• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Insurance at home.

Bogart

Becoming frustrated by various insurers who waffle a lot when I try to get a premium for insuring  my coins at home. Have told them I will buy a eurograde 1 safe. To get a value out of them is like blood out of a stone. Some will not quote until I photo every item including a receipt, very handy for purchases done on here!

I am sure some see the risk as too great, well why advertise your services?

So does anybody here have seperate home insurance for their coins? and if so can I ask who with?

13 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Becoming frustrated by various insurers who waffle a lot when I try to get a premium for insuring  my coins at home. Have told them I will buy a eurograde 1 safe. To get a value out of them is like blood out of a stone. Some will not quote until I photo every item including a receipt, very handy for purchases done on here!

So does anybody here have seperate home insurance for their coins? and if so can I ask who with?

I'd prefer not to tell anyone, including an insurer, exactly what I have and where it is stored.

Insurance is a waste of money IMO. Don't get me started on car insurance 😤

3 hours ago, Bogart said:

When you see a value rating on a safe, it is probably for "valuables", but there is often a lower "cash" limit, and insurers may include gold and silver bullion as cash or equivalent.

Most will also want intruder alarms.

Insurers will often expect a discount (from a retailer) of 20% or 25% for replacement of jewellery and other stuff. As they will not be able to get similar diiscount on gold bullion, they will charge a higher premium, or exclude it, and similar for cash.

Most retail jewellers will do jewellery valuations at inflated prices to allow for the discount, but also because it makes their customers feel good that their jewellery has increased in value, except that they have to pay higher premiums because of the inflated prices.

😎

Chards

18 minutes ago, Orpster said:

I use a broker called High Worth insurance and insure my coins separately to my house insurance, this is my contact

image.png.68b59ea48a5eb2047f07083e3b9b2ae7.png

They are one crowd who I cannot get a straight answer from will email your contact.

22 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

When you see a value rating on a safe, it is probably for "valuables", but there is often a lower "cash" limit, and insurers may include gold and silver bullion as cash or equivalent.

Most will also want intruder alarms.

Insurers will often expect a discount (from a retailer) of 20% or 25% for replacement of jewellery and other stuff. As they will not be able to get similar diiscount on gold bullion, they will charge a higher premium, or exclude it, and similar for cash.

Most retail jewellers will do jewellery valuations at inflated prices to allow for the discount, but also because it makes their customers feel good that their jewellery has increased in value, except that they have to pay higher premiums because of the inflated prices.

😎

All good points. Does seem hard to get through to some people that just because I have coins they should not be treated as cash. I wonder if I could pay my premium in sovereigns? Nobody has asked me yet about a burglar alarm. I do have one, not that it works.

So asked if I have one can answer yes😁

31 minutes ago, Petra said:

Bearing in mind premiums, maybe worth looking at a safety deposit box?

I'm considering getting one of these myself but I understand from what I have read that often you have to insure the contents yourself even though they are in a vault.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chip in on this?

18 minutes ago, PhilOdgny said:

I'm considering getting one of these myself but I understand from what I have read that often you have to insure the contents yourself even though they are in a vault.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chip in on this?

If you find online your local place it will say or just email them, I can’t say as I am currently still looking for some where. Bear in mind cost, distance etc. just Google 

1 hour ago, PhilOdgny said:

You are correct. Insurance is not included and you have to take out your own. Many don’t bother.

4 hours ago, Bogart said:

All good points. Does seem hard to get through to some people that just because I have coins they should not be treated as cash. I wonder if I could pay my premium in sovereigns? Nobody has asked me yet about a burglar alarm. I do have one, not that it works.

So asked if I have one can answer yes😁

I think that "I do have one, not that it works. So asked if I have one can answer yes" might come under material disclosure  / lack of!

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Only if you take him to the Doggie Dentist to maintain his gnashers as fine burglar chomping machines.

My preference is a pack of tigers to be honest.

And a Terminator equipped with an Uzi 9 millimeter!

Now your talking.

3 hours ago, Petra said:

Bearing in mind premiums, maybe worth looking at a safety deposit box?

No I want it with me not stuck somewhere remote.

47 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think that "I do have one, not that it works. So asked if I have one can answer yes" might come under material disclosure  / lack of!

😎

Spoilsport.

These work quite well.....

Installation of a Claymore Mine From Start to Finish | Military videos, Claymore, Army video

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

8 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

These work quite well.....

Installation of a Claymore Mine From Start to Finish | Military videos, Claymore, Army video

I see the army realise how important it is to distinguish between the front and the rear…wouldn’t want to get that wrong with a claymore…or anything else come to think of it!

Edited by Kookaburracollector