• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it possible to gold prospect in the UK?

Bigmarc

I have been watching this chap on YouTube for a while and regardless whether or not he comes home with gold or not he always seems to have a nice time. Granted the guy is in Tasmania where they have miles and miles of unpopulated areas and I think I had already dismissed the idea due to the fact that every piece of land is owned buy someone here but it does seem like a interesting way to take time out if you are into your metals. I have briefly looked and discovered that panning for gold is coming back and there are areas of historical mines. Anyone know if it's done here? And are you able to just go and swim in a stream?

Yes, and I think there was someone on the forum who used to do it.  Panning in rivers are probably the most likely way to find gold.  

My guess is you need mountains and terrain to find gold in the U.K. but this is not my area of expertise so happy to be corrected.

Permission is probably the difficult part?

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Interesting..🤔     I heard once that there are untapped gold reserves under the ground in Scotland but I can't remember if it was something I read or something that my Geography teacher told me at school (which would have been around the time the dinosaurs went extinct) and I don't even know if it's true or mere speculation, but it's an interesting prospect nonetheless...

17 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Interesting..🤔     I heard once that there are untapped gold reserves under the ground in Scotland but I can't remember if it was something I read or something that my Geography teacher told me at school (which would have been around the time the dinosaurs went extinct) and I don't even know if it's true or mere speculation, but it's an interesting prospect nonetheless...

Did you not see the series that was on TV about gold mining in Scotland? It was filmed during the run up to the start of Covid. A proper large scale underground mine. Was costing them a fortune and they were worrying that they wouldn’t find anything, they did eventually, however, not sure what has happened since.

Honestly I would totally love to to this in this country, I looked into it and you can do this as a holiday package.  If anyone on here does this I’d love to meet out with you.  

If I found a flake of gold I’d be the happiest man alive! 

13 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Honestly I would totally love to to this in this country, I looked into it and you can do this as a holiday package.  If anyone on here does this I’d love to meet out with you.  

The snorkeling part looks fun too, not sure I could spend days panning on a river bank. 

1 hour ago, flyingveepixie said:

I heard once that there are untapped gold reserves under the ground in Scotland

I looked on a map and there seems to be a fair few old nine location dotted around the UK. Forest of Dean was one area, I have been a few times lovely place to go. 

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Got myself a dream mat sluice, and have all intentions of finding a place to try and find some flakes this year! 

These video's show whats to be found in the UK. 

78av.gif

4 minutes ago, Vern said:

There are hidden unseen dangers of course.

Last time I went looking for gold I came back with a wife.

Depending on the type of wife you acquire - it can be wealth demolition, or she maybe savvy too - can be wealth creation. Hence I normally opt for the blow up variety, neither savvy but not a gold digger neither. 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt. My favourite chat up line - J'adorerais te mettre dans la pipe.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

11 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@HerefordBullyun I just married a rich wife! 

Lucky lad you must be hung like baboon and have the looks of prince charming. Sadly I have a face like a welders bench, a pot belly and the stature of ronnie corbett and the IQ of a mashed swede. 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt. My favourite chat up line - J'adorerais te mettre dans la pipe.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

6 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

I have been watching this chap on YouTube for a while and regardless whether or not he comes home with gold or not he always seems to have a nice time. Granted the guy is in Tasmania where they have miles and miles of unpopulated areas and I think I had already dismissed the idea due to the fact that every piece of land is owned buy someone here but it does seem like a interesting way to take time out if you are into your metals. I have briefly looked and discovered that panning for gold is coming back and there are areas of historical mines. Anyone know if it's done here? And are you able to just go and swim in a stream?

This may have been a recent attempt:

bunglingburglars2.thumb.jpg.48e6bacd116f71e87ec857b705c46c7b.jpg

😎

Chards

@HerefordBullyun when I said rich, she’s just not high maintenance, just like my trusty old lawnmower.  Fill her up now and again and she fires up! 

as a younger guy I did chase the high maintenance women and had loads of fun, but no way in hell was I was going to marry any of them.  Sad thing now mate for young guys there just look like there’s more high maintenance women around, everyone wants to be a celeb. 

8 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@HerefordBullyun when I said rich, she’s just not high maintenance, just like my trusty old lawnmower.  Fill her up now and again and she fires up! 

as a younger guy I did chase the high maintenance women and had loads of fun, but no way in hell was I was going to marry any of them.  Sad thing now mate for young guys there just look like there’s more high maintenance women around, everyone wants to be a celeb. 

You can thank the man Edward Bernas for that, freuds nephew. Adam curtis's documentary the century of the self. This where is where it started after the great depression. The ideology to have everything now and to be just like the stars. And the sadly the MSM pedal it like there's no tomorrow, while corporate elites laugh at them.

Edited by HerefordBullyun

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@HerefordBullyun I mention Lawnmower in a post on TFS now I’m getting Lawnmower maintenance recommendations on YouTube.   Big brother is really watching us. 

Change your browser then. Brave I recommend.

4 hours ago, Petra said:

Did you not see the series that was on TV about gold mining in Scotland? It was filmed during the run up to the start of Covid. A proper large scale underground mine. Was costing them a fortune and they were worrying that they wouldn’t find anything, they did eventually, however, not sure what has happened since.

Nah, never saw it, probably because I haven't had a telly for years..🧐

10 hours ago, SilverDrum said:

Got myself a dream mat sluice, and have all intentions of finding a place to try and find some flakes this year! 

These video's show whats to be found in the UK. 

Great vid, very promising I feel some planning coming on. Wish he had told us how much he got tho. 

I can remember finding lots of 'fools gold' when I was a kid in Glasgow.  Whenever a slate came off one of the tenement roofs after a stormy night you could smash it up and get all the little bits contained within. It was one of many perfect forms of entertainment at the time for us scruffy street kids.

https://buyroofslate.co.uk/what-is-pyrite-in-roofing-slate/

Edited by flyingveepixie