• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

3 2oz S1 lunar BU

Put in some bids on some overnight ebay auctions and won 3 at reasonable cost.

So these will go with the 2 I already have and so I guess I'm collecting them now;)

If anyone has any they are looking to sell............:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

5 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

I bought 2 raw from a German dealer and got 69 and 70 DCAMS so would be interested how much the 70 cost (in private PM if you wish to keep it hush hush) I actually paid £10 below the RM initial release price

TL;DR The coin I purchased above was $290 with free shipping.  I had $28.00 in eBay bucks bringing my final purchase price down to $262.

Thanks so much for the reply.  I certainly don't mind sharing and running through the calcs and thought process I used to determine why this was a decent buy for me.  Disclaimer...when I say "you" in my response, I just mean the generic "you".

The dealer I'd buy the Proofs from is Govmint.com.  They have them in stock for $99.95 with free shipping over $149.00.  If you've got your rabbit's foot, four-leaf clover and your fingers crossed and decided to buy just one to send in yourself for grading, shipping from Govmint.com is $9.95 bringing your coin purchase to $109.90.  As you did and as I had considered doing, I'd buy two and send them in.  At that point, your coin purchase is $199.90.  Grading for modern world coins with NGC is $17/coin.  

So let's say you buy one, send it in, your all in price (not including shipping to get it to NGC) is $126.90.  Should your coin come back PF69 then you would have been better off buying the same coin, same grade with the unique label like the one above (which I think is awesome) for $119.00 with free shipping from MCM. If the one coin came back PF70, well...bully for you and go buy a lotto ticket while you're at it.  Me, I'm a glass-half-empty person and with my luck, it'd be PF69.

If you bought two, your all in price (not including shipping to get the coins to NGC...which would be what, $5-$10?) is $233.90.  If you're lucky, you get two PF70s back and you can keep one or both but likely sell one and recoup your costs.  If you're unlucky, there's the chance you get two PF69s back and you still don't have the PF70 you wanted to add to your collection in the first place (so you either give up at that point or commit more of your resources and time to pursue the PF70). In my search of the PF70, I did notice the PF69s are in pretty abundant supply so you wouldn't be able to command a significant premium should you try to sell and start the PF70 quest anew.  You also could have purchased two of the MCM PF69s with the special labels unavailable to all but the bulk/dealer submitters for $238 with free shipping.  Again, glass-half-empty, I'd get two PF69s.  

The coin I purchased above was $290 with free shipping.  I had $28.00 in eBay bucks bringing my final purchase price down to $262.  So for me, it was worth spending an extra $29 to get the coin I want in the condition I want with the label I want.  I understand if you bought multiples and didn't get the result you wanted you could sell those and try again and potentially not be out any money but for $29, it's not worth the hassle (and for my collection, I don't want multiples in this series...I'm happy with my single PF70).  I also had a pretty difficult time even finding a PF70 for sale so the market right now if you wanted to go that route is slim pickin's.

So that's my logic, flawed or otherwise.  When the RM releases the Griffin proof (whenever that is this year), I plan to not be so indecisive this go-around and quickly snag a PF70 from MCM hoping they have the same special label with an image of the Griffin on it like the Lion above.

Edited by Jester

I follow your logic @Jester...as I also had the same thought process on the odds/costs of getting 70s from the Mint proofs (the long road via grading), and I did buy an MCM slabbed PF70 a few weeks ago - for $199, and I don't regret it one bit! To cover my bets I am also buying a few of the MInt proofs in the original boxes, on the idea that future collectors need to reach back to get the first proof in the series. Time (and mintages) will tell if that is a smart move or not! Completely agree that a 69 leaves you in limbo. 

Was also wondering about that special label on the slabs from NGC / MCM  - but I was thinking that maybe they stick with that background Lion image for the whole series .... had not thought about the idea that they switch the Beast every time. ?

8 minutes ago, Lindeman said:

I follow your logic @Jester...as I also had the same thought process on the odds/costs of getting 70s from the Mint proofs (the long road via grading), and I did buy an MCM slabbed PF70 a few weeks ago - for $199, and I don't regret it one bit! To cover my bets I am also buying a few of the MInt proofs in the original boxes, on the idea that future collectors need to reach back to get the first proof in the series. Time (and mintages) will tell if that is a smart move or not! Completely agree that a 69 leaves you in limbo. 

Was also wondering about that special label on the slabs from NGC / MCM  - but I was thinking that maybe they stick with that background Lion image for the whole series .... had not thought about the idea that they switch the Beast every time. ?

Would that not look amazing in a complete set to have all slabbed PF70 with the corresponding beast from the coin on the label? Purty!

34 minutes ago, Lindeman said:

Yup - current plan is to have MS70 gold quarter ounces and parallel 1 ounce PF70s for the whole set of QBs. With a tube of each 2 ounce bullion silver beasts for good measure.  Long way to go still though. 

It is a trip well worth taking!

1 hour ago, GoldBenj said:

A Hgm half shieldback sov this morning, am I the only one who loves the not knowing?

just before 9 am? thought about it but I've had a couple of bad ones recently. Will you be happy with a 1892?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

5 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

I thought you were poor? lol

I've never been poor...an out-of-control coin purchaser? Yes.  I'm trying to focus my purchases a bit more so that I'm able to spend more but less often...the whole quality versus quantity.  I'm probably done for the year with the exception of the '17 Silver QB Griffin Proof, the '17 Silver Britannia Proof and the '17 Silver Libertad 2 and 5 oz Proofs...huh, when I type that out it doesn't really come across as "done for the year" (oh well, maybe those offerings will be spaced out a bit at least).

1 minute ago, MickB said:

Pricey but nice.:)

I had it for a pretty okey price, i didn't pay the very high premiums like i see them a lot on Ebay. But i onderstand what you want to say. It's not cheap, but it's the proof of the first silver Krugerrand, so i see it as a nice collectors item which i will (normally ;)) not be selling quickly. 

On 14-4-2017 at 14:52, sovereignsteve said:

3 2oz S1 lunar BU

Put in some bids on some overnight ebay auctions and won 3 at reasonable cost.

So these will go with the 2 I already have and so I guess I'm collecting them now;)

If anyone has any they are looking to sell............:)

Let me guess. 

The 2 oz dog, goat and monkey ?