• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold stacker

mr-dead

just did a quick google image search and there seems to be 2 different designs for that year?

ckxCjr7.png

Well spotted though, much better attention to detail than me, wonder if there is a variance in design depending where they were minted?

edit :

Looks like it was minted in Perth

http://goldsovereignexpert.com/mintmark.asp?CoinDate=1907&Bust=10&Design=1

but yours doesn't show the p mintmark?

how sure are you that yours is genuine?

HH

im working away from home at the moment so cant have a proper look.  Thought I made out a "P" from the pic but thing im seeing things lol.

If it came from Hatton Gardens im pretty sure its legit.  Have quite a few sovs now so familiar with the look and feel of them so not worried at all.

I thought that was only for 2007+ sovereigns?

the 2000-2006 had one design and they changed/

improved it in 2007?

HH

Mine has the regular tail not the short tail, but they have been doing the short tail since at least 1891 -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=669&bih=634&noj=1&site=webhp&source=hp&q=short+tail+sovereign&oq=short+tail+sovereign&gs_l=hp.3..0i22i30.1796.4906.0.5183.20.18.0.0.0.0.162.1419.9j6.15.0.ekpsrh...0...1.1.64.hp..5.15.1416.y52E-c7Na9U

p.s. the above 2 coins are 1/2 sovs as mentioned in the original post, doubt Hatton Garden are about to risk their reputation for £95 coin :)

Edited by mr-dead

Mine has the regular tail not the short tail, but they have been doing the short tail since at least 1891 -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=669&bih=634&noj=1&site=webhp&source=hp&q=short+tail+sovereign&oq=short+tail+sovereign&gs_l=hp.3..0i22i30.1796.4906.0.5183.20.18.0.0.0.0.162.1419.9j6.15.0.ekpsrh...0...1.1.64.hp..5.15.1416.y52E-c7Na9U

p.s. the above 2 coins are 1/2 sovs as mentioned in the original post, doubt Hatton Garden are about to risk their reputation for £95 coin :)

maybe they overlooked it similar to you?

(I was not for one moment accusing them of trying to

cheat you of £95)

HH

I have read something about "short tail" sovereigns, is this the same thing?

Don't even try to get to grips with full sovereign tails: long, short and medium even, it's an absolute minefield. They even discovered a new one less than 20 years ago on a victoria.

I'm not aware of different tails on half sovs but there again, I'm not really interested in anything other than victoria shieldbacks.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome collection of gold Mr Dead, I would not be able to sleep at night if I owned that lot just in case the price of gold tanks, my plan for my own stack is hopefully to end up with 10 oz of gold and 500 oz of silver and hope one of them goes mental in my lifetime, so far I'm at 4.5 and 200.  Since gold has already had it's bull run I'm expecting silver to be one more likely.

I can't see gold going down significantly myself, the days you could spook the market and scare people into selling are gone, now they just hoover up more if the price drops too much.

Great looking at all your gold though, good luck with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just took the mystery option at Hatton Gardens and ordered 10 X 10g gold bars.

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/pid18/gold-bar-10g.aspx

Hope they are something nice like pamps :D

Getting that gut feeling gold may spike a little tomorrow considering Greece, also kept a little powder dry for another 3oz (will be made up of sovs or britannias)

Just took the mystery option at Hatton Gardens and ordered 10 X 10g gold bars.

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/pid18/gold-bar-10g.aspx

Hope they are something nice like pamps :D

Getting that gut feeling gold may spike a little tomorrow considering Greece, also kept a little powder dry for another 3oz (will be made up of sovs or britannias)

The 10g bar I just bought from them was a Degussa. Nice looking wee bar and I did rather enjoy the mystery of not knowing what it would be.

They must have got 20+ in all at once as I see there are still 9 left.

Received back some graded coins today from NGC. Variable results...

b73365248a49b9d0207767cd42bd7cda.jpg

One good shield and one polished details.

9c9c89303f145d61d2e272bfcd289c1e.jpg

8d505cd0ec02efa4d5148f9f0bbe6873.jpg

Beautiful $2.5 that had been mounted !

4b91fb8180fd773e78c1721fba97d8e9.jpg

95f3c790f58b6f89ee1a21402bf645ad.jpg

Bullion 2002 picked up from HGM

5b27daccc2865216a0c0d54cd5c59620.jpg

1881 $5 was graded AU55 not bad