• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Binlord of the week on ebay

dicker

9 minutes ago, dicker said:

Where to start with this shocker…. Could be genuine but £500…..free postage though!

@Silverlocks what do you think grade wise?

1 minute ago, dicker said:

There are real oddities on eBay this one (non pm) is just bizarre. Money laundering? Chancer?  No idea!

5981C924-FE7D-447B-89EF-CB243585220B.png

24ct gold baked beans perhaps

28 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

@Silverlocks what do you think grade wise?

Seen worse on your listings.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

47 minutes ago, dicker said:

Looks like it's been gnawed by one of the rats up at my allotment!

15 hours ago, Solachesis said:

On top of the fact that the coin looks incredibly dodgy, I was under the impression there was no quarter sovereigns until 2009.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155336110526?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=P1JZ_MhISny&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=z1wqlu01szc&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It crossed my mind , for £6.50 someone might just want this out of curiosity.. it looks awful and probably should be binned but someone might be happy to have a small flutter on it just to see what it is ? 

8 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Again someone curious may have paid below scrap gold price but £500 😂  looks cleaned to me. Probably ex jewelry. 

Edited by pricha

57 minutes ago, dicker said:

There are real oddities on eBay this one (non pm) is just bizarre. Money laundering? Chancer?  No idea!

5981C924-FE7D-447B-89EF-CB243585220B.png

I think this stuff tends to be a screen for other transactions, of which money laundering is one possibility.  Perhaps the participants get some sort of plausible deniability.  Also, you can take money from Ebay into a paypal account and then send it elsewhere or buy crypto with it without drawing it down into your own account.  I guess there's also nothing stopping one from paying from a pre-paid card for the 'purchase.'

There are also quite a lot of privacy and confidentiality laws in various jurisdictions, and there is money in confidentiality, so I suppose it raises the bar to requiring the rozzers to know what they're looking for to identify dodgy transactions.  However, I have no idea how effective it would be against heuristic AI type searches.

Given that folks have been doing this for some years now, it must be at least somewhat effective for whatever it's being used for.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

37 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Well, just sitting in the ground wouldn’t have done that to it?🤔🤔

Just now, dicker said:

I’m pretty sure EBay shares information with HMRC, but none the less it is very odd. 

It does assume Ebay has enough information to connect the dots.  If you're not registered for VAT, all Ebay has are whatever address and contact details you provide, and it doesn't stop you from paying through a pre-pay card.  I have no idea how the other end of the transaction works.

1 hour ago, bluffer said:

seems legit

apart from two negs and most of the positives seem to be him buying stuff. 9999 and serial nbr(?) looks weird on the half crown. and he comes from kirkcaldy

This coin is a ‘Tiddler’ (16mm) Made from 9 carat gold from Tristan Da Cunha!😀

Edited by Britannia47

On 01/01/2023 at 15:08, Fishface220 said:

I’m pretty sure it won’t let you leave feedback if eBay refund you? I may be wrong but it would let me last time I had an issue

Oh yes it does - one thing ebay gets right - the ability to report a dishonest seller, get your money back from ebay and publicly call them out.

Thing is they won't go further and kick the sons of b£%@#÷× off the platform. Too many $$$ for them to lose out on I reckon...

On 01/01/2023 at 14:33, Mtaybar said:

They know what they're doing.  preying on people's naivety and putting a flimsy, wet disclaimer with the "what we think is...." it's gross

He would never knowingly do it 🙃

Screenshot_20230103_092706_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

1 minute ago, Solachesis said:

He would never knowingly do it 🙃

Screenshot_20230103_092706_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

After messaging him about this, I have had a message off this one this morning… ‘40 years of selling stamps’, ‘honest’, ‘haven’t you ever made a mistake?’ etc. so I just deleted the message😮🤔😁

3 minutes ago, Petra said:

After messaging him about this, I have had a message off this one this morning… ‘40 years of selling stamps’, ‘honest’, ‘haven’t you ever made a mistake?’ etc. so I just deleted the message😮🤔😁

I've had similar.... but apparently I'm the worst message he's had as everyone else just knows he made a mistake lol. Apparently 9 others messaged him🤣

1 minute ago, Mtaybar said:

I've had similar.... but apparently I'm the worst message he's had as everyone else just knows he made a mistake lol. Apparently 9 others messaged him🤣

Give him his due, sounds like we all got different messages! Probably panicking, as selling stamps on eBay is very easy, with only the cost of a stamp to send his stuff. He wouldn’t want to risk losing that. That will teach him not to try branching out🤔😮

Gold foil certificate krug strikes again. 

"Small collection found during clear out" get to **** mate.

MULTIPLE happy purchases by people. 

Reported as fraudulent but I don't have the mental energy to message him today. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385330559144?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3tndhutyrc2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=z1wqlu01szc&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20230103_205143_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20230103_205153_com.ebay.mobile.jpg