• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mail UK Special Delivery

MickD

Anyone else experiencing issues with Royal Mail UK Special Delivery?  That's five issues I've had now in the space of a few weeks, where the item doesn't turn up the next day.

2 minutes ago, MickD said:

Anyone else experiencing issues with Royal Mail UK Special Delivery?  That's five issues I've had now in the space of a few weeks, where the item doesn't turn up the next day.

I have had a few, but not that many recently. 

You can claim the postage back on anything that is outside the guaranteed time, think of it as free postage!

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/325/~/how-to-make-a-claim

On a side note, I have a claim ongoing for an international parcel, literally just been on hold for 45 minutes to the Royal Mail customer services line and no answer.......I gave up......

Emailing them now, 3 days to get back to me......

Bunch of chuckleheads they all are. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Wow that's a lot of problems, sounds like it must be local to you unfortunately, but as BYB says it's free postage once you claim it back (or however you decide to split it with the sender/receiver).

Never had a problem with them. Our local post girl stopped me in the street this morning, “Tony I’ve a package for you” I signed (squiggled) on the pad and she gave me the package.

No problems on my part.

At about 4pm on the scheduled day of delivery ( 3 hours late ) i called them ( 0345 774 0740 ) and gave them the tracking number, they checked and found the parcel was still showing en - route so they agreed the refund immediately. I received the cheque a week later.

2 minutes ago, Fivepoundfred said:

At about 4pm on the scheduled day of delivery ( 3 hours late ) i called them ( 0345 774 0740 ) and gave them the tracking number, they checked and found the parcel was still showing en - route so they agreed the refund immediately. I received the cheque a week later.

How long were you on hold.....I spent 45 minutes today and lost the will to live.....I gave up in the end. 

@Tn21 This is how you claim online. 

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/325/~/how-to-make-a-claim

1 minute ago, Fivepoundfred said:

I was only waiting for a few minutes before getting through, i think the menu option i took was missing or late parcels / letters or something similar.

Same with me 😞 

38 minutes ago, Fivepoundfred said:

A couple of weeks ago I posted a next day by 1pm that took two days, I called Royal mail and they sent me a refund cheque.

That seems very archaic, it will be so much more convenient when we are microchipped and it's downloaded instantly :)

:ph34r:

I am 1 if 5 recieving a package, I should have recieved it today, but the RM messed up. 

It's travelled to Edinburgh,  Sheffield,  then to Edinburgh and is back at Sheffield. 

Honestly it's a joke. But I feel horrible... how much fuel this parcel is using???? 

I know what you mean about the alternatives.  If I see a seller using a courier, it puts me off a bit.  My own experience of receiving mail from RM has been positive and my posties over the years have been great.  Gets a little disconcerting though when an item you've sent is doing a tour of the UK.  Having said that, I don't give a monkeys if I have to wait a couple of days for a parcel, I'm sure most people here don't.  The main reason I use special delivery is for the insurance.  Hopefully my two out-standings will arrive tomorrow.

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

I have to say while I know we are very lucky here living near a major sorting office, our on the ground posties are absolutely great, cannot fault them at all, their service is brilliant.

Cant agree more. 

All my regular posties have been bang on. Only ever had to chase one ( stand in ) who was a " light knocking card poster " ( never knocked )

1 hour ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Just a pity that in the UK, it is just about impossible to send coins overseas and get insurance..surely a market there for someone!

It's not just overseas, everyone has an obsession about not insuring coins full stop. Even within the Uk, except special delivery, which is total overkill for a cheap 1oz silver coin etc.

I just don't see the difference; as long as a package isn't labelled "I am a coin, please steal me", why shouldn't coins be insured alongside everything else? It has a certain value that doesn't change just because of what it is.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

5 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

It's not just overseas, everyone has an obsession about not insuring coins full stop. Even within the Uk, except special delivery, which is total overkill for a cheap 1oz silver coin etc.

I just don't see the difference; as long as a package isn't labelled "I am a coin, please steal me", why shouldn't coins be insured alongside everything else? It has a certain value that doesn't change just because of what it is.

Very good point

24 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

My guess is they want to limit their liability when it comes to items that people would want to steal that can also be stolen easily. I agree though, it is a shame they don't have something more sensible for single or even two or three 1oz coins. I don't bother with special delivery until I get up to 5 or 6 ounces or so. I know it is a risk but I think my long term expenses would be bigger if I had everything sent SD.

As for the original topic - its been a couple weeks since the last SD item arrived but it has been arriving fine. Thankfully the delivery office sends around a different postie these days to get the SD items out in time. I should be receiving my part of the group order soon so hopefully they still have a dedicated postie for the SD service. Regular post on the other hand seems to be a nightmare. The amount of mis-deliveries is laughable especially as there seems to be two posties now doing the round together. It is becoming afternoon ritual for the neighbourhood residents to go around dropping letters in the right mail boxes. Such a shambles

5 hours ago, MickD said:

Yes, most of the time! I’ve ordered items SD and second class delivery from the Royal Mail. Second class delivery usually comes first which leaves me wondering what’s the point paying extra for SD when it arrives late with unconvincing apologies from the Royal Mail. It’s understandable why one of my world-renowned bullion dealers doesn’t use the Royal Mail at all but another mail service. I once had an argument over the phone with another bullion dealer who was trying hard to persuade me to use Royal Mail SD. I went for the cheaper option of second class delivery and the bullion items arrived the next day! Oh, yes, I forgot to mention how a parcel arrived with a finger-sized hole! Fortunately, the bullion item I ordered was an empty coin tube. However, I agree with what someone said that major problems only arise when you start using the Royal Mail regularly. 

11 hours ago, Serendipity said:

Yes, most of the time! I’ve ordered items SD and second class delivery from the Royal Mail. Second class delivery usually comes first which leaves me wondering what’s the point paying extra for SD when it arrives late with unconvincing apologies from the Royal Mail. It’s understandable why one of my world-renowned bullion dealers doesn’t use the Royal Mail at all but another mail service. I once had an argument over the phone with another bullion dealer who was trying hard to persuade me to use Royal Mail SD. I went for the cheaper option of second class delivery and the bullion items arrived the next day! Oh, yes, I forgot to mention how a parcel arrived with a finger-sized hole! Fortunately, the bullion item I ordered was an empty coin tube. However, I agree with what someone said that major problems only arise when you start using the Royal Mail regularly. 

Lucky you, I send 6 oz coins in 1st class and only empty envelope arrived, no compensation will be given for PM in any other service than Special Delivery. So I lost 100 quids. Remember that for compensation for lost/damaged item you have to have sale or purchase proof. 

Archived