• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Insurance at home.

Bogart

3 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Getting in in and out of what you describe as a motor might be harder than you think. A 4x4 or van yes not a saloon.

Yeah ive got a 4*4 but I dont think im going to risk it tbh, by the time ive bribed a friend or two to help and lost a day, squashed a finger etc. i think ill wished i had just taken the easy route

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Thats a hellova lot of localised weight for a car, mate with a van or small trailer if you have a towbar. 

Looks a cracker though and will be pretty smart when done up.

Yep i think so, a nice pet project to keep me busy in the evenings for a while

2 minutes ago, Bogart said:

I wouldn't try to repaint it leave it as is. It has what one calls patina, shows it has had a bit of life.

The original paint work is exposed in some of the other photos, the green looks to have been more recent - hoping i can recover enough of the original to at least copy some of the more intricate design on it.  Will have to wait and see though, i have zero experience of doing something like this

The front would have looked more like this, there's some folks on fleabay that do these up really nicely and then sell them on for about 2k - this cost 200£ and is fully functional apart from a couple of missing drawers inside which i can just make out of wood and paint.  The transport will cost as much as the safe 🙃

s-l500.jpg

1 minute ago, Zeuk said:

The original paint work is exposed in some of the other photos, the green looks to have been more recent - hoping i can recover enough of the original to at least copy some of the more intricate design on it.  Will have to wait and see though, i have zero experience of doing something like this

Buy a cheap random orbital sander. With sanding discs ranging from 40grit to 240g. You will obviously have to sand intricate areas by hand. 

Once you have a smooth to the touch finish ( hands will tell you more than your eyes) clean thoroughly with white spirits to get dust off.

Buy the best metal primer you can ( personally I'd go for aerosol) although more expensive, the finish will be better than brush marks. 

Spray from about 8-12inches away, start spraying before the the target area and finish after the target area. ( wear a mask ffs lol)

Couple of top coats and job is a goodun. 

As tempting as it will be to move indoors as soon as finish, don't... allow the paint to cure for 3 or 4 days.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, James32 said:

As tempting as it will be to move indoors as soon as finish, don't... allow the paint to cure for 3 or 4 days.

Appreciate that, how messy do you reckon it will be, I was thinking about just putting it straight into the room where its going to stay, purely because i cant be arsed to move it again.  The room will be getting redecorated after.  When we moved in, there was a pool table in the room, mirrors across all the wall and a lovely 1980s green paint, matches the safe quite well actually

3 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

Appreciate that, how messy do you reckon it will be, I was thinking about just putting it straight into the room where its going to stay, purely because i cant be arsed to move it again.  The room will be getting redecorated after.  When we moved in, there was a pool table in the room, mirrors across all the wall and a lovely 1980s green paint, matches the safe quite well actually

You can attach the sander to a home vacuum.  You can go to the local Shop and get some cardboard boxes, cut up and make a temporary spray booth ( so you contain the overspray) 

I'm reluctant to recommend spraying aerosols indoors though, fumes are stinking and possibly dangerous. Probably best to hand paint/roller.

All previous steps stay the same.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

44 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

I bought the beast today, early xmas prezzie from the Mrs and I think a tacit agreement or at least acceptance of the stacking habit, im going to do it up and have it in the dining room, her only condition was to put a plant on it 🤷‍♂️.  Just trying to work out if i dare stick it in the back of my motor or if im better off paying for a courier.  The seller reckons its about 200kg.

s-l1600.jpg

What a beauty. Love how it looks already but bet it’ll looking cracking when you’re done with it 👍🏼

40 minutes ago, James32 said:

Thats a hellova lot of localised weight for a car, mate with a van or small trailer if you have a towbar. 

Looks a cracker though and will be pretty smart when done up.

They’ll put a chain and rope round it and pull it through your window with their stolen 4x4!🫢😮🤔😁

18 minutes ago, James32 said:

I'm reluctant to recommend spraying aerosols indoors though, fumes are stinking and possibly dangerous. Probably best to hand paint/roller.

About time the kids earned their pocket money

28 minutes ago, James32 said:

Ventilation is critical if mucking around with aerosols indoors. Been there, got whacked off chemical fume and came around in one of those horrid Nazi infested beige coloured places that stinks of disinfectant.

Best do it up and move it a second time. Beg, borrow or steal a porters trolley and make friends with a gent or two who playeth with odd shaped balls. 

Well ... some very enthusiastic delivery drivers dropped it off this morning, I received a nervous call when they were on their way asking if I was there to help 😆. Only slight challenge is its now upside down on a trolley and ive got no way of turning it the right way up, guess the bottom is going to get some tlc first.

Can you get, beg or borrow, a pair of those rails with wheels for moving white goods around. Alternatively a broom handle cut down into pieces to act as rollers. Tilting 200kg to get a piece of wood roller in there should not be too hard. Handy to put a couple of straps under it first so at the final resting place you have a bit of leverage

or a straight lift capability. Give a few mates an evening in the pub as an incentive to help.

On 14/11/2022 at 21:28, BiigT said:

I've thought about this topic as I've grown my stash. I currently hide mine in various locations throughout my house, mainly in places that you might not look if you were ransacking someone house. As an example, putting a box with 3 or 4 sovs in the downstairs cubby bathroom cupboard. 

I've also thought about making a hole in the upstairs floorboard inside cupboards or in the corner of a room, but obviously you'd have to be careful of weight on the plasterboard. 

I haven't done any research, but another thought was to buy a climate controlled airtight storage box and put it in the loft. You'd need electricity in there, but that's easy enough. 

Not ideal, but a couple of ideas if you can't get insurance sorted. 

The problem with hiding it secretly round the house is what happens if you unexpected have a fatal heart attack, or accident. Would anyone be able to find it?

Or would it just be a nice surprise for a new homeowner in a few years when they do some rennovations to the attic floorboards?

1 minute ago, Tortoise said:

The problem with hiding it secretly round the house is what happens if you unexpected have a fatal heart attack, or accident. Would anyone be able to find it?

Or would it just be a nice surprise for a new homeowner in a few years when they do some rennovations to the attic floorboards?

I'd be dead so I wouldn't care 😂 in all seriousness, I've got that covered. I wrote the locations in my will, along with a list of what each item is, its value at time of purchase and some advice re where to sell them if that's what they wanted to do. 

3 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

People appear to have never found them in the piano, let alone hidden around the house🤔 

3 minutes ago, BiigT said:

I'd be dead so I wouldn't care 😂 in all seriousness, I've got that covered. I wrote the locations in my will, along with a list of what each item is, its value at time of purchase and some advice re where to sell them if that's what they wanted to do. 

Just tell the other half not to let the solicitor in when you’ve gone🫢😮

Chubb are an excellent insurance company.with a decent safe they will insure £25k in pm’s I believe, Anything over that I can’t understand why you would want to keep it in your house,,,,,,, use a safety deposit box.  
silver (too blooming heavy to steal) at home and gold in a sd box is possibly a sensible idea. 

but each to his own I guess, a blooming big dog and a crossbow probably works pretty well  🐶😂

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

Training the dog to use a crossbow can be time consuming. 

If you “paws” for a moment to think about it, I’m sure the will be some “tail” you can come up with to tell how you could “ collar” someone who tries to “sniff out” you buried treasure’ or maybe I’m “barking “ up the wrong tree with my assumptions. 

8 hours ago, scotwasp said:

Chubb are an excellent insurance company.with a decent safe they will insure £25k in pm’s I believe, Anything over that I can’t understand why you would want to keep it in your house,,,,,,, use a safety deposit box.  
🐶😂

People keep coins in their houses so they can look at them, same as a stamp collection. It is nice occasionally to have a look at them in all their glory. I do not want to trot off to some bank on a rainy morning to do the same.