• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Royal Mint Horror Stories 😱

Hello all,

I’ve seen a number of negative experiences posted on other threads about The Royal Mint - so decided to make a topic where you could all share them in one place & hopefully someone from the RM will see it. 

As many of you know I only started stacking this year so my experience of buying from the RM is limited. However, I’ve already had a couple of quality control issues with them. 

Thankfully the returns process was fairly straightforward & I documented it below, but I’m surprised coins this badly damaged even make it past quality control in the first place?

What are your experiences with buying from the RM?

32 minutes ago, Mothballjim said:

Hello all,

I’ve seen a number of negative experiences posted on other threads about The Royal Mint - so decided to make a topic where you could all share them in one place & hopefully someone from the RM will see it. 

As many of you know I only started stacking this year so my experience of buying from the RM is limited. However, I’ve already had a couple of quality control issues with them. 

Thankfully the returns process was fairly straightforward & I documented it below, but I’m surprised coins this badly damaged even make it past quality control in the first place?

It didn't get past RM Quality Control.

You are RMQC, and it didn't get past you, 😎

Chards

The picture you show is very typical of many RM fine silver coins these days.
Sometimes you get lucky and they can be pretty good, but not always mark free - unlike other Mints.
I have lots of brand new RM coins just like the picture shows and I am pretty disgusted at the lack of QC, but the RM ( same goes for earlier milk spotted Maples and some other coins ) only guarantees weight and purity despite going to the trouble of creating nice designs and promoting their creations.
I assume these coins are stamped out like their circulating currency coins i.e. high speed presses with coins falling into hoppers, sliding over each other on a conveyor belt then shaken around a bit to pass through counters before being packaged.
Because silver is so soft the slightest collisions of metal to metal will scratch and ding the surfaces in usually the highest points.
Sometimes you see a footprint of a reeded edge so that would suggest coins dropping from a height onto those lying underneath.

An argument for buying over the counter if we have the opportunity. Except that will not cover later milk spotting.

It's sad that so many affordable designs have the potential to be ruined, and ruin the worth of one's stack. Is that at least reflected in the premiums? 

2 hours ago, Lucylucy said:

On the plus side, I have just received my 10 oz Greyhound by return of post and in lovely condition.

Am I just lucky?

Yes - lucky to get a coin that is blemish free from the RM but the odd ones do slip through fortunately.

I imagine the process of minting the heavier coins is less automated and might involve people picking and placing rather than falling through a chute into a hopper gaining scuffs, abrasions, dings and pits on the way.

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

You should be aware that the 2D barcodes on those printed Royal Mail postal labels also contain the sender's postcode, so you might want to redact the one in your video in the same way as you have for all your received items in your unboxing videos.

Hello Paul, thanks for the comment & concern. I will bear this in mind next time. I use my personal YouTube channel to upload my gold/silver videos, so I’m sure if someone really wanted to they could track me down, as my face is in a lot of my videos. I don’t store metals in my house so would be a lot of effort & waste of time for someone to come here 😂

1 minute ago, Mothballjim said:

Hello Paul, thanks for the comment & concern. I will bear this in mind next time. I use my personal YouTube channel to upload my gold/silver videos, so I’m sure if someone really wanted to they could track me down, as my face is in a lot of my videos. I don’t store metals in my house so would be a lot of effort & waste of time for someone to come here 😂

But what about the two coins in the back garden 🤣

The c**p I had with the RM you just couldnt make up it was that bad. Was thinking of starting a thread to tell my horrendous experience but it would be quite long and I didn't want to bore every one with it lol. Put it this way they ended up compensating me nearly £200 and I will never by from them again. Terrible company useless staff and useless management 

I have a liking for chinese lunar coins. Perth mint, RAM, APMEX etc. I would like to include RM in that list but the quality and design of their coins was so shockingly poor i gave up on them! Just as well as these coins were not cheap.

After a couple of really really bad QB's 1oz  i took the decision to completely stop buying from the rm totally. The QB's were at the time the rm to die for series and the quality the rm were producing showed the inept manufacturing and quality control that still exists there today 5 manybe 6 years later!   However i still buy older RM products such as bullion sovs secondhand and other quality bits 'n' bobs.

I'm not really interested in the rm's moderm imcompetent design processes either rehashing old beautiful designs from a bygone age and a blundering heavy handed production with eye watering premiums!

On 11/10/2021 at 20:22, Mothballjim said:

Tell us all 🍿 

If I get a spare 2 hrs I'll share it with everyone. Only thing I can say in short is the RM is the worst company I've ever dealt with even right up to high up management even those people were just as incompetent as the kids answering the phones 😐

As you may have seen in another thread, I bought a Trial of the Pyx coin last week - one of only ten to be returned from the trial!  Due to an evident lack of care at their end, they installed it wrong-face-up in its tamper-evident display card, so I asked them what they could do about it.

One week later...

The Royal Mint has eventually responded to my email. They have apologised for the way my item has arrived, but because the item is no longer available, all I can do is return it for a refund.

I am far from impressed.

9 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

As you may have seen in another thread, I bought a Trial of the Pyx coin last week - one of only ten to be returned from the trial!  Due to an evident lack of care at their end, they installed it wrong-face-up in its tamper-evident display card, so I asked them what they could do about it.

One week later...

The Royal Mint has eventually responded to my email. They have apologised for the way my item has arrived, but because the item is no longer available, all I can do is return it for a refund.

I am far from impressed.

Royal mint are beyond useless one of the worst company's I've dealt with. I will never give a penny to them again