• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold stacker

mr-dead

Twizy - gotta admire those gold Libertads ! Big fan, but like mr dead, have not yet got any of those beauties. Hopefully it's easier to source them from Florida than here in UK. I have got the parallel 7 coin Lib proofs in silver, which are great too ....so I need the gold set to compare and contrast! Thanks for sharing that picture.

Thanks it is not easy obtaining these things in the UK. Some find their way from Germany and this makes it slightly easier but I have found Americans generally reluctant to send goods out of America. There seems to be a lack of understanding of the world outside America and a belief that the process of filling in a customs declaration is in somehow difficult.

I have found the process of buying gold Libertads fairly hit and miss. The protection provided by the mint for the BU gold Libertads is completely insufficient and I have had several coins with scuffs and rim damage delivered from Germany and France. The coins are 999 and thus very soft and prone to damage.

A couple of months ago I bought a 1/20th 2014 BU from a dealer in Germany and I sent it to NGC for grading. It arrived back with a purple label and a note saying rim damage.

a0ad8818a11f5ac7c770730aeb275a8f.jpg

1b351f3b2faea38790794055c79a12a6.jpg

Now I am much more careful to inspect each coin carefully.

c723a3148503d6205767e1bcea995d81.jpg

b950f7d075b173ecdce7c91a776cf444.jpg

This is an example of a quarter ounce 2014 BU coin. It was sent to me by a dealer in France and had a scuff on the front and some minor rim damage on the side..

The dealer would not allow the return via eBay and protested that the coin walls packed correctly which indeed it was. It just so happened that it was clearly already damaged prior to packing.

It took several weeks of negotiating and a case open with eBay to resolve this matter and ebay agreed that the coin should be sent back to the dealer and refund on the basis that it did not appear to be as described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Guest

I like your proof set twizynorthwood. I have a 1oz BU Gold Libertad I think I will check it again for slight rim damage.  Though to be honest if it comes like that and there are lots of them like that from the mint one could argue that's there standard.

I never send coins off to be graded, why do you send them off to be graded is it to make money or for collecting purposes.

One note anyone who has the American Buffalo 1oz Gold coin will know the thickness at the edge of the coins  is different all the way around.  When I got my first one I rang the bullion dealer thinking it was damaged or a fake but everyone is the same but not exactly the same apparently its down to the pressing of the coin  and the amount of presses it takes.

I try to grade my coins just for collecting purposes as I'm sure it costs me more than I would get since I pay full price.

I like the consistency of presentation and the fact that the condition is frozen in time. Also higher grades are worth a premium.

I don't like PCGS capsules so I always use NGS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spotted something weird on ebay I like and trying to get the funds sorted :)

300g of 999 gold -

3vTWxkK.jpg

wd2k5WB.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271749249953?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dont know why but it reminds me of this lol -

http://i.imgur.com/bYx9Fny.png

Edited by mr-dead

it is certainly a unique & visual piece  

but it is price, £10,648.56 / 300g = £35.4962 per g x 31.103 = £1104.03 per oz (!)

Current HGM stock £880 per coin @ 3% over

£10648 / £880 = 12oz of gold + £88 quid change

Would be a hard piece to move I would think, might only get melt for it which would be a great shame

Just spotted something weird on ebay I like and trying to get the funds sorted :)

300g of 999 gold -

3vTWxkK.jpg

wd2k5WB.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271749249953?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dont know why but it reminds me of this lol -

http://i.imgur.com/bYx9Fny.png

Precious metal transformed into cack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator

If I had your spending power Mr Dead, I would pick up one of these: https://www.coininvest.com/en/gold-coins/australian-kangaroo/nugget-kangaroo-10oz-gold-1996/

As far as I can work out from the mintage numbers, they only minted the 10oz version between 1987 and 2009 which was the last year. This 1996 one had a mintage of only 1358.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme