• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Liquidity: Have 1oz coins had their day?

I've been thinking long and hard about which bullion is best to invest in for the long-term (say for the next 10-20, possibly 30 years). It's really tempting looking at these nice and large shiny 1oz 24 carat gold coins like Britannias, Queen's/Tudor Beasts (maybe not the Kruggerands), etc and it makes sense in many ways because the premium is so low, but I do wonder if I'd be making a rod for my back when it comes to cashing in said investments when I'm old and grey. 1oz coins are currently in the region of £1640+ and set only to increase if the current trend in gold continues. When/if they reach the £2000+ mark will it still be so tempting to buy them and will they lose the liquidity they currently have if you want to shift a few at once. Yes you may still be able to take a hit and sell to dealers but losing a good percentage of potential returns on an investment doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

It does look like full sovereigns and 1/4oz gold coins have the current 'sweet spot' but I wonder if coins like double sovereigns and 1/2oz Britannias are the new 1oz coins (sic) and would be a better investment in terms of realising your assets a couple of decades down the road. 🤔

Edited by Kitalon

Whilst I don’t own any (yet) I still think 1oz coins and low premiums make sense but if I do venture in to the 1oz gold market, it’ll likely be with a different exit strategy. Sovs that I end up selling will be peer 2 peer whilst I’d likely shift full ounce coins direct to dealers (just like Quantumstacker did the other day with his Brits I believe)

1 hour ago, Kitalon said:

I've been thinking long and hard about which bullion is best to invest in for the long-term (say for the next 10-20, possibly 30 years). It's really tempting looking at these nice and large shiny 1oz 24 carat gold coins like Britannias, Queen's/Tudor Beasts (maybe not the Kruggerands), etc and it makes sense in many ways because the premium is so low, but I do wonder if I'd be making a rod for my back when it comes to cashing in said investments when I'm old and grey. 1oz coins are currently in the region of £1640+ and set only to increase if the current trend in gold continues. When/if they reach the £2000+ mark will it still be so tempting to buy them and will they lose the liquidity they currently have if you want to shift a few at once. Yes you may still be able to take a hit and sell to dealers but losing a good percentage of potential returns on an investment doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

It does look like full sovereigns and 1/4oz gold coins have the current 'sweet spot' but I wonder if coins like double sovereigns and 1/2oz Britannias are new new 1oz coins (sic) and would be a better investment in terms of realising your assets a couple of decades down the road. 🤔

Can I ask why? As in why gold for 30 years? 

Not a trick question many collect for different reasons. Just curious because if it's retirement then there maybe faster horses. 

25 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Whilst I don’t own any (yet) I still think 1oz coins and low premiums make sense but if I do venture in to the 1oz gold market, it’ll likely be with a different exit strategy. Sovs that I end up selling will be peer 2 peer whilst I’d likely shift full ounce coins direct to dealers (just like Quantumstacker did the other day with his Brits I believe)

You maybe making the mistake of judging the market too closely to the limited prism of sales which happen here?

I bought a number of 1oz Krugs from a member here who thought a crash was imminent late last year, they all re-sold within a week without problem elsewhere.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

I'm less concerned about how things are right now and more interested about how it might turn out in the future with regard to the liquidity of larger amounts bullion in general. I understand that assets can always be liquidated though dealers below spot if necessary. I'm just wondering about how the increasing value of larger items (such a 1oz of gold) may continue to perform in private markets.

It's not inconceivable that we could see prices of 1oz Britannias reach £2000+, and sovereigns have a spot price of £500. How long it takes to reach that stage I cannot say, it may not of course, it could plateau or even drop. But given the current trend it seem that gold will continue to increase (yes, as currency is devalued).

I suppose what I'm looking at is a long-term exit strategy that offers the best returns and not wishing to commit to sizes of bullion that become harder to shift in time as the relative value of gold increases. This is working along the lines of seeing if gold can work both as a hedge against inflation and a store of wealth as well as a long term investment that potentially has better returns than only keeping money in savings. Of course there are better methods of investment which can yield higher returns but this way seems more fun. :)

P.S If someone can tell me how to get into these Facebook groups please ping me a message. I've already scouted out all my local sources in town (and found where I can buy sovereigns for about 5%) but I'd like to know more about these online marketplaces too.

Yes they have serious liquidity problems. I'll recycle your 1oz for 90% of spot and spare you the misery

17 minutes ago, Ted1945 said:

speaking from experience

When you get old you’ll appreciate the bigger coins 

easier to see the detail of the designs and find  them

that is of course if you can remember where you put them in the first place 

On the riverbed where that boat wreck is?

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

I like the best of both worlds. I lean more towards sovereigns. I guess you can look at it this way: quick and easy liquidity = sovereigns make sense. Long term wealth preservation and benefit from better overall prices = 1oz big boys

CGT only coins is very important as well. Dealers you can sell 1oz and sovs you will have several avenues to sell much more easily instead of the stealers dealers.

Yes I also agree with whatever floats your boats. You have to love it or enjoy what you are stacking or collecting. 😇

4 hours ago, Abyss said:

But in the end have you ever held a 1 oz Gold coin

I have not. It's only 2 months since I first saw a sovereign, let alone knew what it was or how to identify one. I now have 1 sovereign and 1 1/4 oz gold coin for comparison. Ironically I've touched neither because they're proof coins. Sigh! I suppose I'll just have to buy a 1oz coin now just to find out what all the fuss is about. 😄

22 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Chards are doing random date Brits pretty reasonably 

image.thumb.png.c19bccc60fa4bd9c3de6bfd0712a3a49.png

Thank you. That is a good price. But alas I'm trying not to get distracted by shiny things and be objective in my market research. I have my eye on a couple of specific double sovereigns for slightly less. I will build up to it and get at least 1 1oz Britannia in due course (although I do prefer the look of the current Tudor Beasts - it's a pity you can get them in 1/2oz tbh).

6 hours ago, Kitalon said:

1oz coins are currently in the region of £1640+ and set only to increase if the current trend in gold continues. When/if they reach the £2000+ mark will it still be so tempting to buy them and will they lose the liquidity they currently have if you want to shift a few at once.

I expect people were thinking the same thing when 1oz coins were £500 😉