gillicks or Pink Clarks, if you must, but a few 1oz gold bullions and some 1/4oz Brits (1/4oz QBs if you can still get them) will not go amiss!  A few gold proofs, single or sets perhaps. Have I missed out anything?! At least with a mixture you can decide in an emergency which ones to sell. Just like shares, some will do better than others. Anyway, that's what I would do/have done. On the other hand do you want to be a 'Goldaholic' as we enter the worst recession since WW2? What choices!.......😄

On 22/11/2022 at 12:49, Britannia47 said:

Don't put all your golden eggs into one basket. Its better to have a diverse portfolio of gold holdings, so buy everything you can get your hands on. Start with Sovereigns, preferably Golden Gillicks or Pink Clarks, if you must, but a few 1oz gold bullions and some 1/4oz Brits (1/4oz QBs if you can still get them) will not go amiss!  A few gold proofs, single or sets perhaps. Have I missed out anything?! At least with a mixture you can decide in an emergency which ones to sell. Just like shares, some will do better than others. Anyway, that's what I would do/have done. On the other hand do you want to be a 'Goldaholic' as we enter the worst recession since WW2? What choices!.......😄

Good advice.
I'm curious why you've mentioned 1/4oz Brits rather than just sovs for 1/4 oz range. It seems like most peple buy sovs in 1/4 oz or otherwise 1 oz brits or other types of 1 oz coins :)

5 minutes ago, GrayMan said:

Good advice.
I'm curious why you've mentioned 1/4oz Brits rather than just sovs for 1/4 oz range. It seems like most peple buy sovs in 1/4 oz or otherwise 1 oz brits or other types of 1 oz coins :)

Not necessarily...

2 reasons I can think of, firstly 1/4oz is easier to calculate than a sovereign ( sovereign is slightly less than a 1/4oz) 

2nd reason, not everyone likes 22ct gold. Whereas a 1/4 oz Britannia is 24ct.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I like the 1/4 oz & chose to get those instead of sovereigns.

I started with 1/10oz gold coins, now on 1/4oz.

I think the sovereigns are a horrible colour & you can get some really nice 1/4oz coins.
There are Tudor Beasts in 1/4oz at the minute which I think look pretty nice as well as the Britannia.

For liquidity I'd rather have 4 x 1/4oz than 1 x 1oz because if you only need £500 you don't have to cash out a whole oz.
If I bought in ozs, I would end up buying a new gadget or some Lego & the 'extra' money would be permanently lost from my gold stack.
It's also much easier to get the money together for the smaller bits of gold, so while you do pay a bit of a higher premium, you can more easily get the next coin.
If I'd waited until I had enough for an ounce to buy my first gold coin, I'd still be waiting.
Instead I have an ounce already in smaller coins & have just gone over that too.

I would always say sovs, but the premiums are upwards of 8 per cent and more with postage.. thats bonkers it should be 2 or 3 per cent for a bog standard bullion coin.    might as well buy bars from Bairds if you just want gold ounces.   

On 24/11/2022 at 00:01, James32 said:

Not necessarily...

2 reasons I can think of, firstly 1/4oz is easier to calculate than a sovereign ( sovereign is slightly less than a 1/4oz) 

2nd reason, not everyone likes 22ct gold. Whereas a 1/4 oz Britannia is 24ct.

Are premiums for 1/4 oz coins the same as for sovs? Thanks