• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

why are you stacking still

craig12

this question has got me baffled since i started in 2013 ,cant remember how i started stacking but imstillhere ,maybe not buying as much as i have done over the years ,im trying to get to 250-300 oz this year,but when you boil it all down ,why have you bought into it ?

is it 

1 you firmly beleive it gets more year on year interest than your savings

2 you buy it to leave to your children and grandchildren

3 you beleive it will steeply rise because of the world money printing

4 you buy it to flip it on a regular basis

5 you can because you have spare money  and its instead of other luxuries 

6 you enjoy collecting 

Until very recently, precious metals and cash were my only assets. I had hoped for a significant rise in pms , more than what we have had the past 6 years I’ve been stacking. I do see pms moving upward but I’m not going to gamble most of what I have. I’m getting on a bit in years now and have diverted some monies into diversified index trackers, all within a private pension which HMRC adds a further 20% to. 
Not sold any of my stack yet and not sure if a will. Hope to get to where pms are 5 to 10% of net worth ( a lot higher than this currently)

Still think silver has more upside overall but having physical, it may be hard to capitalise if it’s a short term move. 

Short answer, pretty much stopped stacking now!

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

im 57 now ,and really never bought into the vat ,premiums, delivery charges  etc ,hence my slowdown in buying as i try and get the silver like the americans can buy it  so much over spot ,   spoke to a fabulous britannia stacker the other day who advised me on dates on britannias ,im sort of a different stacker now ,first 8 years lots of mistakes ,bought lots of wrong stuff for a organised stack ,  now im just concentrating on britts/eagles / 

I’m new to stacking but it’s for my kids, I believe that in the long run (20 years)  it will offer a bigger return than money in the bank but I also enjoy collecting, have something new to learn about. 

i said to my son last week  if you ever get any spare cash son and you dont want to spend it on dvd,s  real ale or fancy designer clothes ,buy 5 g of gold or a 10 oz silver bar ,  he said yeah dad but it seems a lot of money ........when i said he wasnt spending any money he was just swapping it into a different asset  the penny seemed to drop 💰

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I'm not anymore, I just come here for the lovely single ladies and the hairdressing tips :)

What grade r u? (Hair that is)😀

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I know too many people who have had bank accounts cloned wiped out by computer errors I ended up in a right mess because the bank dropped the 0 out of my postcode causing direct debits to stop card was blocked wages were rejected took me 6+ months to try and sort it and that was only because I moved to a different bank so now I have as little in the bank as possible and cash is too much of a headache plus I don't get a return on cash in the safe 

Currently buying for my newborn. I've always been big into  physical assets like  like anvils and Japanese motorbikes which always seem to hold value. I'm hoping it will give us something to collect together and to teach him about the power of assets. Many times great deals can be had via trade of two items rather than cash, in my experience at least.

You are missing an important reason - gold and silver are two of very few assets to get your savings to the backend of a crisis. If they also increase in value that's only a nice extra but the actual important thing is to avoid losses, on the eve of a gigantic economic crisis. Gold and silver are the safe havens of the safe havens that you should always try to have to some extent but even much more so, now.

5 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

You are missing an important reason - gold and silver are two of very few assets to get your savings to the backend of a crisis. If they also increase in value that's only a nice extra but the actual important thing is to avoid losses, on the eve of a gigantic economic crisis. Gold and silver are the safe havens of the safe havens that you should always try to have to some extent but even much more so, now.

I would throw in the caveat that the Gold and silver has to be in hand. This paper gold and silver/mining stocks business could potentially be the ruin of many people, sadly (or not).

I'm stacking for a mix of reasons.
Hedge against inflation, an extra income to dip into for retirement and hoping to pass some down as an inheritance.
Then there is always the issue of if it's not in the bank, they cant take it, especially when it's been lost in an unfortunate boating accident. :D 

My fella got me into stacking 4 years ago as a way of saving. At first I was unsure and didn't have a clue, but now I'm a whole hearted convert. And we both remember the 2008 crash when the banks shut....

This last year has really proven the value of using gold and silver as savings, we have earnt better interest than we would have done in the bank. And although its almost all gone (no thanks to covid and the lack of self employed help) we where able to save more then putting money into an account,  where it can easily be withdrawn and spent. 

Stacking has given me a confidence in saving that I never had before and it so nice to see all your hard work sat in a nice shiney pile. 

I buy silver 10oz bars for the lowest premiums, these are for investment purposes.  Silver coins are ones i like and a hobby, dont expect to earn much on them and the cash would grow more in an emerging market fund, but i like seeing Homer and Mickey Mouse’s face on them.  Then bullion Gold is my core store of my stack and makes up 80% of my PM’s by £ value.  

I went out yesterday and added another 100oz to the stack.
I almost feel guilty when I go to the coin shop and hand over my paper currency to get a real hard asset.
it's a hobby that doesn't (IMO) cost anything as I feel I'm just transferring currency into money.

Also, in these times it's a guard against the oncoming inflation and who knows... if these reddit / wall street bets kids start to buy physical metals then it could really turn out to be a great investment.
I'm a new member here, but enjoying the content. Thank you !

4 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

I buy silver 10oz bars for the lowest premiums, these are for investment purposes.  Silver coins are ones i like and a hobby, dont expect to earn much on them and the cash would grow more in an emerging market fund, but i like seeing Homer and Mickey Mouse’s face on them.  Then bullion Gold is my core store of my stack and makes up 80% of my PM’s by £ value.  

i remember buying 10 oz bars sunshine mint from atkinsons for around £159 ish  and full used soverigns were £196 oh the good days

On 27/01/2021 at 21:11, Robda1986 said:

I know too many people who have had bank accounts cloned wiped out by computer errors I ended up in a right mess because the bank dropped the 0 out of my postcode causing direct debits to stop card was blocked wages were rejected took me 6+ months to try and sort it and that was only because I moved to a different bank so now I have as little in the bank as possible and cash is too much of a headache plus I don't get a return on cash in the safe 

I remember 2018 TSB issues with system. I login once and had -£3500 pounds as a balance, all my online bank statements were gone. Memory of cold thrills at my back still makes me a little bit uncomfortable. I had no way to prove that I do not own them any money or that there should be couple grands over zero. That was wake up call, now only paper statements and not to much cash in bank account. If you do not hold it you do not own it. Money in the bank are not yours, you lend them to the bank and in SHTF scenario you will not get them. I stack for this feeling of safety, even that am aware it is illusion but helps me sleep better. 

On 28/01/2021 at 09:29, KDave said:

I stack in lieu of bonds. 70/30 stocks to metals.

Interesting.  I hadn't really thought about it being a substitute for bonds before, but I'm essentially doing the same thing.
I don't have much money in bonds - perhaps 2% of my investable wealth.  Metals perhaps 10%, with about 8% in cash and the remaining 80% in stocks.

Archived