• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - See a deal, post here :)

morezone
Message added by ChrisSilver

I think it's good they made the change.  As a trader myself I cannot imagine setting a price and then leaving it there for a whole day.  You would get completely picked off.

I saw it happen once where they had 7 Gold Britannias at 3% that I was eyeing up, for a could of days gold price was calm and I was just waiting until the day of the month when I do my scheduled purchase.  Suddenly, gold price shot up by 2-3% and I checked within about 20 minutes of it happening and all the Britannias had sold.  Someone had taken them right when the live price shot through their LME mark.

Ultimately, it's in our interests for these guys to stay in business.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, tremillion said:

I think it's good they made the change.  As a trader myself I cannot imagine setting a price and then leaving it there for a whole day.  You would get completely picked off.

I saw it happen once where they had 7 Gold Britannias at 3% that I was eyeing up, for a could of days gold price was calm and I was just waiting until the day of the month when I do my scheduled purchase.  Suddenly, gold price shot up by 2-3% and I checked within about 20 minutes of it happening and all the Britannias had sold.  Someone had taken them right when the live price shot through their LME mark.

Ultimately, it's in our interests for these guys to stay in business.

Yes, but they made their profit on those 7 Britannias. 

Nobody looking to trade the intra-day Spot is buying physical gold and taking delivery of it. 

Honestly, it doesn't matter if they stay in business or not.  There will always be another gold buyer.  Two months ago, I could get 98% of Spot for scrap and coins from them.  Now I can't get more than 96% (ish), so I'll sell elsewhere and they'll lose all my business in that regard.  Nothing big by any means - but if all the small gold buyers start doing it, it becomes a bigger issue as they won't be getting the stock to sell on.

5 hours ago, Clens92 said:

And it appears that they've also reduced the price they're paying on gold as well. 

They'll pay 98% of spot for a full sovereign, but only 95% for a half sovereign. 

97% on gold bars, it seems.

But any coins under an ounce which aren't a full sovereign seem to be only 95% of Spot... that's a pretty poor price.

They've also removed their Voucher Code box, which got you an extra 1% on scrap gold.

Perhaps things are not quite so rosy as they seem with the company.

I have just sold a mix of coins to pay for a single old coin bought at auction, not to HGM though.

This included half and full sovereigns, ducats, south african ponds etc and the half-sovereigns were certainly the lowest at 95% and the full sovereigns the highest at 99% with everything else at 98%, this always seems to be the case and is why my bullion is now full sovereigns only.

21 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

How bizarre - repaired?  Perhaps the little nick on the rim at about 10 o'clock on the Face side? 

Regardless, I can imagine somebody took a very big hit when that came back as Ungradeable.  It's not worth anything close to £13k now.

1 hour ago, Clens92 said:

How bizarre - repaired?  Perhaps the little nick on the rim at about 10 o'clock on the Face side? 

Regardless, I can imagine somebody took a very big hit when that came back as Ungradeable.  It's not worth anything close to £13k now.

One reason that the repair isn't obvious is the coin may have ben on a spinning mount, which involved a bar inserted at 180 degrees into the rim. I've seen a few of these for sale, mainly in very good condition. Unless it's just been the same coin doing the rounds? :P

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

7 hours ago, oliversw5 said:

I had a very in-depth chat with one of the ladies on the phone, very nice lady. Just for comparison I probed her on her margins, she asked why I only buy certain types of gold, she told me that once out-goings are paid the profit is wafer thin. I certainly wouldn't want to be in their position, as much as they are probably number one in the country I can imagine that when business slows down it gets ugly pretty quickly for them.

Their business model is precarious when the gold price trades in a narrow range like it has over the last 18 months or so. Spot has a sudden upsurge and they get offered loads of gold at the new high price. Their stock levels shoot up but nobody is buying. Spot then falls off the highs and people start buying again. Rinse and repeat. Their buy/sell margin is insufficient to cope with many of these cycles.

They need long sustained moves in spot price, in either direction, to make a decent profit over the long term. I doubt if they have been profitable recently, unless their scrap gold business has been keeping them afloat.

1 minute ago, Clens92 said:

Well lads, I've bid to scrap and haven't won it.  I might stretch to HGM's new Spot +5% :P

But seriously, I reckon £2/3k?

I once refused a spinning mount one at about £500. Been kicking myself ever since.

This is one of my favourite coins ever.

There were 2 on HGM and I just couldn't resist - this is one for the pension pot - I will enjoy this coin for the next 40 years I have no doubt!

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/pid69/20-double-eagle-st-gaudens-type.aspx

One left for spot +3.5% delivered is a great deal on pre-33 USA gold despite the recent drop in demand and premiums!

Who is gonna pick up the brother of the one I just bought!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

3 minutes ago, Kman said:

I remember that guy from last week and the week before , he was selling ase proof and panda 

both isn't proof but  he list as proof 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

So I’ve just reduce my 6 Piedfort Sovereigns graded as PF70 down to £999 each. Just in case any were interested.

Apologies for mentioning but it it is for Gold deals and I think they are the lowest priced anywhere?? 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

4 hours ago, whitesands1 said:

2017 Bullion Sovereign at Sharps Pixley for under £240.

I'd not heard of them until now. Is that the 2017? More Information below it says 2014, picture shows 2013, title says 2017 :D

If it's just their mixed bullion rate, that's cool. If it's 2017, that's even better.

P.S. This comes with Free Delivery, if anyone wasn't sure. I had to pretend through checkout to see.

6 hours ago, Jay2 said:

I'd not heard of them until now. Is that the 2017? More Information below it says 2014, picture shows 2013, title says 2017 :D

If it's just their mixed bullion rate, that's cool. If it's 2017, that's even better.

P.S. This comes with Free Delivery, if anyone wasn't sure. I had to pretend through checkout to see.

I posted on the 4th. November on this thread about this. I'm pretty sure they used to charge for delivery in the past, which is why I used to visit their shop instead. Working on the railway and getting free travel does pay off at times ;)

Well it depends on how long it takes to get there!  If you could earn more an hour over time after tax than it takes to get there and back then I would question time management but if you like enjoy going then you could say it's lessure time!?

It's beneficial if I'm at work and go on my way home. I get free travel on my local line who I work for and quarter rate on the Oyster card for leisure purposes.

It would usually be around £28 for a return journey if I didn't work on the railway.

As I'm safeguarded staff I can travel from London to Scotland for free by filling out one of my 16 boxes on my priv card. Once they are filled in, it reverts to quarter rate. A box lasts for 48 hours.

Archived