• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Worth buying £10,000 of gold in GBP whilst the USD is strong against it?

Skyhawk747

• Founder & Administrator

I've split this into a new topic as will be better for you to get direct opinions/answers to your specific question and keeps the forum tidy also :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

You have two factors in play: the underlying gold price in USD and then the GBP/USD exchange rate.  

Some people think that the pound is currently quite weak against the dollar, which, as you say would reduce the price of gold in GBP if the pound were to strengthen against the dollar.

Some people think that the spot price of gold is undervalued in USD terms, and may increase over the next year or two.

Personally I see more upside potential in the gold price compared to the downside potential on the exchange rate and would consider buying if (a) I had the spare cash and (b) didn't have an existing holding.

7 hours ago, Skyhawk747 said:

Great reply Abyss and thanks...

So if you were me right now what you do? Hold off and wait for the GBP to strengthen or buy now?

I have never been able to time the right time to pull the trigger to purchase Gold. When I started to accumulate in 2016 I thought I had about 10 years where the gold price would be stuck below $1400 level and I had plenty of time to accumulate in hindsight I was just lucky. Look at the monthly chart of Gold on trading view (free for anyone to do so)

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/?symbol=COMEX%3AGC1!

see triple top $2080 level. In my humble opinion the price Gold will slowly decline working its way towards $1700. I have a strong conviction the price leg created from $1625 to $ 2080 (monthly chart) will hold I would be looking to re-accumulate (confirmation obtained weekly chart) Gold between the price $1650 and $1700. As for the exchange rate £/$ sorry it is to hard to time both markets and pull the trigger for the purchase of Gold I have only looked at the price of Gold in $ and have purchased it based on that price.

But once you buy don't have any regrets and make sure your 10k is something that you can keep in Gold and not have to sell if something unexpected happened in life.

Edited by Abyss

13 hours ago, Abyss said:

Lets run through some hypothetical scenarios see how it impacts the number of oz of Gold you can accumulate having £10k (no premiums buying at spot)

1. Current situation £/$ 1.22 Gold $1848 = 6.60 oz

2. GBP stronger £/$ $1.50 Gold price same $1848 = 8.11 oz

3. GBP stonger £/$ 1.50 Gold Price weaker $1600 = 9.37 oz

4.Weaker GBP £/$ 1 Stronger Gold price $2000 = 5.00 oz

Anyone can run through additional scenarios but as you can see the most beneficial scenario for UK citizien holding GBP and buying Gold when $ price of Gold is falling and the exchange rate £ is getting stronger vs $

I opine that 3 is more the probable direction of travel, which yields the worst case if you bought in at recent levels. Expecting a $1.40 per Pound, $1500/ounce gold price. If so then averaging-in, a Sovereign/month for a couple of years rather than lumping £10K in today would work out better, with the reservation to lump in the outstanding remainder if/when the price dropped to less than £1100/ounce.

There's always the 50/50 lump-in/average-in choice so that you're neither fully wrong, or right.

19 hours ago, Skyhawk747 said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if it's worth buying about £10,000 of gold in GBP whilst the USD is strong against it? Once the GBP strengthens won't that hugely affect the price of gold as the value of the USD will drop?

Cheers

Phil

Are you thinking as a trader or a stacker? Short or long term?

As a stacker, the answer is '**** yeah'. Why would you care if this paper or that paper is in vogue? (that's what strong dollar/weak pound means, right?)

As a trader (buying/selling frequently) you're at the whims of forces and winds greater than all of us. It's more luck than skill.

As a stacker the end-game is clear

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

1 minute ago, Skyhawk747 said:

I'm looking to invest so I can sell in 10-15 years' time.

That time-frame is more stacker-biased.  Irrespective of USD/GBP balance, gold is king in my eyes

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

On 07/10/2023 at 12:20, MonkeysUncle said:

I would steer to buying now, as the alternative is to sit on the fence and waste time/ worry etc. I have a horrible history of sitting on fences. Sometimes it works out well, others badly.

On your timetrame I would suggest buying, putting it away somewhere safe and forgetting about it day to day. Look at the spot price onceca month or once a quarter or whatever. Or not at all.

The other alternative if you really do fret about short term ups and downs (I suffered terribly from this) is to buy small amounts frequently. So maybe go and buy a couple of Sovereigns or whatever and then repeat in a months time and so on until you've invested the cash.

Where have you been uncle? I've been looking for some good advice on gold buying!

On 07/10/2023 at 19:20, MonkeysUncle said:

I would steer to buying now, as the alternative is to sit on the fence and waste time/ worry etc. I have a horrible history of sitting on fences. Sometimes it works out well, others badly.

On your timetrame I would suggest buying, putting it away somewhere safe and forgetting about it day to day. Look at the spot price onceca month or once a quarter or whatever. Or not at all.

The other alternative if you really do fret about short term ups and downs (I suffered terribly from this) is to buy small amounts frequently. So maybe go and buy a couple of Sovereigns or whatever and then repeat in a months time and so on until you've invested the cash.

Thanks Mr Monkey 🙂

I'm going to go very slow, today I just bought 3 Britannia 1 oz gold coins.

I did look at the King Charles Full Sovereigns but the premiums seem a bit high right now at around 5-10%

On 09/10/2023 at 12:54, Skyhawk747 said:

Thanks Mr Monkey 🙂

I'm going to go very slow, today I just bought 3 Britannia 1 oz gold coins.

I did look at the King Charles Full Sovereigns but the premiums seem a bit high right now at around 5-10%

Buying 3 1oz gold Brits is a nice “slow”pickup. Keep that up if you can when you can and you’ll be more than fine. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dicker said:

It’s good to reflect on this one.

If you had bought on the day you posted this you would be up 575 by today.

One of golds “good”months.

NjE4X2RvaC5qcGc