• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

We are approaching the high of 2016 - i don't think this high will be any impediment to price moving ahead. There is so much turmoil in Westminster - the Government have lost a working majority - there will be a Bill to stop a no deal Brexit - a gaggle of Tory (traitors) will be deselected and lose the whip - the Government may put forward another Bill to lock in an election - the Government may even have a no confidence vote in itself. So many twists and turns which could propel Sterling down and metals up.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

12 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

I NO NOWT! - Don't SELL! - - "EXCHANGE" - use the GSR!!!

But wot duz aye no!??

with the benefit of hindsight...

I would buy gold when the gsr is high.

sell both gold and silver when the gsr is low

(ie currency outperforms both following a

low gsr)

is exchanging swapping out one losing trade

for another?

HH

Edited by HawkHybrid

The GSR is a good indicator, when its low the metals are expensive and when its high the metals are cheap.

I am sure it is possible to examine the lows and tops in metals, and compare strategies;

1. Accumulate silver when GSR is high, swap for gold when GSR is low, hold gold.

2. Accumulate both metals when GSR is high, sell both when GSR is low, hold cash.

Work out who is best off at the next high in GSR.

Edited by KDave

2 minutes ago, KDave said:

The GSR is a good indicator, when its low the metals are expensive and when its high the metals are cheap.

I am sure it is possible to examine the lows and tops in metals, and compare strategies;

1. Accumulate silver when GSR is high, swap for gold when GSR is low, hold gold.

2. Accumulate both metals when GSR is high, sell both when GSR is low, hold cash.

Work out who is best off at the next high in GSR.

In a "nutshell" HELL YEAH!

5 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

In a "nutshell" HELL YEAH!

You think it best to hold the gold? I am going to have to go and work it out, because my strategy was to sell at the next top and buy something else undervalued, probably stocks, then come back heavy into metals when the GSR had sorted its self out. 

45 minutes ago, KDave said:

You think it best to hold the gold? I am going to have to go and work it out, because my strategy was to sell at the next top and buy something else undervalued, probably stocks, then come back heavy into metals when the GSR had sorted its self out. 

I AM NOT AN EXPERT! so the following is just my opinion - @KDave - but having been retired at 56 on the basis of the fact that the way I have run, "MYSELF" - my pension's and investments

I have been quite adept at digging a little deeper than the average person and thinking "outside" of the box!

BY way of an example using "metaphoric figures"

I bought  over the last 3 years Silver at increasing proportions as the GSR was increasing!  i

Irrespective of "£" price - at 91 GSR = 91 ounce of silver @ X£ = 1 ounce Gold @X£ 

when GSR gets down (to as close as I think it may ) around 50 or below 

THEN for 91- I paid X£ now that the ratio "creates" gold at roughly 50% of the £/cost average of my Silver

ergo 2:1 - exchange Silver for Gold  - only at fair valuations = = = for every ounce of gold - - "I GET ONE FREE"

Please don't take this personally (anyone)

"BOGOF"

simple use of variation mathematics - - "simultaneous equation"

BUTT wot DUZ aye NO!!!

Edited by 5huggy

here's my gsr maths.(with hindsight)

from the 2011 highs gsr is low.

holders of gold until dec 2015 retained 1050/1900

or 55% of their fiat gold value.

silver holders retained 14/50 or 28% of their fiat

silver value.

those who sold gold and silver for currency in 2011

retained 100% of their fiat currency value.

ie both gold and silver are miserable holds from

the tops(low gsr).

currency beats both(from 2011-2015) and we're not

talking small percentages either.

it cost people 45% of their fiat value holdings when

they thought they were playing it safe with only

holding gold. they couldn't recognise that fiat

paper holdings would beat both gold and silver over

a four year time frame.(contrary to what metals

pumpers tell you)

with hindsight what should I be holding from a low

gsr?

we don't know when the next top is, but we can

keep on practising and trying to improve.

HH

Comes back to the age old question..... what is the GSR?           Just off the charts?   What a normal person off the streets can buy for? Or what a person off the streets can sell for?      That will give you 3 hugely different figures in the U.K. and 3 different figures in US......... 

Looks like best thing to do is wait for GSR to be in a trend higher, then start buying once high, keep buying until it reverses and sets a trend lower, then hold as it does so, sell when GSR is reaching historic lows.

Keep doing that over a lifetime and you will be far better off than exchanging one metal for the other. They are linked together so I am told, although I don't really believe it applies all the time. 

16 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Comes back to the age old question..... what is the GSR?           Just off the charts?   What a normal person off the streets can buy for? Or what a person off the streets can sell for?      That will give you 3 hugely different figures in the U.K. and 3 different figures in US......... 

this is not so important for people who use the

gsr as an indicator(the intention is to not

actually swap gold with silver). the numbers

may change but it's the relative strength in

the numbers that counts.

think of it like the £ value changes continuously

with inflation etc. but it's never stopped people

from trading with £'s.

HH 

Edited by HawkHybrid

3 minutes ago, MrStacker said:

I'm curious to know are my fellow stackers still purchasing silver at the current rate? I'm limiting my silver purchases for now only really picking out items that I really like to add for my collection.

I bought a 2020 1kg elephant and gone up €70 in a week even before it’s landed.     I’ll take that

2 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

this not so important for people who use the

gsr as an indicator(the intention is to not

actually swap gold with silver). the numbers

may change but it's the relative strength in

the numbers that counts.

think of it like the £ value changes continuously

with inflation etc. but it's never stopped people

from trading with £'s.

HH 

I’m Only plucked figures out the air but if someone is advised the gsr is 83-1 so swap gold for silver but in reality it’s say 45-1 because you have to buy silver from a dealer with a 10% premium then when it goes to sell back they will only pay 85/90% spot to are potentially losing 20% of your money in dealer charges.    This is my outlook on it

9 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

gsr is 83-1 so swap gold for silver but in reality it’s say 45-1

both figures are indicating the same thing.

let's assume the paper gsr of 83-1 was a gsr

high.

at the same moment the 45-1 physical gsr

would be close enough to it's high. ie it's the

best deal you're going to get.

the numbers are different but the fact that

you should be buying silver at that point

remains the same. which method you choose

to hold your silver is down to your individual

strategy.

(in practice it's more difficult to turn a profit

on physical silver as the numbers are tight

when compared to paper. another thing

metal pumpers won't admit to)

HH

Edited by HawkHybrid

1 minute ago, HawkHybrid said:

both figures are indicating the same thing.

let's assume the paper gsr of 83-1 was a gsr

high.

at the same moment the 45-1 physical gsr

would be close enough to it's high. ie it's the

best deal you're going to get.

the numbers are different but the fact that

you should be buying silver at that point

remains the same. which method you choose

to hold your silver is down to your individual

strategy.

HH

Got you,    I thought you were meaning to sell your gold to buy silver.     Then when it went the other way to sell silver and buy the gold back

21 hours ago, MrStacker said:

I'm curious to know are my fellow stackers still purchasing silver at the current rate? I'm limiting my silver purchases for now only really picking out items that I really like to add for my collection.

For me yes, but only my small regular purchases every month or two. I have not bought any gold this year.i will probably continue to buy silver  as long as the spot does not go over £17  per once. At this point I will hold and watch.