• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are we going to see smaller gold coins rise in popularity?

Foster88

10 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

...can't go around using 1oz coins for everything but oz coins are still good if say we can barter a couple to buy a house in the future. 

If not a couple, maybe 5-10

During Weimar's hyperinflation good Berlin flats were changing hands for as little as $100, which was 5 ounces at the time..

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

24 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

During Weimar's hyperinflation good Berlin flats were changing hands for as little as $100, which was 5 ounces at the time..

There is that urban legend, whether right or not, that during that period a family owned a house that was mortgaged and the father travelled for work. He had some USD currency (can't remember the amount, think it was $100). Anyway, when it went mental, he was able to pay off the mortgage with the $100s as the Foreign currency was in demand

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

46 minutes ago, Gruff said:

There is that urban legend, whether right or not, that during that period a family owned a house that was mortgaged and the father travelled for work. He had some USD currency (can't remember the amount, think it was $100). Anyway, when it went mental, he was able to pay off the mortgage with the $100s as the Foreign currency was in demand

It rings true to me. Remember dollar was fully convertible to gold at the time, $20/oz. It was a gold receipt. At the height of the Weimar mess prices were changing during the day for the poor bastids who had to use the local toilet paper.

Those with hard money (dollars, gold) had the upper hand. Even american students had unbelievable purchasing power (in that period) with their living allowance which was in dollars of course.

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

On 16/11/2023 at 10:14, JohnA1 said:

It'll be incredibly interesting to see how this plays out. If us stackers are right and the £ does hyperinflate, will the government try and confiscate gold? Or will they simply allow property sales to go through (through official channels) with gold being offered instead of fiat?

https://goldsilver.com/blog/if-history-repeats-youll-buy-a-house-for-100-ounces-of-gold-or-2000-ounces-of-silver-or-less/

I agree with a lot in this article.

Definately not the tax angle - it only applies to land owned by someone else.

Historically allodial titles were typically obtained by paying in real money (gold). "paying" using someone else's debt instruments leads to inferior titles, where you are way down the totem pole and the real owner collects taxes/charges etc

Edited by JohnA1

1 hour ago, Timberwolf said:

It'll be incredibly interesting to see how this plays out. If us stackers are right and the £ does hyperinflate, will the government try and confiscate gold? Or will they simply allow property sales to go through (through official channels) with gold being offered instead of fiat?

There has never been a gold confiscation in the UK, new emergency powers would have to be drafted. It wouldn't happen under the radar and would only be possible in a serious crisis. It's easier for the government to steal from us by inflation than confiscation, which have the same net result. If you use inflation you punish everybody but mostly you punish the poorest in society. If the government confiscates gold they are taking it from the top 10% and especially the top 1%. Those people are the government, they won't make themselves poorer for the greater good. If they did try to confiscate gold we'd get enough time to book our boating trips. 

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

On 16/11/2023 at 10:14, JohnA1 said:

Here is another dimension affecting (perhaps) the house prices in Germany at the time: rent-control had forced yields down to nothing

Ive moved from 1/4 gold brits to sovereigns as the sovs are slightly cheaper. That  allows me to keep purchasing a very liquid coin if i need to sell. Would love the 1/4 Tudor Beast Unicorn but just cant justify the price, sadly.

I like a 1/10 brit too but havnt bought any since my 2023 earlier this year.

1 hour ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

There has never been a gold confiscation in the UK, new emergency powers would have to be drafted. It wouldn't happen under the radar and would only be possible in a serious crisis. It's easier for the government to steal from us by inflation than confiscation, which have the same net result. If you use inflation you punish everybody but mostly you punish the poorest in society. If the government confiscates gold they are taking it from the top 10% and especially the top 1%. Those people are the government, they won't make themselves poorer for the greater good. If they did try to confiscate gold we'd get enough time to book our boating trips. 

Totally agree. I first got ideas about gold ownership by overhearing conversations of such characters (bigwigs with City bonuses of millions or chunks thereof). I doubt they would attempt to pluck their own eyes out.

...but they could talk the average Joes into handing in their PMs with some stick and carrot: they did it with the plandemic didn't they?

The carrot could be buying it back from you (voluntarily of course) at exaggerated GBP prices. Plebs would happily exchange real money for a big roll of toilet paper. Bigger roll if needed.

The stick could be some legislative claptrap, reshuffling CGT rules, introducing penalties for anti-patriotic 'hoarders' etc. Most people are easily intimidated and prefer to 'stay with the law' and avoid trouble. Born sheep.

Hey, even people on this forum have been asking about inheritance taxation when leaving sovs to offspring, WTF..

Under fake emergency powers they can easily grab pensions, funds, ETFs, bank deposits, safety deposit contents, etc. At the press of a button. Why bother with the few hardcore gold/silver bugs? Not worth it..

Edited by JohnA1

12 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

leaving sovs as inheritance

I wouldn't even declare this. Just have a separate letter stating who gets what. If it is out the system, it's out the system right?

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

31 minutes ago, Gruff said:

I wouldn't even declare this. Just have a separate letter stating who gets what. If it is out the system, it's out the system right?

Exactly. Not only out of the system, it is legal tender in the country, CGT exempt at the time of purchase. But the plebeian mindset is paramount, the belief that you 'owe' tax at every move, just like a slave. Oooh, I need to make sure I pay me taxes. Like it's a divine obligation to Karma, not  a subsidiary of the Crown Corporation..

The 'ruling' class deals with no such bull, they stuff everything of value into a private trust within a trust and then just change the beneficiary names. No parasites involved.

Edited by JohnA1

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Foster88 said:

Don’t call me Nostradamus but….

The replies to this post were interesting at the time and now given the huge change in gold price.

Are we seeing a shift to ‘smaller gold’?

I would say we will, I can see sovs becoming vastly more popular as well because of it

On 19/04/2024 at 01:04, Foster88 said:

Don’t call me Nostradamus but….

The replies to this post were interesting at the time and now given the huge change in gold price.

Are we seeing a shift to ‘smaller gold’?

It was a very good question asked 6 months ago. I would say that time has arrived for many on TSF.

1g & 5g bars,  1/4 & 1/10oz gold, 1/4 sovereigns etc are definitely more popular, at the expense of 1oz gold and various proofs.

My smallest is a 1/20th oz but that came with a Panda set!  Don’t blame anyone for steering clear of the larger gold coins!

Can only envy those who a can afford to buy 2oz/5oz gold proofs…….🤢

PS: I forgot 1/40th oz & 1/8th Sovereigns!

19 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

It was a very good question asked 6 months ago. I would say that time has arrived for many on TSF.

1g & 5g bars,  1/4 & 1/10oz gold, 1/4 sovereigns etc are definitely more popular, at the expense of 1oz gold and various proofs.

My smallest is a 1/20th oz but that came with a Panda set!  Don’t blame anyone for steering clear of the larger gold coins!

Can only envy those who a can afford to buy 2oz/5oz gold proofs…….🤢

PS: I forgot 1/40th oz & 1/8th Sovereigns!

🤔1/8 sovereigns aren’t real🤔🤔🧐

16 hours ago, Petra said:

🤔1/8 sovereigns aren’t real🤔🤔🧐

I agree, but it’s too late now because ‘Hattons of London’ have SOLD OUT - Only £69!

At 1g that works out at about £2140 oz. Not minted by the RM yet, but watch this space!

Will let you know when back in stock😁😁

4 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

I agree, but it’s too late now because ‘Hattons of London’ have SOLD OUT - Only £69!

At 1g that works out at about £2140 oz. Not minted by the RM yet, but watch this space!

Will let you know when back in stock😁😁

I'm waiting for 1/64 sovereign.

A....a...a.... 🤧

Wait where did it go? 😁

Edited by SidS

Sovereign is someone standing on his feet, a ruler - even of one's fate

Fraction of a sovereign is...just not sovereign, is it?🧐

1 hour ago, SidS said:

I'm waiting for 1/64 sovereign.

A....a...a.... 🤧

Wait where did it go? 😁

Smallest fractional sovereign for me is the 1/2. The 1/4 was introduced in 2009 to increase the RMs revenue - thus the 5 coin sets!  For me it’s one to avoid simply because it was never in circulation.

In 1853 Wyon produced the 5 shilling and 1/4 sovereign in pattern form

Photo courtesy of Chards

IMG_0398.jpeg

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

‘Hattons of London’ have SOLD OUT - Only £69!

At 1g that works out at about £2140 oz.

tbf there are 1g bars on here for more than £69.00 and one of those german Oxford, Cambridge or Harvard bars or whatever they are had been listed on ebay for over £100.00 

that makes Hattons look cheap.... 🤣

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

7 minutes ago, Gordy said:

tbf there are 1g bars on here for more than £69.00 and one of those german Oxford, Cambridge or Harvard bars or whatever they are had been listed on ebay for over £100.00 

that makes Hattons look cheap.... 🤣

🤔😮look cheap🤔of course Hattons are cheap👀😁