• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2.5 dollar Indian head

Dan12345

Hi all I'm very new to all this, would any of you guys buy this coin at thus price from the royal mint. I know they are a bit over priced than other places but you've not got to worry about fakes with them and I have an account so wouldn't have to pay it all in one go. So way to expensive or a decent investment 

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/historic-coins/commonwealth-and-world-coins/united-states-of-america/us-indian-head-gold-2.5-dollar-1908-1929-ef/

As said, you could buy else where from a reputable dealer and not get ripped off. 
The RM really dont have much credibility left. The QC on their new coins can be shocking and they rip you off on other countries older coins. They need to get a grip and fast. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Put a wanted ad on here on the buy/sell page 

I paid £300 for one on here posted they pop up on here for 250/350 so happy hunting,

don’t fall foul to the royal mints extortion and there’s a lot of trustworthy sellers on here if not all. :) 

Edited by Scaffstacker

Thats definitely too much compared with other sources.

One word of caution, counterfeits of these coins are (in my humble opinion) extremely hard to detect and this is the ONLY coin I would consider sending for grading - just to establish its authenticity.

On that basis it may be worth looking for one at a reputable auction house / dealer or purchase if ungraded.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Thanks for the replies, I completely agree with everyone's comments. RM are way over priced I really don't get how they come up with the pricing especially with there historical coins. They could make a killing if they lowered the prices. It's only I've got an account with them and can pay things off that I even consider buying from them.

I love all the pre 33 gold coins and eventually want to collect them all just see they had the 2.5 dollar in stock but couldn't justify the price and you guys just confirmed that for me as well. 

The RM historic coins in EF condition are probably in better condition than their own Proofs based on recent events ... :D

That aside, gold coins like this, at a more modest premium, make a nice change from gold stacking the usual Brits/similar.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

17 hours ago, Dan12345 said:

Hi all I'm very new to all this, would any of you guys buy this coin at thus price from the royal mint. I know they are a bit over priced than other places but you've not got to worry about fakes with them and I have an account so wouldn't have to pay it all in one go. So way to expensive or a decent investment 

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/historic-coins/commonwealth-and-world-coins/united-states-of-america/us-indian-head-gold-2.5-dollar-1908-1929-ef/

Almost any "Historic Coin" from the Royal Mint will be very expensive, as most TSF members would, and many have, told you.

Many years ago, the Royal Mint threatened to sue me/us for defamation for stating that one of their mintmark sovereign sets was a rip-off price. Their laywers incorrectly, and dishonestly, in my opinion, stated that rip-off implies dishonesty, which it of course does not. Needless to say, they did not proceed with any legal action. I suspect it was an attempt at using the law to inconvenience a competitor, using governement money to do so.

The Royal Mint used to be primarly engaged in producing UK and other coins. Now it is primarily a coin dealer.

The deal you linked would be good at about half the price. If the Mint, or its supplier, takes as much care in choosing "your" coin as it took matching the obverse and reverse photos, you shoulc certainly look elsewhere.

Also, in general, it is usually not great to take advantage of interest free credit. "Free credit" involves costs for its supplier. It is almost always better to shop elsewhere.

Before posting this, I looked on the @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer website, but couldn't find any USA $10, $5, or $2.5 gold eagles, halves and quarters. We probably have some, but not had time to grade them and add them to our stock system. As I am "working from home" today, I can't nip down to the bunker to take a look. Even if I could, I would probably need some help finding them because of our new super efficient bin location system! (It does work well for most other purposes) 🙂

Chards

19 hours ago, metallica73 said:

Way over priced for me.  Might as well order direct from Apmex in the US - £370 + shipping & customs fees reckon you could save £100

On apmex they go up to 549 dollars which is £400 plus the postage you would be saving about £100 

11 minutes ago, Dan12345 said:

On apmex they go up to 549 dollars which is £400 plus the postage you would be saving about £100 

This one is $510 for an AU (Ignore the stock pic... probably grades about the same as the one RM would send)

https://www.apmex.com/product/19079/1926-2-50-indian-gold-quarter-eagle-au

No VAT on importing investment gold.. only fee besides the shipping is possible customs fee but i've never got hit with that when using apmex.

Apmex know how to send goods too so you shouldn't get stung  you would just have to sign a form when contacted by HM customs to declare it as investment gold. Just don't mix silver/gold if you do order!

On 24/08/2021 at 15:21, LawrenceChard said:

Almost any "Historic Coin" from the Royal Mint will be very expensive, as most TSF members would, and many have, told you.

Many years ago, the Royal Mint threatened to sue me/us for defamation for stating that one of their mintmark sovereign sets was a rip-off price. Their laywers incorrectly, and dishonestly, in my opinion, stated that rip-off implies dishonesty, which it of course does not. Needless to say, they did not proceed with any legal action. I suspect it was an attempt at using the law to inconvenience a competitor, using governement money to do so.

The Royal Mint used to be primarly engaged in producing UK and other coins. Now it is primarily a coin dealer.

The deal you linked would be good at about half the price. If the Mint, or its supplier, takes as much care in choosing "your" coin as it took matching the obverse and reverse photos, you shoulc certainly look elsewhere.

Also, in general, it is usually not great to take advantage of interest free credit. "Free credit" involves costs for its supplier. It is almost always better to shop elsewhere.

Before posting this, I looked on the @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer website, but couldn't find any USA $10, $5, or $2.5 gold eagles, halves and quarters. We probably have some, but not had time to grade them and add them to our stock system. As I am "working from home" today, I can't nip down to the bunker to take a look. Even if I could, I would probably need some help finding them because of our new super efficient bin location system! (It does work well for most other purposes) 🙂

Classic tactic.  A very large company tried a very similar thing at a company I was involved a while ago.  

Paperwork delivered to my home address at 5pm on a Friday with lots of threats designed to keep me thinking about it all weekend.  I was well aware of this type of tactic and followed the Private eye example of Arkell vs. Pressdram on the Monday morning.

Did not hear from them after that.  

https://lettersofnote.com/2013/08/07/arkell-v-pressdram/

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 27/08/2021 at 08:41, RacerCool said:

It's one of the coins I'd love to get but I refuse to pay what they typically sell for, and wow, the RM is crazy for charging that much. (Get a 5 peso Mexican coin instead. Same gold content, way cheaper)

It's not crazy of the RM for asking that, just crazy of anyone to pay it, but...

I am sure many suckers people think "it's The Royal Mint, so I will be safe buying from them", or possibly "I'm buying it direct from the manufacturer, so it must be a good deal"

Chards

I was after one of those a while back and so I did an ebay search then saved it and set up notifications of any new listings. After a short while one came up, I paid less than £200 for it. 1908 and in exceptional condition. I have one piece of advice with regards to getting the coins you want it's, be patient! It always works for me, sooner or later an opportunity will arise.

1 hour ago, CosmikDebris said:

I was after one of those a while back and so I did an ebay search then saved it and set up notifications of any new listings. After a short while one came up, I paid less than £200 for it. 1908 and in exceptional condition. I have one piece of advice with regards to getting the coins you want it's, be patient! It always works for me, sooner or later an opportunity will arise.

I don't think I would trust buying one off eBay with all the fakes about 

3 minutes ago, Dan12345 said:

I don't think I would trust buying one off eBay with all the fakes about 

Personally I felt the same way, you just have to do the diligence. Check the sellers feedback, other items for sale and ask them questions about the items. Most of my pre 33 has come from ebay and has all been legitimate. I do take the extra measure of taking the item to my local jeweler who does a XRF test for £3. That also applies to everything I buy from here, which isn't much but is more than I have feedback for.