• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign vs Platinum Jubilee vs ERII memorial

dioarn

So sad the Queen passed away today. RIP

I guess the RM will release a memorial coin soon? Curious to know, generally, are the Sovereign coins more popular than commemoratives? Are the Platinum Jubilee commemoratives doing better? What are your guys view on the possible memorial coin?

Thinking to buy some coins in these ranges. Any suggestions? 

Thanks !

I'm not sure a memorial coin will happen. Maybe not in the way some might expect at least. I think there have been some great coins celebrating her reign already this year and it would be in poor taste to make a "death coin". But in a few years I would expect something.

Private mints will be all over it cashing in as best they can on commemorative coins. We all know the main culprits of these Tristan da Cunha coins and Gibraltar sovereigns. Tacky, in poor taste and will be over priced pieces of junk.

What will be a key coin is the Queen Elizabeth coin within the monarchs series. Also I cannot actually remember if she was included already, if not she would make an epic completer coin.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

17 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I'm not sure a memorial coin will happen. Maybe not in the way some might expect at least. I think there have been some great coins celebrating her reign already this year and it would be in poor taste to make a "death coin". But in a few years I would expect something.

Private mints will be all over it cashing in as best they can on commemorative coins. We all know the main culprits of these Tristan da Cunha coins and Gibraltar sovereigns. Tacky, in poor taste and will be over priced pieces of junk.

What will be a key coin is the Queen Elizabeth coin within the monarchs series. Also I cannot actually remember if she was included already, if not she would make an epic completer coin.

Yes, the very last Monarch in the series is QE II. It will no longer be a double headed QE II coin.

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

I am sure there will be RM QEII Memorial coins, possibly as many as 96 of them! 😎

Although I cannot think of any UK monarch precedents, there was a 1965 Churchill memorial crown, 1997 Princess Diana Memorial coins, and 2001 Queen Mother Memorial, 2021 Prince Philp Memoral coins.

There was a tradition of memorial medals / medallions for monarchs.

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

35 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I am sure there will be RM QEII Memorial coins, possibly as many as 96 of them! 😎

Although I cannot think of any UK monarch precedents, there was a 1965 Churchill memorial crown, 1997 Princess Diana Memorial coins, and 2001 Queen Mother Memorial, 2021 Prince Philp Memoral coins.

There was a tradition of memorial medals / medallions for monarchs.

Might I add those coins have never really done well, as far as I can tell.

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Might I add those coins have never really done well, as far as I can tell.

The 1997 Princess Diana Memorial £5 Gold Proof Crown has been in good demand for some years now. Probably a case of lasting or even growing popularity.

Typically, many coins get oversold in the early stampede to get them.

😎

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

The 1997 Princess Diana Memorial £5 Gold Proof Crown has been in good demand for some years now. Probably a case of lasting or even growing popularity.

😎

Good to know, thanks. 🙂

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

Cheap: [https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-proof-diana-coin-cook-islands/5100] :) 

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Good points.

Thank you all for the comments. Any thoughts on the platinum jubilee range? Are they doing well? I am really not following them, but it seems to me that the Sovereigns are more popular.

10 minutes ago, dioarn said:

Good points.

Thank you all for the comments. Any thoughts on the platinum jubilee range? Are they doing well? I am really not following them, but it seems to me that the Sovereigns are more popular.

My personal opinion is all the 2022 sovereigns will do exceptionally well over the next 5-10 years and then shine brightly for the next 200 years 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

14 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

My personal opinion is all the 2022 sovereigns will do exceptionally well over the next 5-10 years and then shine brightly for the next 200 years 

I agree. But what's your view on the platinum jubilee commemoratives?  No one has mentioned them at all lol ..... 

Interesting you mentioned the British Monarch collection. It seems a lot of people are excited about the final one. What the timeline look like at the moment? Can we get to the final one this year? 

Edited by dioarn

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

Based on the comparison page prices, dealers "all of a sudden" in unison hiked premiums on the 2022 bullion sovs by 3%-points... 🤔

Edited by jultorsk

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, jultorsk said:

Based on the comparison page prices, dealers "all of a sudden" in unison hiked premiums on the 2022 bullion sovs by 3%-points... 🤔

Mate grab the 2022 bullion sovereigns while you can still get them at a cheap premium.....no way are these just bullion coins now IMHO. 

20 minutes ago, Piperscoins said:

Am i the only one who thinks that the sad loss of the Queen means that more Sovereigns will be sold!   Hence the less sort after. 

Yes more  sovereigns will be sold……this my it’s very nature makes them more sought after not less sought after, this is supply and demand 101. 

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Yes more  sovereigns will be sold……this my it’s very nature makes them more sought after not less sought after, this is supply and demand 101. 

Are the RM stopping minting the Bullion Sovereign 2022

4 hours ago, Piperscoins said:

Am i the only one who thinks that the sad loss of the Queen means that more Sovereigns will be sold!   Hence the less sort after. 

I saw that on two US retailers, that they were sold out. I could only find the 2022 on Apmex. Provident has the double sovereign but other retailers were out on both the regular and double sovereign. I think that shows unusual demand as sovereigns don't see to go out of stock often here. I think the Royal Arms design helps bolster the demand and future value for this coin. The Pistrucci is classic but this unique design simply enhances this coin.

I've got three 2022 sovereigns but ordered another last night out of respect for the Queen. It's a beautiful coin and I'd like to get another 3-4 before the end of the year. I suppose I also need some gold britannias too before the end of the year along with some Perth coins to get as much Liz II as I can.

Edited by AgCoyote