• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

• 1 month later...

@sovereignsteve I'd be more than happy to help.  I'm fortunate enough to see quite a few.  Also I'd love to see a DNA (so to speak)  data base of sovereigns tested for alloy type.  You only have to see some sovereigns in the flesh and you know they have a slightly different alloy ratio.  

I also find die breaks interesting, I have a few sovs with almost identical breaks so possibly a database of die breaks while we are at it.  Would be good to estimate where about in the lifetime the dies were in when the coins were stuck (even identify die sets)    I've got a mega 1876 that has to be one of the first coins stuck on a new die set.  Seen loads of 1871 with very similar die breaks.  

I don't want much 

• 3 weeks later...

Today we have a continuation on the theme on one of my previous posts on this threads around Australian Half Sovereigns.

Todays coin is Sydney 1883 Half Sovereign (Marsh 467). This is a coin that I think is less common than indicated in Marsh (but this is my own subjective view).  Marsh has a mintage of 220k and a has a rating of N

I would appreciate views on the following:

(1) Firstly there appears to be A over something?

(2) Another 1 for I in REGINA (See previous post on a London Half Sov of 1880 with an identical presentation).  

• I now have three examples of the 1 for I / Broken Serif on different Half Sovs - all of which present in the same way (1880-S Half, 1883-S Half and a 1880-L Half).  Admittedly, I did go out to obtain this particular variant and am looking for more examples.
  • So what might be happening here?
    • Fundamental weakness that affected dies and caused the same problem across years and across mints (The dies originated from London of course)
    • There was an error present on a master / Hub that was then used to create some of the dies which were used in London and shipped to Sydney? 

I have not seen this on any Halves outside of the range of 1880 > 1883 and only on London and Sydney minted halves.

Thoughts?

Best

Dicker

image.png.0c5c82432e2a9f4e95b68783990cc273.png

image.png.9efbcca7428de7f98366c110d85fea23.png

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 2 months later...

@Foster88 would be good to see the full coin, sometimes if the picture has been taken even at a very slight angle can look like un barred A’s, there does look like a small section of the bar is there on both A’s Very interesting coin. 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

I just bought this 1879 M Sovereign. I thought it could be the mid tail variety but I’m not quite sure. The second dot in B.P. looks  a little bit bigger than the first one. What do you think? Would it be worth grading?

29C8657A-DA2F-4435-AA10-8B9DF66BB976.jpeg

On 04/02/2022 at 14:29, dicker said:

1879 M St George

I think this is a G over a C - although there is more going on here than just that with the extra serif under the bar of the G.

Thoughts?

Best

Dicker

1356598160_1874M.jpg.ce6062f7a3fd17092df698c67273fe7f.jpg

G in GRA, or C in VICTORIA?

Probably needs a full coin photo to show where it is.

Ah, just seen it above, the G in REG.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards