• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Possibly just a kneejerk from the FOMC committee meeting report that suggested a US interest rate rise sooner rather than later. Will be interesting to see how the metals go over the next couple of days.

How long are people going to fall for the Fed Jedi mind trick, they are never going to risk what happened at the beginning of the year happening again near the Presidential election.

12 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Possibly just a kneejerk from the FOMC committee meeting report that suggested a US interest rate rise sooner rather than later. Will be interesting to see how the metals go over the next couple of days.

Yes, it's all smoke and mirrors. The Fed will not raise rates other than to save face and be able to say "we said we were going to raise rates, and therefore we're raising them."

It does, however, give the market players a narrative to follow and for gold to move lower over the short term while the "possibility" is still on the table. My guess is that commodities will move lower into the June FOMC and then whatever they do, it will bottom around that time. If the Fed does end up tacking on a quarter point then that will be it, not only for this year but for this entire economic cycle. 

1 hour ago, vand said:

Yes, it's all smoke and mirrors. The Fed will not raise rates other than to save face and be able to say "we said we were going to raise rates, and therefore we're raising them."

Yes that's the issue really, they have backed themselves into a corner and really have to act at some point or they will lose any shred of credibility they still think they have.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

General PM selloff and a stronger GBP has seen silver back in my buying range.

Spot current at £11.15 and Celticgold have 2015 Maples @ 16% over. Complete no brainer - pulled the trigger. One of my cheapest batches ever. Very happy to secure more oz at such a low price.

Edited by vand

The US  won't raise the rate until after the Brits decide what happens with the EU, so that's july at the earliest.

If we leave the EU silver will be significantly more expensive in the short  term whatever the spot price or the Fed do due to the knee jerk falling all the £ .

The only question is how long will this weak £  last  before recivery?

I need to buy a little more silver and maybe gold before June 23rd

The £ bottomed in April and has been strengthening ever since. I therefore can not believe that brexit has anything to do with the strength of the pound, and do not think the UK will be on the losing side if we leave. You are right that silver will be significantly more expensive, but only because we will no longer be able to take advantage of the reduced VAT, not because the pound will be weaker.

The Euro will be the loser in the case of Britain leaving as it is a net contributor. The project will be a few hundred million short for its annual budget which will do nothing to support confidence in either the Euro or the future sustainability of the project itself without some tough times for the remaining members.

I agree the EU well be weaker,  I still think the pound will go down more immediately after the referendum ... Don't underestimate the fear in our financial professionals Look at 911 everything went south incl  ft100 losing half it's value which is billions and why? It was horific and discusting but no economic reason  for the reaction....basically 5000 people were murdered a building came down and three places crashed.

The initial drop in £ was for the idea of the referendum, there will be another drop if we vote out ( short term at least)

We won't lose vat free silver for 2 years either

Edited by 4Nines7Hills

The markets have long moved on from the Brexit question and have clearly written off the chances of a "leave" decision (rightly, in my view).  The bookies have been slashing their 'stay' odd for the last few weeks - the result will be a very convincing "stay". 

I personally think that UK and EU with BOTH lose if we vote leave. Why? Because free trade is MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL. If you erect walls that make trade more difficult then everyone loses. Trade is one thing that ALL economists understand and agree benefits both sides. Remember this truism when you hear some news that countries want trade embargoes imposed on a particular country or for eg, China to boycott trade with Iran... Why is it in China's interest to trade less with Iran? It's in both their interests that trade between them happens, and if that is true (as it must be) then less trade between them will hurt them both, not just Iran. 

Anyway, the Brexit question was the tail wagging the dog. GBP/USD is usually driven by The USD daily and weekly cycles. The short term USD bounce should be topping around now, and I would expect further dollar weakness over the summer to drive both PMs and GBP higher.

1 hour ago, vand said:

The bookies have been slashing their 'stay' odd for the last few weeks

Not sure which bookies you've been looking at, but the stay odds have been drifting quite a bit in the last few days.

Betfair was down to 1/5 for a remain, now it's around 1/3. Leave was 5/1, now its down to around 11/4

1 hour ago, vand said:

I personally think that UK and EU with BOTH lose if we vote leave. Why? Because free trade is MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL. If you erect walls that make trade more difficult then everyone loses.

I think you are missing the point regarding leaving the EU. The UK would NOT be erecting any walls. In fact leaving would enable us to dismantle the walls put up by the EU with the rest of the world outside of the EU. The UK is more than happy to trade freely with the EU, we just don't want to put up with daft unworkable rules, created by unelected officials, and then having to pay for all of it. We can trade freely with the EU, without filling the pockets of Brussels, and we would be able to trade freely with the rest of the world.

I can remember a time when our shops were full of cheap New Zealand lamb and butter, with adverts for these products on our TV every day. The EU put a stop to that. I can remember the "Buy British" campaigns, but the EU said Non to that. The French farmers burn a few tyres, block a few roads and they get massive subsidies and we end up paying more for goods

I can remember our fishermen having one of the greatest fleets in the world, and our seas being full of Cod, Herring, etc. But the the EU allowed the Spanish to raid our waters with their factory ships, (Drake would be spinning in his grave), and our fishing fleet is decimated and is now a shadow of what it was.  

I can remember the butter mountains and grain stockpiles caused by the Common agricultural policy, that actually raised food prices, and stopped developing countries from selling cheap food to us.

Was all this MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL for us..................do me a favour. 

As for trade embargoes, I'm not sure you've realised this, but they have NOTHING to do with economics, and are political measures to put pressure on countries whose policies have an adverse effect on their neighbours and the rest of the world.   

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 18:37, DRooster said:

mandate to join the eurozone in the near future

Maybe we should have a sweepstake as to when the nominated value on Brits changes from £ to Euro's. If we don't escape obviously. 2022?

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Poised to breach the £12 mark again?

Almost certainly will take out £12 and I wouldn't be surprised to see £14+ in the coming weeks. We had 4 weeks of correction and now if we have started a new daily cycle then it is still very early into the cycle. 

Then its all wiped out by the PPM utilisation of the Gold to Silver ratio, PPM pushed it Up and then Pushes it Down. Oh look, the Dow was up, what a shock....really it was down this morning when Gold and Silver were flying high. Batteries, I'll call Paper Gold and Silver the Duracell Metals from now on.

Edited by shemyaza

No, it's tanked because I put an order in last night at yesterday's money. Thank heavens it was done after midnight here, because it was still cancelable when I got up this morning to the new price.

Edited by StinkyLebinowitz

I like to buy when there's a bit of a selloff, but frankly once I've hit that "confirm" button and the order has gone through, I don't really care if the price goes up or down a few percent either way. It's difficult to catch the bottom, so what normally happens is that I'll buy it when it's tanking and the price will fall a bit further, but then after all the selling is done it bounces back and makes further highs.