• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold stacker

mr-dead

Yeah ive seen that a few times,

and tbh i thought that when a £5 gold coin was mentioned

people were referring to a new coin?

Thanks again mate

But the question, 5 sovereigns over one quintuple sovereign? ;) think of all the year/mint combinations!!

But the question, 5 sovereigns over one quintuple sovereign? ;) think of all the year/mint combinations!!

Depends on the year, I'm still looking out for a 1887 in EF or better grade for a reasonable price. The modern ones are nice as a 4 (or 5) coin set but on their own, just bullion. Except maybe the special ones, 1989, 2002 etc. Even then, 5 £1 specials instead of 1 £5 special?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 2 weeks later...

Question to Sovereign Steve or anyone else with the knowledge. This PCGS slabbed one has just sold on ebay for a hefty price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Australia-1871-gold-Sovereign-Sydney-mint-shield-PCGS-MS63-/271831892804

It claims to be a Sydney sovereign whilst at the same time has a die number 28.

I thought only London mint had die numbers ?

Question to Sovereign Steve or anyone else with the knowledge. This PCGS slabbed one has just sold on ebay for a hefty price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Australia-1871-gold-Sovereign-Sydney-mint-shield-PCGS-MS63-/271831892804

It claims to be a Sydney sovereign whilst at the same time has a die number 28.

I thought only London mint had die numbers ?

You are correct. Sydney sovereigns of this type (Spink 3855) do not have die numbers. The S for Sydney is below the shield where the die number would normally be.

If you look this coin up in the PCGS database, it checks out for type but the description does not match the label exactly; there is no mention of a die number.

However, if you look at the photos, there is a die number 28 but no S mintmark. This seems to be a colossal cockup by PCGS. they have typed it as Sydney when it's actually a London.

Coming to the sale price. It is grossly overvalued by at least a factor of 2.

Perhaps the uncertainty of the mintmark and die number has enticed bidders to go insane thinking it's something special.

£2146 for a sov that is nothing special bloody nutters. PCGS who can trust them on sovereigns now.

I wonder who is the fool that paid that much for it.

How much does a sovereign book cost? Surely if you are going to buy sovereigns above normal prices you would research the subject first.

I wouldn't say it's nothing special. At grade 63 that is pretty much mint, uncirculated. Shields that good are pretty rare, I think I've seen the odd 64 but nothing better.

However, unless there's something about that date and die number that I'm not aware of, yes, it's bloody insane.

Looking at the bidding; it went to $2000, which I could understand at a pinch but then 2 bidders obviously wanted it badly and put large final bids in. The seller is one lucky bunny.

I think I'm going to have to get my better quality shields graded by PCGS!

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit a major milestone stone today, over the 1kg fine weight in gold :)

Current stack total is now 1002g or 32.23oz

This month Ive grabbed -

1/10 Britannia

1/10 Krugerand

1/10 Guernsey double

1890 full sov

1913 Prussia 20 Mark

1909 20 Franc

Now just ordered up an Austrian 100 Corona from Atkinson's tipping me over the edge -

Will add some real pics when it gets delivered (hopefully tomorrow)

Well done you have just pipped me I am 3 full sovereigns short of the magical 1kg.