• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Saint George and the Dragon - Best and Worst Versions on Coins, Medals, or Elsewhere

Most TSF members will be familiar with Benedetto Pistricci's versions of St. George and the Dragon, as used on gold sovereigns from 1817 to date, give or take a few years. His work also appears on crowns, and on multiple and fractional sovereigns.

The Benedetto Pistricci version is generally recognised as a classic masterpiece, but other versions exist, and not only on British coins. but in paintings, carvings, pub signs, medallions, and probably elsewhere.

Our resident "flasher" (photographer) commented about this coin recently:

2017GoldProofFullSovereign200thAnniversaryoftheSovereignCoinGibraltarrevcrop.thumb.jpg.4830640dce75a0b55af16858d8312bf8.jpg

(LC) Better than Pistrucci's?
No, not better, but I like it - love the dragons foot frantically clawing the rim in a vain attempt to get away.  Bravo George!

I invite other TSF members to add their favourite, least favourite, and any other St. George images here, with or without the dragon.

Chards

I’m afraid that most classical images of George offend my susceptibility to realism. Having no saddle and stirrups makes using a lance fiendishly difficult. The lack of bridle means that control of the horse is close to non existent. The lack of leg covering makes sitting on a horse a chafing experience.

I prefer the classical symbolic figure of France - Liberty or Marianne - who is an attractive young lady who appears to have a clothing malfunction.

What a coincidence! Just recently I stumbled upon this new 2021 bullion coin from Russia depicting St. George the Victorious and immediately, under the influence of the classic sovereign design, thought to myself this had to be the lamest depiction of dragon ever. More a lizard than a dragon.

spacer.png

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces302007.html

Then I did some quick research and found out that the coin was probably inspired by old orthodox icons which, for some reason, tend to depict this scene with very little emphasis on the fearsomeness of the dragon:

spacer.png

I must say I really like the Pistrucci's, I'm just not sure why George is naked... that seems a little bit weird...

Edited by CollectForFun

42 minutes ago, Bixley said:

I’m afraid that most classical images of George offend my susceptibility to realism. Having no saddle and stirrups makes using a lance fiendishly difficult. The lack of bridle means that control of the horse is close to non existent. The lack of leg covering makes sitting on a horse a chafing experience.

I prefer the classical symbolic figure of France - Liberty or Marianne - who is an attractive young lady who appears to have a clothing malfunction.

I am not worried about the realism. In any case, the whole dragon thing is allegorical or mythical, and symbolism is historically important for coins and heraldic imagery, however...

I do think you have a very good point.

I think we need a new separate thread for attractive young ladies with clothing malfunctions. Do they have to be on coins?

😎

Chards

12 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

What a coincidence! Just recently I stumbled upon this new 2021 bullion coin from Russia depicting St. George the Victorious and immediately, under the influence of the classic sovereign design, thought to myself this had to be the lamest depiction of dragon ever. More a lizard than a dragon.

Then I did some quick research and found out that the coin was probably inspired by old orthodox icons which, for some reason, tend to depict this scene with very little emphasis on the fearsomeness of the dragon:

I must say I really like the Pistrucci's, I'm just not sure why George is naked... that seems a little bit weird...

I thinks it reflects classical Greek, and later Roman ideals.

Chards

18 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I prefer this depiction. George has remembered to get dressed that morning. He has also remembered to saddle his horse and put on a bridle. He has also given up on using an unsuitable spear and is using a lance which is much better armament for dragon slaying.

20 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I am not worried about the realism. In any case, the whole dragon thing is allegorical or mythical, and symbolism is historically important for coins and heraldic imagery, however...

I think we need a new separate thread for attractive young ladies with clothing malfunctions. Do they have to be on coins?

😎

I would appreciate a separate thread but so as to not alienate too many people it should be restricted to coins. After all we don’t want to inflame our correspondent from Hereford.

My suggestion for ‘Crumpet on Coins’, a suitable title for  the thread I believe, is the Three Graces. Although clothed they look like girls you could spend an enjoyable evening with.

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

12CD8DCB-32CA-4271-84FE-DE529E869C35.jpeg

The one that I saw some time ago and took a dislike to is this gem from the RM.  

2010 “Masterpiece” Series I think?

I think the scene is terribly composed and the woman’s hand looks un-naturally large! G&D is on the left….

26D406B7-D1D0-4A1E-93C8-859F2EAB2A0E.thumb.jpeg.656bc6f905a5ccc920752fdbdd10553c.jpeg

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Evening @dicker, yes this was from the Royal Mint Masterpiece series- a fair old lump of Silver- in a Medal format  with a rather odd 250g weight.  I quite like the design as a concept, but I agree with you, it was kind of flawed due to the disproportionate size of the women, particularly her hand. 

45 minutes ago, dicker said:

The one that I saw some time ago and took a dislike to is this gem from the RM.  

2010 “Masterpiece” Series I think?

I think the scene is terribly composed and the woman’s hand looks un-naturally large! G&D is on the left….

26D406B7-D1D0-4A1E-93C8-859F2EAB2A0E.thumb.jpeg.656bc6f905a5ccc920752fdbdd10553c.jpeg

I think the engraver deserved a round of applause, but someone misunderstood at the awards ceremony when the M.C. said "give her a big hand". 

😎

BTW, Why is she holding a stick of rhubarb?

Chards

2 hours ago, h103efa said:

I like the G & D design on the £5 coin for Prince George's 5th birthday @LawrenceChard

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes, it's nice enough, but...

WTF has it got to do with his birthday?

😎

I like the alternative designs of the George & Dragon too @h103efa, particularly the 2018.  I also think @LawrenceChard the George & Dragon theme for Prince George’s Birthday fits nicely- a distinguished and powerful theme for our future King- what do you think they could have chosen to depict his Birthday instead of the G&D Lawrence?

Anyway, for those who are unaware, or might be interested, the George & Dragon was depicted on three Celebratory Silver Proof £5 Crowns (as well as in Cupronickel Bu & Proof) for Prince George.  Here’s the three from my collection.
The 2013, his first Birthday, is the classic Pistrucci design, which looks splendid in Silver Proof.  The 2015 2nd Birthday reverse was designed by Christopher Le Brun, and the 5th Birthday 2018 reverse design was designed by Jody Clark.  Coincidentally Lawrence, I purchased both the 2015 & 2018 issues from Chards.

662F4B90-0DBB-41F8-98A8-BB959457ED5D.thumb.jpeg.83f051c9da77cee288f9c1f9943ebb3e.jpeg

C2A8A499-D160-4831-8351-8F0534B9493C.thumb.jpeg.cacf1620cd3b750269e32d1ea56598e7.jpeg

144E1019-6106-4CEA-9EA7-99EE6FA341BB.thumb.jpeg.07842c8cdc9ce028f18a70dd5854c384.jpeg

1 minute ago, richatthecroft said:

I like the alternative designs of the George & Dragon too @h103efa, particularly the 2018.  I also think @LawrenceChard the George & Dragon theme for Prince George’s Birthday fits nicely- a distinguished and powerful theme for our future King- what do you think they could have chosen to depict his Birthday instead of the G&D Lawrence?

Anyway, for those who are unaware, or might be interested, the George & Dragon was depicted on three Celebratory Silver Proof £5 Crowns (as well as in Cupronickel Bu & Proof) for Prince George.  Here’s the three from my collection.
The 2013, his first Birthday, is the classic Pistrucci design, which looks splendid in Silver Proof.  The 2015 2nd Birthday reverse was designed by Christopher Le Brun, and the 5th Birthday 2018 reverse design was designed by Jody Clark.  Coincidentally Lawrence, I purchased both the 2015 & 2018 issues from Chards.

662F4B90-0DBB-41F8-98A8-BB959457ED5D.thumb.jpeg.83f051c9da77cee288f9c1f9943ebb3e.jpeg

C2A8A499-D160-4831-8351-8F0534B9493C.thumb.jpeg.cacf1620cd3b750269e32d1ea56598e7.jpeg

144E1019-6106-4CEA-9EA7-99EE6FA341BB.thumb.jpeg.07842c8cdc9ce028f18a70dd5854c384.jpeg

I agree they are all nice enough designs, but what has St. George got to do with Prince George?

Nothing, except for both being called George. There is no mention of Prince George or his birthday on the coin, only on the packaging, and the advertising.

Phineas T. Barnum would have been envious of the RM marketing of these coins, along with other Prince George offerings.

Perhaps we should re-package some of them and promote them on Boy George's birthday?

😎

Chards

23 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I agree they are all nice enough designs, but what has St. George got to do with Prince George?

Nothing, except for both being called George. There is no mention of Prince George or his birthday on the coin, only on the packaging, and the advertising.

Phineas T. Barnum would have been envious of the RM marketing of these coins, along with other Prince George offerings.

Perhaps we should re-package some of them and promote them on Boy George's birthday?

😎

In some ways I agree with you Lawrence but, a nice design that’s understated is sometimes refreshing- and classic commemoratives don’t have to shout out what they are commemorating by daubing an inscription on the coin- take the 1935 Crown for example, everybody knows it’s commemorating King George V Jubilee.  Also, it’s  an alternative George & Dragon design- and the design also doesn’t have anything to do with his 25 year Jubilee.

In years to come, when the Prince ascends to the throne, coins produced for him will be popular, and collectors no doubt, will collect them- and I’m certain that the early coins of his birthday when a Prince, will be readily recognised without an inscription.

Sans inscription here: 

F9E4C80B-4830-49C2-803E-3B177EAA44EB.thumb.jpeg.dccaaa5d975dcae4d8fdd5cf333a6916.jpeg338B8C14-B78B-45D2-A916-7020EFC082AA.thumb.jpeg.96351c6a1ef0c6c3eb8a8398a53a60b1.jpeg