• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Liquidity: Have 1oz coins had their day?

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

Pains me to say but this should be pinned for all newcomers. 

james , ( if i call you buy your first name - it means im being serious ,      i dont understand what you mean, thanks , regards ashley

2 minutes ago, Gunnerwood said:

Essentially it preserves the value. £1000 May only be worth £7-800 in a year or 2 but in that time £1000 worth of gold will appreciate and keep in line with inflation. If not better. It’s a great analogy IMO

thanks for the reply ,   so , no point having a savings account , maybe  buy the gold , instead , and just wait it out ,

8 minutes ago, Gunnerwood said:

Perhaps not put all your eggs in one basket but it shows the value of gold. Look at the interest rate in savings accounts over last few years. What you have invested there and then compare if you had the same amount in gold and bought x amount the time years ago how much the price has increased and thus your profit. 

now that i understand , about the savings account , waste of time ,  and will probably lose and be worth less ,   thanks 

2 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

If you think your coins are too big, here's some medieval wisdom

Cut Halfpenny and Farthing.jpg

hacksaw is your friend?

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

These Political clowns we keep voting for are getting desperate as the fiat system is failing. The motorist is an obvious target. They are now starting to search dustbins to make sure the right rubbish goes into the correct bin otherwise a large fine ( surprise ) . Weeds are 12 foot high in the summer. Pensions unaffordable but elections to be won .. We can go on and on.  My point is someone with a large stash of newly minted 1oz 24kt coins may as well have a large X on their backs.... on the other hand that guy with a collection of very old Queen Vics is just an old eccentric coin  collector ? Just a thought?

Edited by pricha

3 minutes ago, pricha said:

These Political clowns we keep voting for are getting desperate as the fiat system is failing. The motorist is an obvious target. They are now starting to search dustbins to make sure the right rubbish goes into the correct bin otherwise a large fine ( surprise ) . Weeds are 12 foot high in the summer. Pensions unaffordable but elections to be won .. We can go on and on.  My point is someone with a large stash of newly minted 1oz 24kt coins may as well have a large X on their backs.... on the other hand that guy with a collection of very old Queen Vics is just an old eccentric coin  collector ? Just a thought?

yes  pricha , now your talking- if the truth be told👍

1 minute ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

There is a place for everything. The way I see there is a place for gold, a place for physical cash and a place for a saving account.

For example, you need an emergency fund in case terrible hit the fun and you need them NOW, do you want to have it in gold? How quickly could you convert it? And when do you intend of using those funds? Is that something to save for your retirement or is it for a project in the next 6/12/18 months? Could you maybe get a better return in the short term just by shoving them in a saving account and save yourself the aggrievance of looking for gold for a good price, having it shipped and having to resell it a year down the line?

There isn't a magic answer, we all have different requirements, only you can find out how to match yours.

The best solution I can offer is to stop overthinking, deal with it one step at the time and tailor the plan as you go along.

This 👆🏼

10 minutes ago, pricha said:

And don't forget the pot holes! I was thinking what if you put the price of a Tesla into gold instead, that wouldn't be a bad direction to take. But yes I'm totally with you about the eccentric coin collector, except it's £25 proof commemoratives within 10% of spot for this one. 😉 Of couse I would love a 1 oz coin, who wouldn't right now, be mad not to. I will most definitely get the 2023 KCIII Cornonation Cyper 1oz BU and 1/4 ozs as well.  Quarters seem to make more sense to me for the longer term liquidity, plus it's easlier to add up the ounces. Now, I just need to get a pirates chest to put all my treasure in to. 😆

I believe in having 3-6 months worth of basic expenses in cash or cash equivalents.

Failing to have this buffer will force you to sell PMs at a loss, even avoid interesting opportunities because you feel short-term insecurity.

Build the buffer first, have basic necessities at hand if SHTF, PMs come afterwards..

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

21 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

Anyone with valuable assets that they advertise may as well have a large X on their back.

Privacy is essential if the parasites are to be kept at bay.

I think it is a very serious point. Also highlighed by the Backing Up the Lorry thread. Crime is rising! People are getting mugged in their cars outside jewellers, coin shops are getting ram raied, personal homes are being broken in to. We shouldn't be complaicant about such things. My first rule in owning gold is 'Never talk about gold!' (except anonymously in forums of course).

4 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

...My first rule in owning gold is 'Never talk about gold!' (except anonymously in forums of course).

Pseudo-anonymously

7 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

sounds like everyone knows what they are talking about

sounds like "every ones making it big but me "   1st one to name the band , fenlander will give a 1ounce yellow queens freak coin to the winner😀

You been smoking again

43 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

There is a place for everything. The way I see there is a place for gold, a place for physical cash and a place for a saving account.

For example, you need an emergency fund in case terrible hit the fun and you need them NOW, do you want to have it in gold? How quickly could you convert it? And when do you intend of using those funds? Is that something to save for your retirement or is it for a project in the next 6/12/18 months? Could you maybe get a better return in the short term just by shoving them in a saving account and save yourself the aggrievance of looking for gold for a good price, having it shipped and having to resell it a year down the line?

There isn't a magic answer, we all have different requirements, only you can find out how to match yours.

The best solution I can offer is to stop overthinking, deal with it one step at the time and tailor the plan as you go along.

You seem to know your stuff. 

Are trusts still a thing or are they a old fashioned concept? I need to look into something with some exposure to metals but no physical.